Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Explain fabric, patterns and manufacturers, please

bbstx
10 years ago

As some of you may know from my slipcover thread, I've fallen in love with this fabric

I have found it online as Braemore Ferguson Birch; as Duralee 42106-693; and as Pindler & Pindler Whitetail Birch.

What's the deal? I thought Braemore, Duralee, and Pindler were all manufacturers. Are they just middlemen? I'm so confused.

Comments (8)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I would consider it a toile pattern. There are many that depict life from other eras, as well as botanicals, but what makes them all unique is the use of a 2 or 3 colors. There are also very colorful toiles, but they are not as popular today as they may have been 'in another time'.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, it is a toile. My question wasn't about the pattern per se. It concerned the manufacturer. I thought that a PIndler & Pindler fabric was exclusive to P&P, or that a Duralee fabric could only be found at Duralee. But I've found this same fabric, in the same pattern, and the same colorways at 3 different manufacturers.

My question concerned the fabric industry. Aren't patterns copyrighted? If they are, by whom? Are Duralee, P&P, and Braemore manufacturers? Do they look like 3 different companies but are really all owned by the same company? Instead of manufacturers, are they just distributors?

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

As far as Duralee is concerned (I don't have accounts with the others), there are a few fabrics that are only theirs, but they overlap with several other vendors I carry. Same is true for most of the others. I don't know if anyone has a completely copyrighted line.

• chispa
    10 years ago

You also need to consider that with the last recession, many factories went under, specially for mid/high end goods such as fabric and furniture. I heard that the selection for trim is now much less than it was several years ago and they are made by a handful of factories. I think there was quite a bit of consolidation in the industry these last few years.

My local large design center (Los Angeles) has lots of empty real estate due to vendors going out of business, downsizing or consolidating.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I just want to say that the fabric is beautiful. What do you plan to do with it?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, linelle. I am waffling. When I initially ordered the sample, I was going to make slipcovers for a pair of suede chairs. But when it came in, I just couldn't see it as slipcovers (there is no rational reason).

Then I decided to reupholster a wing chair and ottoman with it. Then I started waffling on that thinking that in years to come, I would probably be happier if my chair were upholstered in a more versatile solid fabric (or tone-on-tone, at most).

So, today I'm considering using the fabric for 2 huge (22x22) pillows on the sofa.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

The companies mentioned are wholesale middlemen. The large fabric manufacturers like P. Kaufmann sell to upholstery fabricators like Century, Henredon, Lexington etc and wholesale fabric houses like Robert Allen, Pindler & Duralee. Sometimes patterns or fabrics are exclusives, but often not.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, bev. I had no idea these companies were middlemen and not manufacturers, nor that P. Kaufmann was a manufacturer. Very interesting to learn about this!