Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinagalgw

Need help to find a pair of chairs for my LR

MarinaGal
10 years ago

A while back I posted about a lounge I was planning to buy from MGBW. I did order it and here it is!

Now I need to find a perfect chair, or two, accompany the lounge and to flank a table centered under the windows at one end of our LR. See the dining chair temporarily keeping the new lounge company? I need one chair there and possibly one on other side of that table you can see the corner of in the photo. The chairs could match but they don't have to. I would love something vintage/antique but will settle for something that looks vintage/antique. I would like something more traditional, maybe tufted, to offset the modern lines of the lounge. Fabric and color TBD - right now I am just looking for a chair with great lines. The chair/s should have a low seat so that it forms a cozy conversation corner with the lounge. This corner of the room is still a work in progress with respect to lighting, accent table, etc.

Would love suggestions!

Comments (26)

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here are a pair of chairs that I am in love with - these are vintage, from a photo in O magazine several years back. I am not looking for pink chairs, but am crazy about the lines of these chairs, the size, the legs, arms - everything! I can't really find anything close to them on line.... yet??

• Olychick
    10 years ago

These are similar but without the curve on the top:

Here is a link that might be useful: tufted armchair

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Not sure about this color with your other brown, but aren't these fab?

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st dibs chairs

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would start at Overstock.com and Wayfair.com--they both have an ample selection and you might find something similar.

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

olychick - wow, the first one is a great match! I have image searched, word searched, but didn't see that one. I am going to contact the company to see where I could find a dealer to get more details and see if I can use my own fabric selection, etc. Thank you!! The other chairs from 1st dibs are wonderful, but too substantial - I need something that is smaller in scale like the first chair you found.

joaniepoanie - thanks! I did a cursory check of both overstock and wayfair using key words but came up dry. You did remind me of another site to check, however - Zinc Door although I bet most if not all of their chairs are on Wayfair.

Another question for anyone reading - have you ever had custom upholstered furniture built? I haven't and really know nothing about it, but wonder whether I could find a local furniture builder and show them the O Magazine photo - can someone copy a chair from just a photo? That is probably a naive question since it seems that so much more goes into making a chair - like the dimensions! Just wondering....

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I love your lounge. Have you checked Room & Board? Your lounge has a clean lined modern look that seems to correspond well to some of the chairs they have.

Also, can you please tell me more about your dining chair?! I'm still looking to find dining room chairs for a beautiful vintage table I purchased a few years ago.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I've had several upholstered pieces made by Cisco Furniture. They have great quality and service. I love that they manufacture right here in LA. They can customize any piece. They don't have that many stores, but they do sell through other furniture stores around the country.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cisco Furniture

• chispa
    10 years ago

Chair #2 could be tufted to look pretty similar to the pink ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Howard Blog

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I remember that lounge. It's yummy!

The pink chairs are gorgeous. We have an upholsterer locally who can copy pretty much anything. It's worth calling around.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I have no idea if this would fit your color scheme but I adore this chair and the color! It's from overstock.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Btw, I love your lounge and what I can see of your room!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Check out the chairs on the page below and scroll way down, quite a variety from which to choose. lol Now I want a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: various chairs

• theclose
    10 years ago

MarinaGal, not sure if you are in the Marina in SF, but if you are there is Furniture Envy, which I believe is on Lombard in the Marina. From what I understand, they copy all the big manufacturers for a lesser price and to your specs. I have heard many good things about them.

Your lounge is gorgeous and I LOVE those pink chairs!!! They would look fab.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

This is similar chair, but seems to be only available in beige linen. It is by Baxton Studio. As a dining chair, the seat is at 18.5", which may be high relative to your chaise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tufted Dining Chair

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Back again, I was off searching for barstools and found this similar chair with rolled arms, and available in some charcoal/greys.

Here is a link that might be useful: rolled arm tufted linen chair

• patricianat
    10 years ago

You have some great choices! Please let us see your completed look.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

One from Z Galleries

Here is a link that might be useful: Tufted Chair

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for so many great ideas! I have just spent time looking through all the links. I will likely have to have whatever chair I purchase re-upholstered (unless it's a new chair where I can specify my own fabric) so that I can get the color I am looking for, which is as yet undetermined, and because I may look for a sunbrella or similar fade-resistant fabric since these chairs will sit directly in sunlight part of each day. So... the lower priced chair options are much appreciated! Thanks beverly, gooster, yayagal, aktillery.

Chispa, mtn, mamorella, depending on what is most cost effective I still may end up going the custom route, so your encouragement is appreciated. Mamorella - I did grow up in the Bay Area but now live on the east coast - my "marina" references where I spend the summer out here! And, I know, aren't those pink chairs just perfection???

Ogoopogo - I have been trolling ebay and Craigslist. I need to go to some consignment stores as well. I also have thoughts of waiting until the Brimfield Antique Fair in May.....

pricklypear - Room & Board is opening a store in the Boston area sometime soon... I am excited. However, I want these LR chairs to be less modern/more traditional to balance out my room which mixes both. The dining chairs I just bought are wonderful. They are from Mitchell Gold as well - I think the name of them is Graham. I love funky dining chairs, but comfort always wins out for me in the end so I chose these. These are tailored nicely, super comfortable, and the fabric selections are really nice - mine is a textured black/brown/gold fabric with a slight sheen. Very pretty with brass fixtures.

I welcome other suggestions if anyone comes across other chairs.... Will be sure to post photos when I find something.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I just got an email from Room and Board and this made me think of your search for chairs. I couldn't copy any colors but this, but they have some wonderful choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: room and board murphy chair

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I don't want to put a damper on all the great ideas, but if you get tufted chairs, know in advance they can be a real pain and especially a velvet fabric as dust collects around each button making it so hard to remove and the little hand vacuum has to come out about twice a week for that purpose if the chairs are dark (don't ask me how I know that). ;-)

• theclose
    10 years ago

Hi MarinaGal,

Not sure if you are checking in lately but this post made me think of your chair quest - if you go down towards the end, KevinMP posted about his Hickory Chair Madison Tufted Side Chair. Looks just like your inspiration photo chair!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0221283314533.html?95

Here is a link to the chair on Hickory Chair's website:

http://www.hickorychair.com/Furniture/All-Furniture/Thomas-O-Brien/i504827-Madison-Tufted-Side-Chair.aspx

Hope this helps!

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mamorella - you are the best!!! These are exactly the right shape! Once I get an idea in my head, I can't get it out, so none of the other chairs the I found, or the kind GWers sent my way, seemed right enough. (My husband can't understand this.... :) And, even better, I am going to the Boston Design Center tomorrow to help my architect pick wallpaper for another of his clients - so I can visit one of the Hickory dealers. Thank you so much!

• theclose
    10 years ago

I am so happy for you! And so happy I could help. Good luck tomorrow.

Shout out to KevinMP for posting his gorgeous chair!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Good luck, I hope that chair works for you.

On the off chance it does not work out for you, this one from BD hit my inbox today -- not as graceful or with quite the same degree of arch, and a bit more squat. I had seen Mamorella's find yesterday, and literally when I opened this email I remembered her post on KevinMP's chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lena, comes in fabrics or COM

• theclose
    10 years ago

gooster, I saw that chair in the catalog too! I was coming here to post about it.

MarinaGal, hope you find the chair you want!

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gooster - that is another great option! I agree that the lines are not as graceful (that Hickory chair is divine) - but I like that the seat is a little lower - which would correspond better with my existing lounge. And there are some Sunbrella options - I am going to request samples today.... thank you!

Mamorella - so funny, I had seen Kevin's blue chair before on GW and LOVED it. It was only later that I saw my inspiration pink chairs in the O magazine spread - I never connected the dots. Unfortunately my time was rushed at the design center Friday so I didn't get to speak to a Hickory dealer, but there is another dealer closer by so hopefully I can get more info about them. Will keep you posted!