Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

MBR - At Last! Colors, Rug Help

localeater
10 years ago

7 years ago this June we moved into our house. When we looked at it I loathed the color of the MBR. Finally, I am taking action.
I am leaning toward painting the room BM Limestone. It's a post and beam home so in addition to the white trim around the three doors and two windows there are woodtones from the beams, the pumpkin pine floors, and a large triple door antique armoire. The bed has an upholstered headboard, which I will be redoing.
The image shows the Limestone paint color, some beam detail, a fabric I am considering for the headboard and the bedding I am leaning toward.
Your thoughts please. Does it work? Can you suggest a lovely, happy rug. For window treatments I would like fabric shades, any ideas on a fabric.
My concern is that the fabric for the headboard is too 'serious' for the bedding and perhaps I would be better off with a solid quilt and then just colorful pillows.
I do also like these lovely Matelasse from Pine Cone Hill

From GW Photos
From GW Photos

From GW Photos

Comments (8)

• fnmroberts
    10 years ago

We refreshed out MBR this past November.

Floors are carpeted in a dark brown and our furniture is dark wood so I wanted a complimentary wall color and solid textiles so the room didn't show current style only.

Walls - C2, Motley at 50%

Drapes, spread - white, Pottery Barn

Comforter, accent pillow - platinum, Pottery Barn

Obviously I like your middle choice for bedding. I view rugs at art underfoot and so long as a color coordinates with either walls or textiles it will most likely go well.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bedroom

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

the headboard does seem a bit formal, though it's hard to tell from the swatch, and all the bedding choices seem more lighthearted/casual.

are you more married to the headboard fabric than the printed bedding? i love the printed bedding - it's special. i think you could find a better headboard match that's just as pretty but maybe a better coordinate for your more casual bedding, but i am also not one for rules about matching. :) so if you love the headboard fabric and you love the bedding, just call it "eclectic" and it works. haha

did you want to keep the whole room in the yellow/gray pallet? or were you looking to introduce another color in the rug/shades?

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your responses.
    fnmroberts, your MBR looks lovely. And, I know what you mean about keeping the bedding a bit neutral
    maggiepie: the headboard fabric doesnt have to bring in yellow the little dots on the fabric are really a beigey wheat I think it is the bedding I should let go of, it is really too cottagey and while I like it I think I will tire of it.
    I found two other options that I like, my husband prefers the fsecond, I am undecided

From GW Photos

From GW Photos

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The solid goes better with the headboard than the print, but the headboard fabric looks more modern to me than the rustic style of the home....

• User
    10 years ago

Are you set on that fabric for the headboard? If it were me, I think I'd go with a solid. That way your bedding options are more open, and can be changed more easily and less expensively. Unless you sew and could recover the headboard yourself.

I love the 2nd bedding in your last post. In fact, I think I'm going to use the same bedding in gray (which in real life is more brownish-gray) for my MBR remodel. But, if you're going with the patterned headboard, the 1st option looks better, IMO.

Here is my mood board I created:

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be making the headboard so I am open to additional fabric choices, I have that fabric in the house and I thought it was a neutral palette to build upon, but maybe not.
    I dont think I would term our house rustic. It is a contemporary post and beam, the beams themselves have a rustic edge. My style is unfussy, with clean lines, I like texture.
    Perhaps just a plain linen or tweedy headboard with piping detail.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My bad...from your description I was thinking rustic, but if it's more contemporary then it's fine.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie. I probably should have posted pictures of the actual space but it's a little messy, :(