Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee1

Does anyone remember these cabinets? Finally a new home..

zipdee1
9 years ago

When we moved into this house I cursed it for it's darkness. But .. A lot of what made it dark were things I loved about it .. The big front porch across the whole front, the mature shade maple trees. So instead of hating it, I knew I had to out think it. Complex muted safer colors that look lovely in a house full of sunlight, turned to unreadable mud on the walls here. Instead lots of white and pops of bright colors were in order .. Simple colors, that read true.

Our bathroom is no different.. Lots and lots of white, tad black, classic shiny chrome for some sparkle and a pop of bright color. Remember these metal vintage medicine cabinets ? I found at an Army Navy surplus store of all places. I had My DH spray them in an enamel jadite color, unite them with a wood top. I used them in my dining area for a while and now they are my laundry folding station/extra storage. Finally getting around to finishing our bathroom. I was so glad they found a home in the house again. :)

{{gwi:2138486}}

Comments (24)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Cute cabinets, but I don't recall seeing them before. What vintage, and what was the original color?

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Love it. Congratulations, looks fantastic.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Wonderful job, I love using vintage pieces.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I remember those cabinets and your lovely kitchen very well! They look great in the bathroom. And I'm really loving the tile work! Nice to hear from you again!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Of course I remember them - I still covet them!!! LOVE the new location - no wait, not really. They look totally out of place in there and you must dispose of them before the decorating police find out. i'll come get them :-)

• amck2
    9 years ago

I just love them! The perfect accent color. Also really, really like your floor tiles.

• zipdee1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the nice comments everyone! :) I'm thrilled to put these cabinets back in the house, I've had them in storage.

Errant, they were originally a light industral blue color, I'd date them from the 40's probably.

Sue, ha :D I was wondering if I'd ever get to reuse them again, I almost sold them about a year ago, but decided I'd keep them in case we got around to the bathroom re-do.

Amck and WMA89, thank you for the complement on the tile floor .. I've always wanted hex tiles in a daisy pattern, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Bathroom isn't totally finished, we have another weekend or two in here to go. I'm trying to decide if I want to put cabinet doors in front of the washer/drier .. Part of me really doesn't see the point. We are a family of five, three teen girls .. They run about non-stop. The small cabinet beside them will have a door. The mirror above the sink is not staying, I just had it here so we threw it up until I figure out what I want up there.

Few pics .. Not done, but you can see what the rest looks like so far. :)

{{gwi:2138487}}

{{gwi:2138488}}

{{gwi:2138489}}

• mary_lu_gw
    9 years ago

Love it all! Can I ask where you found the sink? We need to replace our bathroom sink and your sink would be perfect!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

zipdee1 - those look WONDERFUL! Great new space! Now just how tall are those ceilings?! Love the flowered, tiled floor too.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

signature hardware has a similar one

Here is a link that might be useful: console sink

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Love all of it, especially the cozy shower and old cabs.... love the apple-ish green with the black and white tile. And yes! Washers behind doors would be a nuisance. Always love peeks of your house. Is it still that pretty yellow?
    Marti

• zipdee1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marylu, the sink is a porcher lutezia console. Unfortunately I don't think they make them anymore now. I bought this one quite a while ago on close out and it's been sitting in storage too. Sorry I couldn't help out more!

Oldbat2be, thank you! Our ceilings are a couple inches shy of 10 feet.

Marti, yes our house is still compatible cream. :) Although this coming fall it's time to repaint again and the house across from us and right next door are both now a similar color. Lol So it's probably time to put on my thinking cap and pull out the paint deck. If I could find the perfect shade of bluish green, I'd probably head in that direction. :)

Thank you everyone again for the kind comments, we are currently working on our bedroom at the same time. Once we get a little farther, I'll put up some pics if you'd all like to see them. :)

This post was edited by Zipdee1 on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 8:12

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

You have created an absolutely perfect room. I love everything. I, too, coveted those cabinets when I first saw them and remember haunting Craigslist for a while looking for similar even though I certainly have no place for them.

Your house is one of my very favorites.

• zipdee1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awe, Dee, Thank you! What a nice thing for you to say, made my day. :)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Love it - the cabinets, sink, tile, beadboard - all of it! What a cheerful, bright space you've created!

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

I think I'd enjoy laundry so much more in this room!! Looks great. I just love that green color, so pretty with the black and white. It looks more vintage evolved than "done" which is amazing IMO.

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

I think I'd enjoy laundry so much more in this room!! Looks great. I just love that green color, so pretty with the black and white. It looks more vintage evolved than "done" which is amazing IMO.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I too remember those cabinets. I probably even saved a picture of them in hopes of making something similar someday, knowing I probably never would. Too many ideas, too little time and not enough rooms, or houses, to use them all if I had the time!

Did you ever finish the booth off your kitchen?
    Do you have an online photo album of your home to share? I love everything you do.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

I adore those cabinets -- what a great find. They look great in the room.

• gmp3
    9 years ago

Wonderful job, I love it!

• User
    9 years ago

ADORE YOUR CABINETS! Love them, the sink, the entire bath and laundry room.....would you please post pics of the rest of the house?

• zipdee1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate you all taking a look at the pics and your feedback!

Justgotobeme .. Honestly, we haven't done much with the house in the last couple of year, besides up keep and painting when needed. Our girls are all teenagers now, I have a Senior, a junior and a freshman .. We decided since they were growing up so quick that we would spend time as a family going and doing the last couple of years. We have two boats we keep at the coast now and spend a lot of time there, deep sea fishing and exploring the outter banks. I figured the house will still be here when the kids go off to college, but wow .. They are growing up quick!!

Our bedroom and bathroom were the only two rooms left to be redone. December 17th was our twenty year anniversary, so as a present to each other we decided to get them finally revamped. :)

I have an album of us working on the house over the years, so in some of the pics the rooms aren't quite complete. As you all know I have an estate auction addiction, so the house is always in flux .. as I find new things and move stuff here and there. I've always kind of gone for a collected over the years look. I'll link the album below if anyone would like to take a look. :) The gym pictures are in the cottage, you'll see pics of the big house and our cottage around back.

Thanks again everyone :)

Here is a link that might be useful: House and cottage pictures.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Your bathroom is gorgeous, I love every bit of it! Especially the open shower and the floor tile!

Thanks for posting the link to your album. Now I remember your beautiful kitchen, with your awesome vintage range and green Hoosier! And I remember when you were working on the kids' room upstairs-- it is so fun and bright.

I really admire the way you combine historical with functional, cheerful choices. Your house just seems so happy! I love it.