Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redoing room as fourth birthday present for dd

Posted by crl_ (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:05

I am excited to be planning my daughter's fourth birthday present in April. We are redecorating her room. This quilt was made by my grandmother and will be dd's now. I let dd choose her sheet color. She wants pink of course because she's three.

I'm forty-three and not quite so enchanted with pink, plus I'm not sure I want to have to repaint the walls in three years when she is turning seven and is over pink.

So I'm thinking of pale blue for the walls and bought some Benj. Moore samples yesterday. I have mystic blue, cumulus cotton and summer shower. The blues in the quilt are very true blues so I'm thinking of staying in that color range. Any thoughts on the wall color?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redoing room as fourth birthday present for dd

Beautiful quilt! I have one similar in the same colors, but it's folded in the LR.

This is just me, but I find all shades of blue in a bedroom to be depressing. My vote is for very pale yellow or very pale pink. I think pale yellow would bring out the yellow stars in the quilt. If you do either color, a barely there color would be cute!

o

Continuing. . . .

Her room already has the white ruffled blackout panels from Pottery Barn Kids for curtains and we will keep those.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruffled curtains

o

Here's a link to a pretty soft spring yellow -- then you could add LOTS of pink accents (like a wall of family/pet/vacation photos framed in bright pink)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Fresh Butter 290 -- pale yellow

o

Oakleyok, isn't funny how we are all so different about color? I do like yellow bedrooms, but I am really drawn to blue, so peaceful.

I think pink is out. It seems very common for girls to reject pink around first grade and I'm not going to ready to repaint quite that soon. So I don't want to risk it.

o

Perhaps paint just one wall in this strong pink -- and the rest in fresh white?

Or perhaps just paint the frame of a mirror or an extra chair in this pink?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Pink Corsage 1349

o

Hmm, I will have to give some thought to painting some yellow samples. I do intend to bring more pink in through accents. Probably a lamp/lamp shade and I am thinking about making a piece of art for her room that would incorporate the pink.

I am planning to let dd choose her sheets. What do you think of the pale and bright pink ginghams and polka dots from Pottery Barn Kids? I need to curate the choices before I show dd.

Here is a link that might be useful: PBK gingham bedding

o

Following up with the polka dot bedding link

Here is a link that might be useful: PBK polka dot bedding

o

Fresh Butter is not really a soft yellow. We had it in a powder room for a few years and finally repainted. I would best describe it as "egg yolk".

I think the pink stars are kind of a coral, so what about a pale peach? Your daughter will think it's pink. Peach, soft yellow, and blue is a pretty combination in a flower garden.

o

Your blues look too baby blue to me and it might make the room look more like a nursery with the blue and pink. How about a soft apple or lime-ish green or similar...green and pink look good together and will be easy to match to new bedding when she is out of her pink phase.

o

May flowers, it must be a monitor thing. There is no coral or peach in the quilt. It is very definitely pink.

Joaniepoanie, I will give green some thought. I find it a tricky color as the dark greens are too dark for my taste as a wall color, but the pale greens can be rather hospital-y looking to me m

I have been browsing blue and pink girls rooms for a while and like the combination. It hasn't struck me as being automatically for a nursery, so that's an interesting observation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and pink room

o

I love pink with yellow (but not egg yolk yellow-ha).

Have fun.

o

Because I am incredibly lazy (but prefer the adjective "efficient"), I would paint the room a soft taupe that goes with every color. Then, accessorize with the white curtains and all kinds of pink. You can always change out all of the décor to whatever color she likes as the years go by, and you won't have to worry about re-painting to "match." And, soft taupe always seems to look "classic."

But, I also love neutrals and earth tones, so that's just me. :-)

o

I agree with Kees Lover - choose a neutral and decorate around it with pillows, maybe painting a shelving unit (pink). Taupe works, the current popular "griege" trend may not be cheery enough for a child's room. Nothing wrong with a fresh soft white and painted accessories. The quilt will stand out against white and a few selected accessories.

o

I tested Summer Shower ages ago in our bedroom. Blue bedrooms just aren't for me, HOWEVER, I find them to be stunning for little girls rooms when mixed w/ pink.

It's just paint - one of the easiest, cheapest things to change out as they grow IMHO.

o

The furniture will be some hand me downs I got from a neighbor. Currently stored in the garage so I can't get a good picture. But I plan to paint it white. There is a twin headboard, a small dresser and a very small armoire with a mirrored front. Dd's room is small so no other furniture will fit. There are some very small built in shelves, which are not quite symmetrical so I don't want to call attention to them by painting them a strongly contrasting color.

I forgot to mention that the floor is hardwood, finished dark. It's the same floor through the house (except for bathrooms and laundry room).

The whole rest of the house is neutral. We just moved in a year ago and the whole interior had been painted a series of pale neutrals when the place was put in the market. I like the effect in some spaces, but I miss having some color on the walls and I think a child's room is a pretty good space for some color. I feel no need for the kids' rooms to have continuity with the rest of the house. So I would really like to use some color on the walls in dd's room.

Both pale yellow and pale blue go with almost every other color, to my eye. So I think either would be a good choice in terms of fitting in with future color preferences.

Thanks!

o

Try BM Palest Pistachio.

o

Paint is relatively cheap to change, true. But way more work that just buying new bedding. ;). That's why I'm trying to concentrate the pink in those kinds of things.

o

Take a look at Quiet Moments by Benjamin Moore. It's a very soft color, green/blue/grey. I have it in my master bedroom. Link below is a pic of it from a master bedroom (online, not my own), but it depicts the color well.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Quiet Moments

o

I will take a look at palest pistachio. Is it a true green?

Thanks!

o

I absolutely love Quiet Moments and painted a guest room that color once. I actually currently have a sample from when I was choosing our bathroom color. It doesn't look right with the quilt unfortunately. The quilt colors are all very true coors and the in between color of Quiet Moments makes the quilt look off (or vice versa). So I thought a more true blue would work better. The blues in the quilt are what I would describe as cornflower blue.

o

I see what you mean about Quiet Moments.

Cornflower blue is a beautiful blue. My absolute favorite blue in the BM collection is Van Courtland blue. I rent my house out (I live on Cape Cod), and I painted the summer children's TV/game room Van Courtland blue so that it would be a cool, calming room for kids after a hot day at the beach. I loved it so much once it was up in that room that I repainted my kitchen in the Van Courtland blue! I had painted it in Nantucket Fog, but I fell so in love with the Van Courtland that I redid my kitchen. It has a very cornflower blue to it, but also Colonial, so you'd have to hold a chip up to the quilt. But it is a truly gorgeous blue, IMO.

o

Thanks! I will take a look at Van Courtland.

o

i have no specific suggestions for colors, but i think i would be inclined to go with a blue or perhaps even a lilac for the walls... i don't think yellow paint with that quilt would be a color i would be drawn to...
i like the polka dot sheets, esp for a little girl!!

o

Dd might love lilac. She's a fan of purple too. I think there is a tiny bit of purple in the quilt. I'll take another look. I actually have a couple of grey-lavender samples from painting the bathroom, the brighter one I didn't use might work. I can't remember the paint names, but I did write them in the back of the poster board when I painted the samples.

So funny, I knew Van Courtland sounded familiar. I'm ninety percent sure that's the color I used in my ds' room when he was four. It was a different house. That room only had one small window and I always thought I had gotten the color too dark. I used it in a downstairs room with more light and liked it much better. If the samples I have seem too pale after I get them painted out, I will have to give Van Courtland a try. This room has more light than ds's did so it might work.

(We all have had the plague this week and while the kids are mostly better, dh and I are still feeling dreadful so it may take me another week to get to the paint sampling IRL. )

Thank you all so much.

o

I think this Etsy pillow is adorable if I go with blue. And it has stars in the design, which ties into the quilt and the art work I am thinking of making n

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy princess pillow

o

The room I painted the Van Courtland blue has a lot of natural light. Two windows (although, not a lot of light comes in through them), a sky light - lots of morning light, and the front door, which is a fully clear glass door, and the matching glass panel next to it. I rent my house out to vacationers, and that color is constantly commented on.

Those Etsy pillows are absolutely adorable. If your daughter is into princesses, check this out for her wall: see link. Also check out "How to be a Ballerina"

Here is a link that might be useful: How to be a Princess

o

Nothing wrong with redoing the room, but it just seems like an iffy gift for a 4 year old birthday present. It 'feels' like it's more to satisfy the gifter here.. So go for it, but I hope there will be something that dd can play with and maybe appreciate. I would start with whatever colors she likes besides pink.

o

Thank you! She is into princesses, though not all in like some little girls--refuses to wear princess costumes for example. She loves pink, but is bound and determined to keep up with her big brother in sports. She's fabulous but a little tough to pin down--enthusiastically interested in almost everything. I think she would love a little bit of princess, but maybe not everything for this room.

There's not a ton of wall space in her room and I am thinking I will make a piece of art for over her dresser. I want to punch stars from cardstock in the colors of the quilt and then use the stars to spell her name on a piece of white paper. Then frame it. So the effect is a little bit like the quilt exploded and rearranged itself into her name. It looks cool in my head anyway.

Then I was looking for something very lightweight to go over her headboard--we are in earthquake country. Maybe one of those twine and clothespin type art display things. I found a really cute one at Land of Nod, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe the colors are too bright or something?

Here is a link that might be useful: Land of nod art display

o

Sasafras, wow, that came across as rather harsh.

Dd has asked recently for a big girl bed and we told her she could have it for her birthday. She has not asked for a single toy, likely because she already has many as well as shelves full of books.

It is also a bit of a tradition in our family in that ds has gotten new rooms for his birthday a couple of times as he has outgrown the previous one. He remembers his rooms fondly and was always pleased with them as I have always chosen themes and colors around his interests (his current room is orange and black and a Giants theme, I assure you that was not done to please me).

When asked her favorite color, dd lists pretty much every color in a big long rush and I am using the color she always lists first, pink, for many elements in the room.

It would please me to leave her room in its current simple green, white and cream nursery state. Much less work and I love it. But I am trying to accommodate dd's request and acknowledge that she is getting older and has preferences about her room.

o

I love the blue and pink room! But...and you knew that was coming, lol...It works for me because the blue is at the bottom of the wall with the white on top giving the room a bright and cheerful appearance. It doesn't dominate the wall.

I have those PB sheets for my own bed, in green. Love them. Good quality.

o

Don't take Sasafras's comment as harsh, or personal. Consider it helpful, in fact. It is easy to lose perspective, and that lone voice willing to pull you off the ledge can be a helpful one, but often mistaken for criticism. Children are so charming, and it's easy to go a tad overboard by wanting to relive out own childhoods through them or being so in love with them that it's hard to say no, etc. One absolutely should have fun decorating their children's rooms, and children need their own space in which to develop their personalities and interests and, mostly, to feel safe and secure, for sure. On the other hand, American mothers, as a culture, right now are over-indulgent (IMO) and often create a breeding ground for narcissism in their children (which comes back to haunt the parents (and everyone else!) later!).

So, you can get her a Helen Doodle "How to Play Soccer" or "How to be a Pirate"! Lol. She's got a ton of them for boys and girls. That clothespin thing is cute. But don't over do it! Children don't need overstimulation either and need to learn how to be "down" too.

Just MHO.

o

Oakleyok, her room will end up with a fair bit of white, between the ruffled curtains, the white built in shelves, the white trim, and the white painted furniture. So although the white won't be in the same place, I think the proportion might be about the same. That would be true no matter what color the walls are as all the white things are more or less fixed as white.

Tibbrix, soccer art of some kind is a good idea. I found a very cute, very cheap art piece on etsy. It's about the right price considering that three months ago dd was insisting she was going to play baseball this spring and then she started insisting on soccer. I think it will be a awhile before her interests are fixed enough to invest a lot of money in art based on them. ;)

Any more thoughts on the sheets? Issues I'm not seeing with the PBK dots or gingham or different suggestions? I want to let dd pick so I need to get the options together to show her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inexpensive etsy soccer art

o

Tribes, I forgot to tell you, the prints you linked are so cute! I'm going to save that link for the future. Right now, dd can't read yet and I think a lot of the charm in those is in the text.

I went ahead and ordered the etsy soccer print sans text. With the number four on the jersey and the color combination, plus the price (under $10 shipped) it seems like a winner.

Thanks for the idea to look for soccer art!

o

That etsy soccer art is also adorable. etsy has great stuff.

You may ignore this, but I don't think it is wise to let 4 year olds make these choices. They're too young. They WANT you to make these kinds of decisions for them. A 4 year old cannot think long term, and as you say, her opinion will change by the minute, which puts pressure on her when you've let her make the decision. @ 8, they can start making these kinds of decisions. If you leave it to her, you are handing all your power, as her mother, over to her at a very, very young age, and that will come to no good.

You pick out a set of sheets, bring them home, and put them on her bed. And that is that. Those are the sheets she'll sleep in for the next few years whether she likes them or not. Children must learn adaptation skills. That is a skill; learning to adapt to even things one doesn't particularly like. Mothers who set about making the world adapt to their child rather than the other way around are asking for big trouble down the line. You're the mother. At four years old, your job is to make decisions for her.

I know I sound snarky and school marmish, and I really don't mean to (hard when limited to the written word). But so many mothers now think being a mother means indulging their child's ever wish. It doesn't. It means raising a person who will be a productive, civilized, intelligent, responsible human being when they grow up. And that foundation starts right away.

Have a ball decorating dd's room; you should. But try to keep perspective that this person is only 4. She needs, and wants, you to made these decisions.

o

Tribbix,

Isn't it interesting how this discussion about decorating a room has wandered all over the place and is now on how to parent.

I believe strongly in letting children make some decisions. How else are they to learn that crucial skill? Choosing sheets from a limited selection is a perfect opportunity for this IMO.

o

crl, you sound defensive. Please don't be. No one means to be putting you on the defensive here.

Children also need to learn the critical skill of driving a car, but not at age 4. Age 4 is for very short-term decision making, like what bedtime story do they want to hear, or what toy do they want to play with at the moment. They are not capable of making long-term decisions, which room decorating involves. There are ramifications to handing over too much control at a very young age: like I said, narcissism, self-centeredness, believing the world owes you something, etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that you want to be the best mother you can and that you want to raise the best person you can. Wise people keep open minds and are always open to new ways of thinking about things.

Having said that, you are right: this is not a forum about parenting; in addition, unsolicited advice is rarely, if ever, welcome.

o

This is so funny ...
So many times women come here for input on how to do their child's room and are told to let their child have input.
Now crl is abdicating her responsibilities as a parent for letting her child have a say.
DD wants pink walls ~mom is trying to find an alternative color .
As far as sheets go ...THEY ARE SHEETS !!
She's not picking out what color for the interior of the car.
Yes, she will change her decorating taste as she grows
but that's OK ...
Perhaps a lesson there.
She's 4..
Raise your hand if you have ever change your mind about a decorating decision.
Maybe we could focus on what crl is teaching her daughter~
Give and take
Compromise
Working together to reach a goal
satisfactory to all involved.
Side Bar~ Perhaps if my mother had let me paint my room pink as a 4 yo I wouldn't have the pink bedroom I have now ☺

o

My two cents...paint the walls pink! She'll be over pink too soon and you may wish you had indulged her love for it, while you could. My niece had pink walls and loved them! Easy enough to paint over them...just make it light pink :)

o

Sigh - I was basing my own commentary (not advice) on this: "I am excited to be planning my daughter's fourth birthday present in April. We are redecorating her room. This quilt was made by my grandmother and will be dd's now. I let dd choose her sheet color. She wants pink of course because she's three."

I did fail to offer the color I would put up for the walls, only because the OP already indicated she did not want to paint them pink. I would paint the walls pink if the goal is to please the kiddo!

My daughter wasn't all that interested in decor at age 3 and 4...she wanted cake and ice cream and My Little Ponies. Times are sure changed.

o

My DD at that age had the glow-in-the dark stars and butterflies on her ceiling. Also, a pink canopy and pink curtains, pink flokati (the latter two well into the teen years.). Didn't stop her from playing soccer and developing into a top athlete.

o

Thanks

o

At the risk of offending anyone...it's a lovely quilt, but is it going to hold up in the room of a four year old? If it can be repeatedly washed and a few stains won't be a problem, then I say go for it. But, if it's more of an heirloom (did your grandmother make several quilts?) or you believe everything should be used and enjoyed, then wonderful.

Whatever you decide, I agree...a little girl will probably be more excited with the accessories then the overall choices in the room. If you find some furry purple pillows or a big unicorn throw pillow/cushion to lay on, it will probably be one of the things she most remembers. My brother can still remember the latch hook tiger rug he had at 3...that our grandmother made. That and Tony Tiger doll is about all I remember from his room too...and I was 6 :)

o

My niece's bedroom is BM pale sea mist, iirc. She has a comforter with pink, lavender green and light blue. The room is full of pink and lavender. It looks nice. When she tires of the pink, I think the Wall color can work with other choices.

I was thinking the same thing as LL: Is a quilt really suitable for a little girl? Will you put a comforter down and use the quilt at the end of the bed?

o

FWIW, i think it is great to let a young child make some choices!!! lol
and, i can't imagine how that can be construed as permissive or indulgent parenting!!! ???
i guess we all want different levels of control.......

o

The quilt is in decent condition, but has been used for most of its existence (though not since I have had it). It is also not particularly unique or fabulous. In short, it's not a museum piece. There are also other, better, family quilts that will eventually be mine. I am also of the bent that things should be used and enjoyed.

So I am fine with dd using the quilt. If it ends up damaged beyond further use, I won't be excited about that or anything, but it will be okay.

Thank you.

o

I have a few thoughts to add about the room. crl, I agree that that girls seem to get over pink around age 7. When my girls were 4 they asked for a pink room, we did green walls with pink bedding instead and by the time they were done with pink, the bedding needed to be swapped out anyway, so we made a switch to green and lavender. I'd chose either a color that makes switching color combos easy, or a neutral.

You asked about the sheets. Do you have a local PB Kids? I'd take the quilt in and look at it against the sheeting. I think PB Kids sheeting is some of the best around. It really holds up. We have the gingham and love it. The polka dots are sweet and less dramatic than the gingham.

I have an idea for lightweight and inexpensive art. I got this idea from PB years ago and then went home and made it myself. Chose a few silhouette images you and your daughter like, something simple like an animal, or a princess, or a race car, whatever catches your eye. Print them out and cut them out. Get a few fabrics that you like and some heavy felt, all in colors that work with the room and have enough contrast between them. You can get fabric scraps or just 1/4 yards. Get blank canvases that each image will fit on. Cover each canvas with one fabric. You can just glue it. Pin each silhouette to a contrasting fabric or felt and cut it out. Glue the silhouette images to the fabric covered canvases and hang them up. I made a few of these. I think I did a puppy and a couple of birds with different size and depth canvases. If you like the idea, I could probably dig one out and take a pic for you.

o

I don't have any "judgemental advice" - just a suggestion based on recent experience.

You mentioned that you don't want to have to deal with repainting when it is time to change bedding and I certainly agree with that.

My DIL painted my GD's room a bright, vibrant green at least four years ago and the bedding chages quite frequently :). For some reason, they just love to buy new comforters - they love those bed-in-a-bag sets! She started out with pink and black zebra print, moved to bright turquoise and lime green, has had pink and green. They pick up super cheap, funky pillows, scatter rugs, etc and they have fun with it. To add to the mix, her other grandmother sews - therefore, she has a good choice of home made quilts and comforters. I think I have seen some "purples" rotating thru the room also :)

I am going to sugges a color similar to BM Ryegrass or perhaps an even brighter green. It would look awesome with the current quilt, yet give you lots of flexibility as her bedding colors change.

Am attaching a cute girl's room just to show how pretty Ryegrass looks with pink and white.

You and you daughter should just have fun with this room - remember - you can't "mess it up".

Here is a link that might be useful: Girls room - green walls - pink and white

o

Do you have an IKEA nearby? If yes, check out their sheets and duvet covers. They are inexpensive and easily changed out.

With respect to wall color. I love, love blue, but it's really hard to pick as a wall color. I have/had three blue rooms and one blue accent wall, but the successful ones are darker or more into greenish blue (Yarmouth Blue, Lucerne, van Deusen; SW Blue Plate).

I'd probably go with a light yellow (we used BM Lighthouse, I think or a little lighter), which has served our DD well. After the pink/purple phase, we had the fuchsia phase and anything dotted, then aqua/Tiffany blue. It all worked well with the yellow.

I think it's a lovely gift.

o

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I will be checking out all the color suggestions. The idea of a darker green is growing on me a bit. I will definitely give that some thought.

o

I added lily pad green to my sample collection today and pulled out my already painted violetta sample. I seem to be in the expanding stage of color options at the moment. Lol. Hoping to actually paint the samples tomorrow and then enter the narrowing phase. Thank you all for the color and art input so far!

In the mean time, I was revisiting my etsy favorites and came across an adorable pouf I saved some time ago. There would be just enough room for it in between the dresser and the bookshelf and I thought it might make a sweet little reading nook. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy pouf

o

Just wanted to say I love the pouf!!! Its darling!

o

I'm all in favor of reading nooks! And that pouf is very cute. Or maybe a pink bean bag?

o

This pouf comes filled with bean bag beans according to the etsy shop. So would it be about the same comfort as a bean bag, I wonder? The pouf is soooo cute, but if a regular beanbag would be much more comfortable, then I should take a look at those. There's not enough room for a chair I don't think so I think a bean bag or pouf would be the best options?

Thanks!

o

FWIW, my daughter is almost 10 and still loves pink. We painted her room a soft, peachy-pink when she was about 4 and she still loves it. We do have white beadboard so that cuts the pink a little, but it has grown on me and I've asked her a few times if she'd like to repaint it and she looks at me like I'm crazy. And she still plays sports, likes science and is not afraid to wrestle with her older brother :)

We've also gone through several versions of the PBK sheets. I love the gingham, it's a nice pattern that seems to act like a neutral and they aren't horribly expensive. We've had a PBK quilt with a background of blue/white and now she has PBteen fushia duvet with PBK sheets. They have all gone with the pink walls. I think the key is to get one that isn't too bubble-gum colored.

PS - LOVE the pouf!

o

Adorable pouf. Have you checked out bm pale sea mist? Our daughter has pink and lavender everything. I love the way the pale mist complements everything. I think the pouf would look fantastic in her room. I just may have to make one.

o

Before you get a pouf or a beanbag google "dangers of beanbags" and read the things to look for on jazzybeanbag site. I'm not connected to them or recommending them, just was a site I found that looked like it had good info. I was going to buy beanbags for my GK's and in doing some searching learned how unsafe they can be.

o

Just to be clear, I don't think liking pink or not liking pink has any correlation to playing sports or not playing sports. I'm not sure where that idea came from, but it has popped up a couple of times and I do want to apologize if I inadvertently gave the impression that I wanted to discourage a love of pink so that dd would play soccer. (FWIW, ds also looovvved pink when he was three. And I bought him a pink soccer ball and he had a pink polo shirt and various other pink things. But I didn't paint his room pink either. ;). )

Dd really liked the bright pink polka dot sheets from PB Teen. But she was asking about flowers and I did find the tiny flower sheets after she went to bed. Think these would look good with the quilt? Bonus, they are on sale. Thinking I will show her in the morning and let her chose between those two options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny flower sheets from PBK

o

Thanks for the tip on the bean bag filler. I could order the etsy pouf sans filler (and it would be correspondingly cheaper). Then I would need to fill it myself. I'm seeing some possibilities on the blogosphere, but wonder if anyone has good ideas?

o

crl: It's more than just the filler; it's also the zippers, seams, etc. The article explains-sorry I can't link.

o

I read the link below. As I understand it the primary concern is that the filler can be a suffocation hazard.

There is also the possibility of a child climbing inside the bag and suffocating. I think that is likely very similar to the possibility of a child climbing inside a duvet cover and suffocating? I suppose the difference would be that duvet covers are typically made of lighter weight fabrics that would be more likely to allow a child to breath even if stuck inside?

As I understand the zipper issue, there isn't a concern over the zipper itself being a hazard. Rather the recommendation is that the zipper be designed to prevent a child from opening the bean bag chair to avoid the above described suffocation hazards. This can apparently be achieved by either a zipper that only unlocks with a separate tool or a zipper that is disabled. I suppose I could contact the etsy store about a lockable zipper, though I don't know how difficult those are to obtain nor what the cost is nor whether they complicate sewing in some way. I was assuming that I could also just permanently disable the zipper after I stuffed the pouf. But I am not a seamstress and perhaps it is not that straightforward to disable a zipper?

I did not see anything about the seams being a hazard and am having some trouble figuring that possibility out? Everything made of fabric has seams. . .

If there is some additional hazard, I am missing it.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer watch bean bag link

o

i love the polka dots, but any fun sheet set that your daughter loves is best!!

my kids spent little time in chairs... they loved being on their beds and on the floor! i think a beanbag would be great and probably more comfortable than a pouf??? although as a 'decor item' a pouf might be more desirable??
there are so many 'risks' for kids- almost everything could cause injury--- but most 4 yos are much different than a 4 mth or 14 mth child! by age of 4, keeping my kids free from head injuries and orthopedic injuries was much more of a concern for me!! they were very active! but, every parent needs to assess their own home situation and child, for sure!

o

Dd chose the flowers so they have been ordered. I got two sets and will get a couple more solids as back up--maybe from IKEA--I like to keep three or four sheet sets around for kids just in case of illness.

Still thinking on the pouf. Might order it sans stuffing and just stuff it with ordinary pillow fill. Dd is pretty much past trying to mouth things, but she likes to make big messes still so the bean bag beans could end up all over. I'm thinking the regular stuffing, coupled with a couple of small stitches to close up the zipper post stuffing should be safe for her. I might need to do some careful measuring to see how well it would fit before committing--it's a small room.

Thanks for all the help!

o

I love the pouf! Just stitch over the zipper...you can always take it off if you need to wash it, but she's going to be four. I'm guessing the hazard will be over fairly soon.

o

OMG that pouf is sooooo adorable! I just love amy butler fabrics and actually have several. I should get off my duff and try to make something like that.

I will add that I asked about my 7 year old's room who wants green and will add "stem green" by BM as one to look at. It is super bright and happy. I have a sample pot I am going to give a try but I think it might be a winner for us.

o

If you're up for another blue suggestion then try Meander Blue by Sherwin Williams. My teenager chose it a couple of years ago, and it's beautiful. It's a versatile light aqua. She had bright pink bedding and other colors at first. Now she's taken those out and is using grays, yellow, and teal. It really goes well with a lot of colors. Of course it needs to match your lovely quilt first:)

o

Small paint color update. I painted my samples today. I really like the green Lily Pad in the abstract, but it doesn't work with the quilt at all. When I looked at the quilt more closely to figure out why I realized there are three distinct greens in the quilt. One is bottle green, one is mint and one is a pale olive. None of them are actually greens I like. Lol. At least not as a wall color. I have a few other greens around the house (wall color in one room, clothing and such) and none of them look right with the quilt. So green is out.

The mystic blue and the cumulus cotton look identical to me. Lol. I am sure there must be some difference, but I can't see it. At least not in artificial light. Both look good with the quilt. Summer shower also looks good. It seems to edge slightly more green than the other two.

The violetta I already had painted from a previous project also looks really good with the quilt.

So I have some good options and some time to look at them in different lights and then decide.

I will try to take pictures in day light for you all.

Thank you all!

o

Took a snapshot of the quilt with the mystic blue, violaletta and summer shower paint samples. They are in that order left to right in the picture. I'm leaning towards summer shower or an even paler blue.

o

My eye goes to summer shower. The other blue feels a little too bright, and the violaletta seems a little "dead" with the quilt, which, by the way, I love!!

I've helped my daughter do her room when she was small, and now our GD's room. GD is artistic & now has each wall in her room painted a different color, which I know sounds just awful, but it is really awesome. Even the painter commented on her choices being great. There's a light blue, orange sherbet, lavender & green. I would never have the nerve to do it, but I have to say it is really fun & tasteful.

I think your DD's room is going to be filled with love because you are putting so much thought into this. Love the process!

o

Since you're having white furniture
be sure to place the sample next to something white
to see how it plays there....

o

All the samples look good with the white trim that's already in the room. Since I can pick the white for the furniture I should be fine there.

Summer shower is the winner for me out of these. I think I will grab the next paler on that chip--patriotic white and give it a try as well. Any other last minute blue suggestions along those lines?

Thanks!

o

I would pick up that bright pink in the quilt and go with that! My daughter had lovely light pink walls as a baby and until we moved when she was 6. When we finally repainted her new room when she was 8 she close hot pink (Benjamin Moore Deep Carnation) and she loves it. She's paired it with pink/purple/turquoise leopard bedding and I think it will last us quite a while. It's only paint! Lots of her friends still love pink.

o

I think I found my design seeds palette for this room. I love how the pink looks so cheerful with the pale blue background!

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seeds ranunculus

o

I think the design seeds blue has a little aqua in it, but then my monitor saw coral in your pink quilt. lol!

I see gray blue in the sheets and a few stars, so if Summer Shower is too baby blue, try BM Silver Mist. It looks gray but goes on blue. It has no green in it.

o

Color is hard online! But yes I think the design seed palette is just a tiny bit towards aqua. And I think the summer shower is too! Dh approves unequivocally of summer shower. So, pending the sheets creating a problem with that, I think I have a wall color! Yay!

Thank you all for the help with this choice. Now, what about the ceiling? I have generally been very pleased with a paler version of the wall color. And this seems like a perfect color to do that with. Any thoughts?

Still mulling the pouf. And I need to find a bin of some sort for stuff animal storage.

o

Maybe the strapping bin from land of nod in pink? To store stuffed animals. Good price and seems like it would look cute and serve the purpose.

Here is a link that might be useful: LoN strapping bin

o

Also thinking maybe a very, very, very pale pink for the ceiling? I did cameo white in a powder room once and it was perfect there. Just a soft glow to it. It seems like it might be a great ceiling color. The walls and ceiling are separated by picture rail painted white dove. All the trim in the house is painted white dove and I am not changing that.

Any thoughts on the ceiling color?

o

Seems like that diversion lost your support here,

I like the wall color you have chosen (would have been my choice of those too). I was wondering what I would do for a ceiling color and think your idea is fun and sounds like a good choice. I've seen pink and peach in photos here, but I live in a house full of guys and probably wouldn't think of it myself.

Just went and looked at the bin. Decide how and where you would use it (laundry, toys, etc.). Depending on those answers, you might consider getting more than one. If you get only one, you have to decide pale pink or brighter pink. Have fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here