Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

These drapes in this room?

Boopadaboo
15 years ago

Ok Ok, I know I have not posted update pics for those that helped me with my bedroom. I have made no progress with that room. :( I hope to this weekend.

I would also like to make progress with my dining room. We have been bringing up pictures from the basement still in boxes from moving and I have a few I would like to hang ready to go in the DR but I am hesitant to hang them. Until I know where and how the drapes will hang it doesnt seem to make sense to hang any paintings.

I originally thought I would go with just some kind of roman blind or sheer or the like in the DR and LR. After hanging drapes in the FR and Kitchen it reminded me how much I love long drapes and how it makes a room feel cozy to me. I dont think I will be happy with shades.

Attached is a picture of the rug:

The wallpaper will eventually go, but Not in the time or money budget at the moment to get rid of.

These drapes have been on ebay for a long time and are $100 off right now.

I wish there was a bigger picture. So, too much money? Too much pattern? I like the velvet and feel like it will be a rich look for the room. I am used to getting better deals on ebay but also for used, not new curtains.

(and yes I know the Chandelier is too high. It was a PITA to hang and rewire and DH was a sport about how I had to have the chandelier my mom and dad bought when they first got married, I am not up for the battle to lower it yet. :) )

Here is a link that might be useful: curtains

Comments (27)

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Boo, the chandy is gooooorgeous! I can certainly understand why you *had* to use it. If you use a higher-than-usual centerpiece on the table(candlesticks/flower arrangement, etc.)it will make the fixture not look so high.

The velvet drapes ARE beautiful, but would they be too much pattern? I'm a lover of pattern, but how big is the window? Could they possibly be used in the LR also, to bring the two room together? Looks like you would sure have enough panels. I don't know if they're a good deal, but since they are lined, a huge size, and a nice velvet, that would make them more expensive. Probably to have then made today the cost would be triple what you are paying. By the way, what is the dominant color? ;o)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I could give a rip aboutthe drapes....or at least that's how I felt after seeing that dining set...e gads woman it's to absolutely DIE for!!

Ok so back to the question at hand...I think with the wallpaper, the drapes are a bit much. If the walls were a solid color I'd say JUMP because the velvet is just the rich feel you need with that gorgeous set, but given the paper, I'd go with a solid, but definately velvet to the floor.

The drapes are actually gorgeous, really and I'd love them with the set and the carpet...but the wallpaper makes it just one step too much imo.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

If money is tight right now, why not just get some ready made panels until you're certain what you want to do with the walls.

• User
    15 years ago

I like the curtains and think they would be beautiful in your dining room. The wallpaper is a very neutral tone on tone that provides interest and no pattern, really.

If it were me, I would buy them and then start looking for artwork. Leave the wallpaper as it is more interesting than a painted wall.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I think we have the same rug. Is yours the Karastan Tabriz?

I've paired mine with embroidered gold drapes.
    {{!gwi}}

In my DR, I find the rug to be quite dark so not only think the pattern is too busy, but the colors too dark for your lovely room. Already the furniture is quite dark. I think you need to lighten it up a bit. BTW, that red in the rug is really tough to match.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I think I'd want something that competes less with the rug. Lots of pattern would be fine, but maybe fewer colors.

That said, your instincts about the blue and orange draperies were right on he mark, so I could easily defer to your judgment!

That e-bay seller has some serious stuff going on! Yummy...

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I love them. And Raymond Waites smaller stuff shows up at TJ Maxx all the time, too. I think they'd be cozy, and since it's not a huge banqueting hall, you might as well go for cozy. I love pattern on pattern and would probably want Tobacco Leaf china to go in there.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think that DR set and rug NEED those drapes! no question. If you dont like the paper with them, you can always remove the paper and repaint at a later date. BUT you can't buy those gorgeous drapes.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

oops. hit submit too soon. Friday and all that :) Later. you can't buy the drapes later.

• les917
    15 years ago

I think the drapes look too much like the rug, which means neither one will seem as special. I would think that rich moss green silk drapery would be wonderful in there. Or, take a look at these:

a. gordon

I do think that the chandelier will create much more of an impression once it is lowered. Maybe if you save enough on the drapery, you could surprise your DH and hire an electrician to come and do the wiring work. It would be money well-spent.

I agree that you shouldn't hang any art until you get the drapery decision made and in place.

One other question - can you do long drapery with the baseboard heating?

• les917
    15 years ago

Sorry, bad link:

a.gordon

Also hit enter too fast - wanted to add that you have wonderful furniture, and I even like the wallpaper.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Boop, what Les said about competing for attention, rug with draperies. Incidentally, what happened to your pretty drapes at your house, the ones you got from the "boo-boo" curtain place. Cannot remember the name now, but I did get drapes for a friend's great room and DR from them and then wanted to buy drapes for a relative who I am helping, and they seemed to have disappeared.

Anyway to the point, the drapes are pretty and the fabric is luscious but I agree with Les. You know the rule out prints, where you can have a multitude but all but one needs to be insignificant.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much! :) I am just so unsure of myself in this house.

Pattycakes. Thank you on the chandlier. I have a box of crystals somewhere too that go with it, I have to find them and see how they look. Since my mom passed about 12 years ago I love having pieces of her history around. :)The window is a standard size window I believe (approx 3ft with the frame). Not too big not too small. There are actually two windows in the room. so the 4 panels from the auction would work perfectly. the windows are next to each other on the same wall, so it might be a bit heavy on that side though with those curtains.

Igloo you are very sweet. I have been lugging this DR set around since I was about 25 and still living in an apartment. I bought it at an estate sale of a friend - the entire contents of his aunts apartment. She had been living in the village (in NYC) in the same rent controlled apartment since the 20's. I put it in storage till I moved to a place it could fit. I wish the chairs were more comfortable, but that is a project for another day. :)

Gracie - I have been looking and looking for drapes for months. Ready made, sale ones, from anywhere I can think of and nothing has hit me but these that I keep watching on ebay.

Val - I think the rug is a karastan and is that same one! I got it from the same estate sale as the DR set so not too sure though. They had it with the DR table and I have as well ever since. It just seems to go with it. :)

Amy, Les and Patricia - I hear you which is why I have been hesitating. Just might be too much and since they are ebay I cant\'t return them. :(

Then the other side of me kicks in and like Cooper and ideefix I think they must go together.

I hope jennyfromtheblock doesn't mind me reposting her picture but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this room, and this is what I am trying to go for but with the colors of the rug that I have to work with.

Patricia it is such a bummer that adoptadrape is gone. :( I love these drapes:

I wish I could have taken them with me. I would have had them cut down and used them in my current DR and LR.

I had also thought about these from the same seller:

But they somehow seem like the easy way out since I really think I want a pattern.

11 hours till the sale ends to decide!

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Duh, Jenny's picture didnt show up. :( it is in this thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: velvetchairthread

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

If I had been looking for a while, and suddenly something jumped to my attention, I would trust my instincts, and Go For It! Your beautiful wood floor & DR set, that rich rug and those dramatic drapes will create a fabulous room, especially for dining. I can so easily picture it with sconces and candles, China, crystal and lace all set for a romantic dinner. The wallpaper will disappear, until you are inspired again. What a wonderful room to design!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Thanks for that curtain website, what fun to see and found several fabrics I'd so Love to have! Of course, we are wondering what you decided?

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

I love those drapes. I hope you bought!! :o)

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't buy them. No one did and they are relisted again. I think it is the lack of pictures that just has me unsure. Since you are unable to "return" them and I am having trouble seeing the whole thing in my head I decided to pass. There are two windows in the room and they are both on one wall I am concerned that they will be too heavy looking on that wall.

I am still looking, while I know the price was reasonable for the drapes, it was a bit more than I wanted to spend too. I have to go crib/baby shopping one of these days and have to keep that in mind too. :)

Thank you all for your help and opinions. Much appreciated!

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my3dogs was kind enough to post about the fabric sale.

I am debating on this one

{{!gwi}}

Any opinions?

I have always been a fan of this plaid. (I think it is called blackwatch plaid) No red, but there is green and blue in the rug.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Oh my, I am concerned, because the plaid is going in a whole different direction from the original print drape. It is more of a dark brooding Scottish novel masculine hunters dining room feeling. Maybe the color isn't right on my computer. Or maybe because I grew up with Robertson & Blackwatch.....
    Will you discribe in as much detail as you can muster, how you would love to see your table set for a very special occasion? Maybe that will help a clearer vision of what you hope the final look to be.

• User
    15 years ago

I do like your idea of drapes in that room - it will make it cozy. I do like plaid, but I think it brings to mind a library or LR (keep in mind that I'm a bit decorating challenged). If you haven't already seen it, check out ralphlaurenhome.com, under the Bedford Manor collection, and see how they have worked some plaid in.
    BTW, I'm flattered you like my curtains :-)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Sorry, I don't like the plaid and much preferred the first WTs that you showed us.

I know that Ebay seller will send a scan of the fabric if you ask. Then you can get a better idea of the color and scale of the pattern.

Just love your room, Jenny!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I just read on another thread that you're pregnant and I am so happy for you! (You and I "chatted" last year about having plant-eating cats ....) I'll be thinking of you this April / May (not sure when you're due). I bet you already know this, but some kitties l-o-v-e to cuddle when you're nursing, which I both loved and hated. (My sons were both born in June, so I only hated it because I was already warm with the weather, with my brobdingnagian breasts, with a baby wrapped around my middle, but I LOVED it because of the cats loving and accepting our new additions, and both of my sons are dedicated animal-lovers.)

Anyway, you're going to have a magnificent spring and summer, and I am just so happy for you!

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bodica that is a really good question. We dont really set the table in a formal manner and use the dining room more for puzzles and games as opposed to sit down dinners.

Parma and Jenny - thank you so much for responding too. I actually have been thinking about the library vibe and I actually love that. I always drool over the RL site too. Gorgeous. I am actually trying to figure out how to hang tons of pictures on the wall in the DR that might just give it a library type feel. (Topic for another post)

DH didnt like the first fabric I had above and liked this one better:

{{!gwi}} I am getting ready to order it now.

rmkitchen you are so sweet! Of course I remember chatting and that you ordered lots of lovely silks (and that fabulously gorgeous kitchen of yours!). I still haven't ordered any. I feel like I need the drapes and a few other things finished first.

I am super excited and hope the cats all get along as well as yours did with the new addition! I am due May 7th and am counting down the weeks till the arrival of Connor.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the conclusion, for now, of my drape saga. thanks to all that helped along the way! I did try to order the fabric above and they did not have enough by the time I ordered. I then found a plaid I liked even better on Ebay. I bought that but couldnt' decide if I loved it in the dining room. I have a feeling it will end up in Connor's room if I ever get to that room. It has a nice yellow stripe in it and his room is painted yellow.

The fabric barn place had another even better sale and I found this fabric:

So, for $60 or so including shipping I at least have something hung up in there for now. I like it, DH likes it and someday maybe I will get it hemmed in to proper panels. :) For now, I folded it over and hung it on the rings/clips I had. I feel like the DR is almost complete.

It looks less green IRL. It is actually upholstery fabric so they are pretty thick.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Your new fabric works very well in your dining room.

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

They look very pretty. Your room has such a nice vintage feel to it.

Is the baseboard heat water or inoperable?