Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Painting handrails white and spindles black???

Karen Marcely
13 years ago

I have a split level; when you walk in my foyer there are spindles to the left and you can see my spindles in my livingroom that lead to my upstairs. Currently they are all painted white. I have been thinking about the awful job of removing paint from the handrails and newel post to stain a dark walnut. The salesperson from Purcells' suggested that I try to paint the rails and newels black and see if I like it before going through all that work.

I really think I might like that idea because I have alot of black - picture frames, table and bench in my foyer, etc. that are black.

Has anyone done that? Any pictures, opinions, please.

Comments (13)

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant the other way around. Black rails and newel posts with white spindles.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• nhb22
    13 years ago

I love that look!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Kmarcel: I think that will look great.

Melifera: Did you paint those stairs? And, if so, what paint did you use and how is it holding up? I have some stairs to our bonus room showing dog nails and I need to redo them. I'd appreciate any info you can provide. And Kmarcel probably will too. :)
    Dee

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I would not recommend Black stairs. Been there Done that. The dust that shows up is unbelievable. Especially if you have pets!

Great to look at, not so great to maintain.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I remember yours, Boop. I did love them though.
    Dee

• mellfiera
    13 years ago

I wish I could take credit for it but my MIL did it like a decade ago. It's held up great, but it does show up every bit of dirt. I have three boys and the large one that I married likes to come straight in and tromp up them in muddy boots. I mop it with Orange Glo and a microfiber mop about once a week and it looks good as new again.

I asked my husband if he remembered what MIL used and he doesn't remember. I'll have to remember to ask her next time I call her.

• jiggreen
    13 years ago

Melliflera, doesn't the Orange Glo make those steps slippery? It's so funny that your steps are black, we have much the same taste when it comes to colors!!! We are getting ready to paint our staircase black! (just as soon as I finish the foyer walls) I've thought about the dog hair/dust issue...but we are going to be doing a runner down the center of the steps, and I'm hoping that the runner actually catches a lot of the hair and dust. (the runner is tan with black so hopefully it will disguise actual dirt).

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Mine is that combination. We have had it for five years and still love it!

• mellfiera
    13 years ago

Jiggreen, I use their everyday floor cleaner and a dry microfiber dust mop. It dries pretty fast.

MIL actually called tonite and she says it was a stain, not paint. Unfortunately she doesn't remember the brand she used.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Thank you, Melifera. That was extremely sweet of you to check, and report back.
    Dee

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the photos. dawnp your foyer is beautiful. Love the black and white combo.

mellifera, I wouldn't be able to do stain because they are already painted white. I hope I can just paint black over the white. May have to do polyurethane after. Will stop and see my helper at the paint store. Now I have a weekend project!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz