Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matdrew

help hubby hates vanity i picked

matdrew
9 years ago

I bought this vanity with a white carrea marble top instead of the one shown here. hubby wanted a modern bath and is very upset that he feels the marble is not modern and also hoped for a floating vanity. can anyone suggest some modern tile that might match. everything in the room will be new bathtub will be white. si need suggestion on floor tile shower tile and bottom of shower part and maybe paint. he is colorblind I stink at this stuff I can not see undertones etc.

he is suggesting I sell this because shipping it back is too much. I hope to keep it. he wanted the bathroom to have a modern spa feel. I hope you guys can come to the rescue I now you guys are awesome

https://www.houzz.com/products/72-venica-teak-double-vanity-for-semi-recessed-sinks-prvw-vr~13041459-Venica-Teak-Double-Vanity-for-Semi-Recessed-Sinks-contemporary-bathroom-vanities-and-sink-consoles

Comments (21)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

In my opinion that is a stunning modern vanity. Marble is an ageless stone and can be used in virtually all types of decor. The vanity is definitely contemporary. Floating vanities make me feel like there's something missing, not a fan.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Posting the link below to make it a little easier for people to get to.

How about large format (12 x 24?) grey tiles set in a grid for the floor? Pebble tile for the shower floor? And some sort of pale aqua tile for the shower walls? That seems contemporary and spa like.

Have you looked on Houzz for inspiration pictures? What does he envision?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz picture of vanity[(https://www.houzz.com/products/72-venica-teak-double-vanity-for-semi-recessed-sinks-prvw-vr~13041459)

• crl_
    9 years ago

Maybe a shower wall tile in something like Heath Ceramics' new pieces green or robin egg win the wide hex twist or half hex wave?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Ceramics Dwell patterns

• crl_
    9 years ago

Or something like the wave at fireclay. (I'd be careful to avoid the crackle finishes for a shower wall.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay wave tile

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so you guys think Grey would look good even thought the vanity is honey colored . I love the idea of the gray tile and the pebble in the shower and the pale blue , sounds spa like to me.

someone on another site suggested I find a nice tile with grays and creams and a slight brown/greige in. proabably great advice but sounds very complicated to me . as I feel like I am no good with seeing tone , hubby is color blind and I have problems envisioning stuff. I need to see something I can copy I think. oh man. I appreciate all the help so far guys

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Here's one that resembles your vanity, you could use some of the ideas in this article and photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom

• crl_
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a bathroom with a teak vanity and grey tile to help visualize how they would look together.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz grey bathroom with teak vanity[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mid-north-residence-industrial-bathroom-chicago-phvw-vp~1367677)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I love that vanity, and think it looks plenty modern! I wish I had a suggestion for you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Look at some of the beautiful carrara marble tiles that have a good amount of gray in them, since the vanity top is carrara I would let that be my guide. There's some fabulous tile available. I love the basket weaves and carrara subways they are timeless. And you could do some soft aqua glass tiles in the mix.
    This tile has carrara marble and beautiful blue glass together very spa looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiles

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

It sounds like he doesn't like the top you chose. Maybe we need to see a picture of the actual vanity? It sure says modern SPA to me.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you everyone for all your advice. I think he really had his heart set on a floating vanity. he also not crazy about the golden color f the teak ( although we have in thru out our home) he hates the marble and the semi in and out sinks. he wants a rectangular sink. to keep things happy between us I listed the vanity this morning on craigslist .

I am a little upset because we have a small budget and this hurts it. however like he said why bother doing it if he not going to love it. I don't care either way . I thought he would love this vanity. As to me and most of you it reads modern. At least I know I am not wrong but will go ahead and let he have one he chooses.

Which by the way will be Ikea with a custom quartz top. man remodeling is mental work and tough on a marriage ;)

• crl_
    9 years ago

Good luck with the sale and the project!

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

OMG!!! I almost ordered that vanity but the slightly darker color!!! I need a 72" vanity for my MB. Where do you live? I'll come get it and pay ya lol!!!! I'm from St. Louis.

Man, after reading your post about your husband, I feel bad for nagging my husband the other day. Mine is probably the opposite of yours - he doesn't care what I pick. In fact, I've been begging him to go to the stone yard with me to pick out the quartz top but my husband just kept telling me he doesn't care and to pick whatever I want! I guess I feel lucky after ready it's causing tension under other roofs. I hope everything works out.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have it for sale but pick up only as vanity marble top and sink would be too expensive to ship . Freight on the website where I bought says $499.00 it was free shipping to me but that's the return freight I guess . I live in nj so my buyer would have to be in the ny nj pa area for it to make sense. I think if I had gotten the gray version of it he may have liked it better

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Bummer... I think it's a beautiful vanity and I LOVE the marble. Maybe your husband will come around. Here is picture proving marble can be "modern" with or without the floating vanity.. but I honestly like your vanity much better, and it's modern in my opinion... I would give it some time. Maybe when the whole remodel is done, he'll like it. It's a beautiful piece...

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow that's a great pic . I def show him that
    One !

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I think it's beautiful too; I'm sorry he doesn't like it.

I'm curious about the placement of the handles. They make it look like all the top drawers and side drawers are functional and just the middle/lower 4 aren't. So I'm wondering how the plumbing works behind the drawers and how you'd access it if it's in the middle. I know you're not keeping this vanity, but as you look for others it might be good to keep the configuration in mind if you already have your plumbing in place. If your plumbing is to be redone (or newly done), your plumber will need to know what to work around for the vanity.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the middle is a cabinet. and the two top drawers are false. I did not check into the plumbling. I am a girl plus I obviously jump the gun a lot. that's why I am stuck with this purchase.
    I showed hubby the last photo that was posted here. to me the marble looks super super modern. I guess he still did not thin so or just doesn't like the vanity. As his answer was just yea I saw it. :(

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

It doesn't sound like your husband is going to like the vanity anytime soon. I would keep it listed on CL and give it some time. It's just a vanity. And the one you bought is very nice. I think most would agree too so it's hard to imagine someone is so upset. Did you just order this vanity without asking his opinion first? Lol sounds like something I would do..

If it makes you feel better, I'm doing my bathroom soon too. I bought 7 boxes of tile from overstock over a year ago and my husband thinks its ugly. I wanted to return it too because I got discouraged but each box weights 34 pounds so shipping is too expensive too. I've decided to go with anyway. I like it and I know it will look good.. I think when the remodel is done my hubby will come around too and think better if my tile choice.

• matdrew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I order edit without telling him . I normally like a traditional style so to me this vanity is more them modern . Also our whole house is teak from crate and barrel . So I thought he would love it . He a nice guy and if I really loved it he would let me have it . However I was honest I don't care what he picks I am just upset about losing money on it as our budget is tight . I really thought I had saved the day by finding it .