Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fitzwilli_gw

kitchen cabinet paint

fitzwilli
16 years ago

We are wanting to re-paint our white kitchen cabinets but want a product that will last more than a few years. Is there a product that dries to a hard finish. Also should we strip the cabinets first and repaint, they have been painted at least 2-3 coast of white paint now?

Comments (3)

• kkwkatie
    16 years ago

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but wanted to suggest that you post this in the Paint forum if you haven't already. You would probably get an answer there.

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

fitzwilli... I have painted my cabinets.

I had custom cabinets painted professionally. It was such a horrible job, I hired a second painter to sand, repaint, and glaze. Within a month of the 2nd painter being done, The paint "blushed green". We had to strip off what they did because the first guy never primed the doors as contracted and compromised any finish subsequently applied. Furthermore, I tried a few types of paint out on the doors before committing to a paint and the paint started lifting off of the doors, so it confirmed to us that it was in our best interest to completely remove all paint and start over.

STripped the paint, primed with a water base primer, and used RichardÂs Signature Series Interior Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel. The promo for the paint says, "... has been formulated from superior pigments and alkyd resins to provde the ultimate in an alkyd semi-gloss paint. Its smooth flowing characteristics allow for easy application. It is non-yellowing and dries to a smooth finish without brush marks. It is extremely scrubbable and resists staining. MILDEW RESISTANT."

That being said, alkyd is is a type of oil paint that is wonderful for cabinets and high traffic use areas like trim, stairs, etc. Once you get use to using it, you will love it. Even though I used the semi gloss, it is not shiny or too shiny for cabinets. Once painted and you properly wet-sand using differnet grades of wet-sand paper, you will have a professional, beautiful product.

Using Richard's Alkyd Enamel is nothing like using latex paints in any way, shape, or form. I added penetrol to it to help keep the product the right texture. (I believe Penetrol is for oil based paints and Flotrol is for waterbased paints. I used the product for oil based paints.) I also used a small, white, smooth foam roller to roll the door fronts and sides and a 1" Purdy brush for the interior profile. Before using the roller the first time, load paint into the roller pressing in the paint gently and let it sit for about five minutes, re-roll the roller in the paint to re-load more paint into it again, this time letting it drain it for five minutes, then re-reload it with paint to get out all of the air bubbles. Taking the extra few minutes to do this will help your paint not have air bubbles in the finish. Believe me, you will have problems with the finihs if you don't get the air out of the foam before you begin painting.

Also, alkyd paint is a specialty paint and hard to find. HD or L's box stores don't carry this type of paint. Do not substitute regular oil paint for alkyd. The different polymers in alkyd make it a better choice for cabinets.

Hope this info is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard's Paint

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

Please see this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is alkyd paint