Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisbonplace

kitchen lighting

RoseAbbey
9 years ago

We bought this house (pictured is owners decorating/furniture not mine) we get possession in April We want to revamp the kitchen some. Will be changing the counter tops. wall color and definately want to change out the ceiling fan to something else. I dont think want to add pendants over the island as I think I it would be too much hanging fixtures. Can you give me some ideas as to what type of fixture would look good there. For some reason I am at a loss!
I was going to post a second view of the whole kitchen but couldnt figure out how to get the second photo into the message.

Comments (12)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I give up. I can't even read the OP's paragraph because of constant links opening!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Just reply to your post and upload your pic.

I think the island looks naked and uninviting without pendants. I might put more can lights in front of your upper cabinets.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

The lighting over the island is inadequate. Perhaps the dimmer was low? If that is as bright as it gets you might try other bulbs.

There are a lot of fans to look through.

That is a nice kitchen.

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a second view of the kitchen. If I put hanging pendants above island will it might be too many hanging fixtures? I would replace the fan with something hanging or semi flush and also replace that hanging light in the stair case with something smaller and add 3 pendants above island. Thoughts?

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your new home... It looks beautiful !

I do like pendant lights over an island. If possible, I would also consider removing the fan/ light, add more pot lights for added light in the kitchen work space and then add pendants over the island.
    It's a nice effect too when you can have pendants on a different switch from the pot lights so you can just have these on for ambiance when sitting in your family room.

I think you'd still be fine with the hanging fixture in the staircase, but just might want to have a similar style as to what would be over the island for a cohesive look.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Your new kitchen is beautiful and congratulations on your new home!

I agree with putting pendants over the island and removing the fan and replacing with a chandelier-type light. It looks like you have puck lights under the counters and I'd strongly suggest you replace those with the LED strips. They provide so much more light (we replaced ours recently), so keep that in mind when choosing fixtures too as some are available with LEDs.

Since you plan to replace the staircase fixture, I think a coordinating fixture will be fine. It doesn't have to 'match' the kitchen fixtures. And I don't think it's too many hanging fixtures either. They probably won't all be 'on' at the same time.

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I am leaning towards the pendants above the island.

I am also going to change out the countertops to granite. Any ideas as to what color?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would use a light colored or creamy granite with movement. Your kitchen needs pattern. You want to tone down the warm woods, so try to find slabs with very little gold. There's a lot of gold out there, but it will make your kitchen read Tuscan. Something like Colonial Cream or Bianco Antico. But it really depends on what you can find in the stone yards. Is there a backsplash?

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes there is a stone backsplash in different tones of light browns.

Actually its funny,my first instinct was to get something that had some gold in it, since the floors and cabinetry are in mahoney tones, I thought that would like nice??

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

May-flowers, funny I was also going to suggest Blanco Antico, but it might be too gray unless you can find a really light slab. I do agree with trying to find a slab with creamy colors primarily. With the golden colors coming out in the hardwood, I don't know if I'd get too much gold going on.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you are removing the fan. I think semi flush or flush is a good idea.

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to start a new thread around the granite color on the kitchen side, now that I have decided to put pendants. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia