Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a good source for landscape and deck ideas?

Posted by Lake_Girl (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 13:50

We have a couple of projects for the new year. Our house is a reproduction farmhouse style, so I'd like to keep that look in mind. I need websites or sources, or suggestons of places to look to get ideas. I work so much better with an inspiration picture(s).

1)The first is to redo a pathway between the deck and garage, and expand the parking area around the garage. So I'm not sure if we should lay more cement or look at other options.

2)Next, we want to try to lower our deck on the back of the house, and in the process remove the railings. I really like the look of a deck without a lot of railing, but it is currently too high to not have a railing. We want to try to reuse the existing deck and lower it.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a good source for landscape and deck ideas?

Pinterest

o

Another vote for Pinterest -- you don't have to join -- just click onto this link -- go on over -- and type in the search feature at the top of the page .... LOTS of ideas there! Especially for DIY -- just click on a specific photo -- and you'll go to the original site -- like a blog posting ....

Plus you may want to check out magazine websites -- like Better Homes & Gardens and Sunset ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- garden pathways

o

The Sunset series of soft copy books are a good resource. You can find them at the big box stores or also at most bookstores. Don't know where you live, but you can sometimes go to some home shows in late winter and garden tours in spring to get good ideas. And of course there is always Houzz.....

o

Here's a pin board selection for "low deck" .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- low decks

o

We didn't have the option of lowering the deck so we went with glass railing instead so as not to block the view.

o

I've found many inspiring landscape pictures on Houzz. You can refine the search further according to style and location. You can also find local professional landscape designers and tradespeople there if you decide to hire help with your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz photos outdoor

o

I had looked at Houzz, but I'm not sure I'm putting the correct words in the search box. But I'll keep trying different search words and see what comes up. The same with Pinterest. I had not put in "low decks", I was searching "decks without rails". Thanks for the link teacats, and for all the suggestions so far. The deck will most likely by DIY. I wonder if there's anyone out there who has tackled something similar to either of these project.

o

Of course, you could check out the porches and decks forum here on GW as well as some of the gardening and landscaping forums. You can search for specific topics such as lowering a deck or start a thread with your questions. There are lots of very helpful 'outdoor' people around here who could advise you

o

I did my backyard a couple of years ago, and couldn't have done it w/o houzz. Pinterest is great, but I found more of what I wanted on houzz.

Try to be as precise as possible with your wording. I'm posting a link for 'landscape pathways' and if you want brick, flagstone, or cement, be specific with the medium you want to use. Same for decking.

Here is a link that might be useful: pathways

o

I did my backyard a couple of years ago, and couldn't have done it w/o houzz. Pinterest is great, but I found more of what I wanted on houzz.

Try to be as precise as possible with your wording. I'm posting a link for 'landscape pathways' and if you want brick, flagstone, or cement, be specific with the medium you want to use. Same for decking.

Here is a link that might be useful: pathways

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here