Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melsouth_gw

? Curtains with chenille bedspread?

melsouth
10 years ago

I think I want to put a chenille bedspread on our master bed, an old-fashioned cotton spread like my grandmother used to have. I don't have one yet, but I've seen some online that I like.

In pics online, most often I see sheers or lacy curtains with chenille bedspreads. I have lace curtains in the room now, but I need to replace them with something blackout. Too much light too early in the mornings.

So I need to replace the curtains, and I want a chenille bedspread, but I can't quite figure out what fabric or thickness or style of curtain to choose.
What type of curtains do you think would look nice with a chenille bedspread?

Comments (4)

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Mother had criss cross sheers at the windows with a pull down shade when I had a chenille bedspread. Could you have your lace or sheer curtains with a room darkening shade to pull down?

• camlan
    10 years ago

I'd get something that compliments the color or pattern of the chenille bedspread. I don't think you are limited to sheers or lace just because you have a certain type of spread on the bed.

If you have one of the simpler chenille spreads, then a patterned panel curtain might work well. If you have a spread with a more elaborate pattern, a solid color that goes with the spread would be nice.

I think many people feel that chenille spreads give a room an "old-timey" feel, and they choose window treatments that enhance that--hence the lace. But if you don't want to go that route, that's fine. You can pick a more modern window treatment, as long as it goes with what's going on in the rest of the room.

It's not just the bedspread that needs to be considered, but also the furniture, carpeting/area rug--everything that gives the room its style.

• melsouth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

grandmaof3, I did think of using a natural woven shade with a blackout lining and keeping the lace curtains.
    But it will take 7-8 weeks for the custom blind sizes that I need and will be pretty costly. (I would need three.).
    May end up doing that anyway.

camlan, the room is a mixture of antiques and new stuff.
    Hardwood floors, white trim.
    A few rugs under furniture, all neutral, brownish tones.
    I thought it might be less costly to put new (ready-made) curtains instead of custom blinds.
    So I've looked at cotton, velvet, jacquard, linen, silk, etc.
    Still not sure what would look "right" (to me) with chenille.

So I'm undecided but maybe leaning toward custom blinds.
    Thanks again. :)

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

I have a cream chenille bedspread and cream jacquard cotton tab top curtains on bronze metal rods with leaf finials, cafe au lait walls, rusty oriental rug, maple furniture from the 1930s. Works for me, old-fashioned but with simple clean lines, warm and tranquil.

Curtains were from BB&B, rods might even have been from Walmart - bronze spray paint upscaled them nicely. Pulldown blackout shades behind the curtains - that way we can have a darkened room, filtered light, or a view.

Rods hung well above the windows and wider than them - visually enlarges the windows, generous, airy effect - you don't get the bunching that you do if rod is only as wide as the window.