Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheetaliyer

Ideas for kitchen backsplash (Pic attached)

sheetaliyer
9 years ago

I am planning to get a tile backsplash installed in my kitchen but struggling to visualize the colors/pattern that will complement the cabinet and wall color.

Below is a pic of my kitchen....Please advise.

Thanks

Comments (22)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

White subway tile would be my choice. If you like the tiny glass oblong blocks...get white. I am not fond of them, however. You have a beautiful kitchen.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm a color person so I'd go with something fun that brings color into the kitchen. Possibly 4x4 tiles in different colors. Or mosaics.

If your'e not a color person and prefer a neutral, I think you need something with texture that will contrast with your shiny, smooth counters.

• sheetaliyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies!! This is our first home and have no prior experience in this space so appreciate your ideas....

I am totally a color person and love the idea of 4X4 tiles in different colors...will surf online to see some samples....

• Bunny
    9 years ago

sofia, if you haven't already, I suggest you cross-post this in the Kitchens forum. Although many of the same people hang out here, you'll find lots of backsplash chat over there.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Yes to posting in the Kitchen forum.

I suggest googling something like "colorful kitchen backsplashes". I did that and yielded tons of interesting ideas in Google Images.

You might do a similar search at Houzz.

If you're interested in mosaics, some companies allow you to create your own mosaics with different colors/styles of tiles. Modwalls is just one of many that have that option.

For my own kitchen, I am considering going with store-bought 4x4's in a few different colors punctuating with a few custom mosaics in 4x4 size.

If you go with mostly standard tiles and do the tile work yourself, it will be easy and inexpensive to change out in a few years if you want something different. Backsplashes are easy to tile yourself.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I agree. Simple white subways will look great here. If you want, you could put some black glass trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: subways with trim

• dedtired
    9 years ago

How about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Hi - here's one I like...

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I don't think a pure white will look best with your warm toned wood cabinets. How about a tumbled tile with metallic or glass accents that will pick up on your dark counters.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think your kitchen looks transitional? What's the overall style of your house? Do you want to go more modern with it or more traditional?

I love fireclay and heath ceramics tile, so I suggest looking at their websites. Lots of colors and shapes. Fireclay will send you some samples for free too.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Of the tile samples I have, I think this would work with your counters and cabinetry. These are accent tiles that would be used sparingly with a larger subway or 4x4 tile. They definitely have similar accents that would be even more black.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I love the lightly opalescent tiles, they come in so many beautiful colors and shapes, mixed with other textures. I think it would look pretty with your colors.
    I would not like plain white subways here, it needs a twist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opalescent tile an example

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Do you intend to ever want another color in the room? If yes then you should tell us.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Have a look at Fireclay and Mercury Mosaics for color ideas. See also Artistic Tile Opera Glass.

1. mercurymosaics.com/

2.A Mercury photo {{gwi:2138355}}

3. Opera Glass

{{gwi:2138356}}

[Modern Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by New York Tile, Stone & Countertops Artistic Tile

A Fireclay photo {{gwi:2138357}}

Another Mercury photo, which shows a wall color something like the one peeking through your doorway {{gwi:2138358}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a Fireclay link

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 11:47

• thankurnmo
    9 years ago

I have similar- light wood cabinets, dark countertop and light (mottled white) floors. I agonized long and hard, and decided on this backsplash. I;ts so hard to visualize so everyone posting pix is really helpful.
    It's porcelain /travertine look, with blue gray glass accent tiles. I have a distance pic- will try to find a close up. anyway it's been a few years, and I still love it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Thinking a glossy tile might be easier to clean in a kitchen setting, where things that stain & stick can be splashed.....

• sheetaliyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions!! Thank you everyone!.

dilly_ny, sheilaaus122 - Thanks for the pics, I like both and think something similar would look great in my kitchen...
    I liked a backsplash online that looked quite similar to the porcelain /travertine that sheilaaus122 posted...will see if I am able to post that image here...

emmarene - Yes I want to add an additional color tone to my room...but still debating on whether to go with big bold colors for the backsplash or add something like colorful counter stools next to the island for that pop of color....I liked a green and white counter stool that I might just buy...

• sheetaliyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Below is a backsplash that I really liked...What do you think ?

Thanks

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

It looks promising. You need to get a sample.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I cannot tell from the photo, but are some of the components black, like your counter top? I think some black would be a good idea. I agree that you need to see a sample in your kitchen, under your light. I'd be interested to see how the beige parts look with your cabinets.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I love that last backsplash you've posted Sofia! When we had our kitchen gutted and completely remodeled, I had the same dilemma. I wanted color in my kitchen, but because my previous backsplash had clashed with the seasonal decs I used throughout the year, I went with cream colored tumbled marble tiles (Crema Marfil) with embossed metal tiles here and there. Still very happy with them 8 years later. But, that said, I truly LOVE that one you've posted. It will look great with walls and cabs, add visual interest and still work with other colored accent pieces you might introduce, such as pots, artwork, etc.

• sheetaliyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Feeling encouraged by the positive response for the backsplash....Will try to get a sample to check..

kitchendetective - You are correct, some of the components are black.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler