Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Your opinions on dining room built in needed

So I posted a few weeks ago about wanting to have a built in put in my dining room. This will be a combination wine/liquor bar and china buffet. It will have to serve 2 purposes. There is a chance I will also add 2 smaller waist high china cabinets on the opposite wall as I have an abundance of stuff currently residing in my attic. Here is the wall in question, door on right leads to kitchen.

So here is the look I'm going for, not exactly but generally-

and this-

I have spent some time laying out a few plans and would love opinions. I am not planning on using IKEA, this was just the best way to illustrate and not have to totally hand draw the whole thing.

Choice 1) This one gives me a bunch of counter space for serving but not as much room for storage. Most wine storage.

Choice 2) A bit more behind doors storage, basically the same wine storage and countertop amount. I would actually change the upper dimensions a bit to 18" 54" 18", but had to go with what IKEA had on their site.

Choice 3) Less wine storage and divided counter space but may look a bit nicer?

I'm trying to decide if I divide the counter area then I can use left side as a bar and use right side as buffet serving area and not have to clear one to use the other. You know how when you have a crowd in the bar area gets covered up with bottles, mixers, ice bucket, etc. Or will people just spill over into both areas and it won't matter.
I have a pretty extensive collection of wine glasses and retro bar ware. Pinot glasses, Chardonnay glasses, Port glasses, Burgundy glasses, martini sets, decanters, etc.

Anyway, looking forward to more opinions now that I've had time to work on this.

Annette

This post was edited by bocron on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 14:42

Comments (10)

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry a bit more info. I plan on adding pieces down the side (if I do the 3rd option) to make it look more like a hutch and less like kitchen cabinetry. Like this-

• jlj48
    10 years ago

I'm no help. I just wanted to say that I think your space is perfect for this and whatever you choose, it will look really beautiful and custom.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I'll list some random thoughts that came to mind when I thought about your built-in area.

I tend to like more closed than open storage because I don't like to dust and dusty glasses are not that attractive. You can have doors with a glass insert if you like to display your pieces, but I would forgo open shelving other than the wine rack portion.

Would you keep a blender there or a coffee maker/warmer? If so, you would want to include at least one electrical outlet. Would you have a built-in ice maker and/or a bar sink that would require a drain?

Is this where you would store your table linens? If so, you would want to make sure the drawers are the right dimensions to hold standard place mats.

Would you store your silver flatware here? If so, you might want to create divided drawers lined in Pacific cloth with a Pacific cloth overlay to retard tarnishing.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like option 2, more closed storage but still keeping it light with glass uppers.
    Also probably because I don't quite understand option 3: What is going to divide the two counters?
    If it's still one long counter but "divided" by the uppers, I think most people will be as ignorant as I am and and not see the separation, i.e. not keep the areas separate, i.e. one for food, one for drinks.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would prefer to have the fridge on one side so you can access it while your working at the bar and not have it in your way when you have to open it and grab something.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What I meant about dividing the counter is the upper units that rest on top of the counter. The lower cabinets will be 24" deep and the upper units will be 12" or 15" deep. On option 3 the center tower will come down and rest on the counter top like in the example with the orange cabinets. So I won't have as much uninterrupted counter to use.

I won't have a sink or ice maker as the kitchen is on the opposite side of that wall.

Annette

• Jules
    10 years ago

I vote #2.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fun2BHere,
    I will have an outlet installed at the back of each of the 2 tower units. If I make those 15" deep then I can make the drawers about 12 inches deep and have space for an outlet that is out of view. My plan is to have my margarita machine and a coffee maker in one of the cabinets for use.
    I do plan to have my flatware in there hopefully and couldn't remember the name of that cloth, so thanks for that!

AnnieDeighnaugh,
    I agree about the fridge unit but will have to think about it. The problem with moving the fridge to one side or the other is then the fridge is directly below one of the tower units and the heat from the unit may effect the wine directly above it. (I've been learning a lot about wine and heat is bad for long term storage of fine wines). I may divide up the unit into 2 15" units and try that option. I will post an updated layout for opinions, of course!

Thanks all for the opinions, per your input I am going to use the option with the more closed storage and do glass doors. My house gets pretty dusty as I have 8 dogs in and out so less dusting is good :D.
    Annette

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, so here's an updated plan based on suggestions here. I split up the wine coolers (whites on right, reds on left, they get stored at 2 different temps).
    Would y'all do all glass for the uppers or have some glass and some solid as I have it?
    My other plan to to put antique mirror behind the center portion. Or maybe a cool wallpaper. Thoughts?

Option 1)

Option 2) In grey for fun.

Option 3) All glass uppers.

Annette

This post was edited by bocron on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 13:55

• User
    10 years ago

I wouldn't do antique mirrors in a new piece. Could you go for beveled edge mirror tiles, or ones like those in the link below (houzz photo). I think that cloudy mirror thing is over....JMO though.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Mirror tiles[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/quiet-sophistication-bedroom-contemporary-bedroom-houston-phvw-vp~134940)