Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

Need suggestions on how to refinish these twin beds-

polly929
15 years ago

I won these beds in an ebay auction for my daughters age 3 and 5. The color of their current furniture is antique white, and I plan on painting them to match, but I'm afraid the headboards might be too plain. Any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400025613639

Comments (20)

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

That is a good buy you got for the headboards. I know this is not what you asked but I thought that I would post this photo from my inspiration file. It is a room I love and because I do not have twin beds or a room to decorate right now whenever I hear twin beds mentioned I think of this room.
    {{!gwi}}

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

They're adorable and perfect for two little girls! You could either do a gold stenciling, or get a wood applique and glue on each headboard, and possibly on the footboards.

I was at an antique mall this week and saw an original French bedroom set from the 1920's that had been confiscated by the US government from Germany during the war. It had the official 'property of US government' stamp on the back of the headboard. It was absolutely magnificent....and ten thousand dollars!! It was ivory and included a HUGE armoire(3 door)with a bed w/nightstands attached. The two pieces would take up a whole room! If only I had money! LOL(sorry for going on..and on....)

• yayagal
    15 years ago

You could certainly paint them white if that's your inclination but think about buying a couple of fake pieces of wooden adornments to add to the headboards before you paint. They sell them at HD and Lowe's. Once painted they become part of the bed and it would be more girly. You got a great buy. Very nice.

• polly929
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wooden adornments- what a great idea! I was thinking of stenciling something but I think the appliques would look so much nicer- Thank!

I was so excited to score these beds- when I was pregnant with my little one I bought a Stanley Youth furniture bed for DD#1 and spent a fortune, and the bed cracked in a move. It was past the one year warranty, and the store we bought them from went out of business so I had no recourse. The idea of buying another bed at that price made me cringe, so I had been watching out for matching beds on ebay. The first pair of beds I was outbid at the last second by $5- I was so mad! So you can imagine my excitement to get these beds, AND I can go pick them up since they are not terribly far from me in NJ.

Lyban- I remember you posting that photo before, I love that room! For my girls I will be sticking with stuff we already have, pale pinks and greens.

Thanks for your suggestions- I will post pics of the finished products when I get them- probably won't be until spring since it is FREEZING in NJ, and we will be painting them outside.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

You could paint part of the trim to match their wall color. If you like the wood appliques, here is a site that's very inexpensive:

Here is a link that might be useful: appliques

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

some pics of ideas in DIY thread

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

lyban that is simply gorgeous. thanks for sharing your inspiration picture. I look forward to decorating a guest bedroom and that is just timeless.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I love those cute little french beds. Use french toile of your liking. It comes in most any colors, I lean towards ice blue, but that's me.

Or you could go with antique quilts or just anything that fits your girls rooms or your liking, the sky's the limit. Ain't decorating fun?

• peytonroad
    15 years ago

yes how adorable they are. I can only imagine how pretty the room will be and how happy the girls will "match!" They will love having the same beds. Good deal!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Some ideas

this is a BEAUTIFUL set by someone here, sorry I can't remember who

• polly929
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caminnc- the first pic is actually the current color of their room- I was actually planning on changing it until I saw that pic- now I am confused b/c that looks really pretty.
    Picked up the beds today, wish it were warmer so I could get to work sooner.

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

lyban, I LOVE your inspiration pic!! What color would you think the walls are? They look great, and I wouldn't have thought to put that wall color (whatever it is) with the red and white. Just love it!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

They are lovely beds. You could paint/stencil/decoupage anything you like on the headboards. What do the girls love? Puppies? Bunnies? Strawberries? Frogs? Baseball? Flowers? Tigers? Ducklings? Have a little fun in there. You can also put their names on their beds, then decorate the other furniture to match.

Let's see what I have in my files...

There. Does that get your creative juices going? Hope so!

• polly929
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks- Oceanna, always love looking at the pics you post, but I'm afraid I'm not THAT talented, those beds are GORGEOUS!!!!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Those are ALL Fabulous oceanna! What fun to make dolls or figurines a part of the furniture!
    Polly, could you give us some clues how your girls want their room to look and feel? What do they say would make their dream bed? Do they want them to match or each their own personality? Are they indoor/out, princess/tomboys,animal/doll, sport/books,art/music.......

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Polly, yes you ARE that talented! A little painter's tape, a little paint, if you can cut something out and decoupage it on, and voila!

Which look appeals to you most, and we can discuss how to do it?

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

caminnc~ That 2nd bedroom is hollygolightly's. I LOVE her home, and that bedroom is one of my fav's. She's had more recent photos of it with drapes, etc. Beautiful. Happy to see it again. ;o)
    Have fun decorating for your girls. I LOVE that 1st room Caminnc showed with the raspberry/yellow toile. YUM. That room is spectacular!!

• polly929
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oceanna, I really like the beds #1 and #8, I think I could manage something like the first one without the topiaries though. My girls are really girly, they love princesses and dresses. I really want to do something that will last into their teen years, but who knows what they will be into then. The room currently has 2 pink crystal chandeliers in it and it is similar to the color of the room caminnc posted (raspberry/toile).
    Just to give you a little insight, the room they are in was never finished. We bought this house 2 years ago, and it was a total gut/rehab. Prior to moving in we hired contractors to skim coat the plaster walls and put trim around windows and do crown moulding. They never finished and the GC disappeared. We had to move into it this way and they currently have 2 windows in their room that are boarded up from the outside that we found underneath paneling, no window trim on any of the 5 windows in the room. We are expecting another baby and my goal is to get their room finished before this summer.
    So even though I love the color, it is secret rendezvous from BM (it looked so much prettier in the tiny bedroom in my last house) I think I will change it to a pale pink, it might be a little more soothing. Someone on here posted a pale pink room about a month ago that was GORGEOUS, and now I'm stuck on it.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Polly ~ I 2nd what Yayagal suggested. I think those little wooden appliques are the best! I bought a red dresser at thrift for $10. I painted it white glued 3 appliques on, bought crystal knobs and used it as a changing table for all of my kids. Still love it to this day. What a custom transformation for pennies on the dollar!

BTW ~ what I wouldn't do for that cream and blue bedroom set!

• Mike Stimson
    3 years ago

We did 2 of these for our girls who share a room. https://pin.it/4oBK5SL