Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Pics of my RH salvaged wood trestle table

juddgirl2
14 years ago

My RH table's here and I love it. It will soon be moved so we can finish the flooring, but I had it all put together for a New Year's party so I took some pics even though the room's not done yet. (Sorry if they're too big - can't figure out how to resize them on Photobucket.)

For those who asked about the surface of the tabletop, I tried to take some close-up pics to show the roughness is where there are pits and grooves in the wood, but the table is sanded so I don't think it would cause splinters.

Please excuse the lack of floor, window trim/paint. That's next! (In the foreground, you can see the stone ledge and antique oak beam we just installed for the fireplace. That was holding up the floor install.)

The table does have a small defect on one of the pedestals where the corner detail was cut too short or broke off, so RH is replacing the table but letting me use this one until it comes in sometime in March. When the replacement table is delivered, I plan on putting a protective finish of Monocoat oil and Briwax on it to protect it from stains. This table is completely unfinished.

Comments (43)

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! What an amazing table! There is so much beauty in the simplicity of it and the fabric on the chairs. BTW, what color is on your walls? Even without flooring, it gives the room a warm, washed feeling.

• kimberlyrkb
    14 years ago

It's gorgeous! Oh my, I love love love it! That is exactly the kind of table I'd like to have, if I had the space.

Too bad you have to have it replaced, but at least you can use this one in the meantime.

• seww
    14 years ago

Love, love, LOVE it!
    This is the perfect kind of furniture; you don't worry about a few nicks when they happen-infact they probably add to the character!
    Sue

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love the table against your slipcovered chairs! So so pretty!

Kat :)

• redbazel
    14 years ago

It looks great---very rustic!

Red

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Fabulous! Can't wait to see more --

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Just lovely ; the whole effect with the chairs is amazing, I love it.

• amac
    14 years ago

Judd,

The table looks amazing! I love your chairs with it as well! I am so glad you got the bigger table - I think it fits perfectly and it makes quite a statement!

Do you have a chandelier picked out? Are you keeping the wall color? What type of flooring are you putting down?

I'll look forward to seeing the completed room!

Great Job!

AMAC

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Looks great! Love the chairs with the table. Going to send link to DD1 so she can see it pulled together.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh, it all looks fabulous!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I couldn't stop thinking "wow" inside my head as I scrolled through your photos. WOW!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - thanks so much everyone for your comments. I have to say that as I was choosing the table and chairs, I was a bit worried that the "real thing" wouldn't fit my vision, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. The chairs are a bit frou frou for DH, and he would have preferred more country windsor chairs, but I like these much better with the table.

jmnolan - my wall color is SW Camelback - a few shades darker than the SW Believable Buff I used throughout the rest of the house. I wasn't so sure when they were first painting the room but I'm very happy with both colors and the Camelback does look very rich and warm IRL.

My wood floors are Carlisle wide-plank Eastern pine, ranging from 12"-20" wide. We're staining them Minwax English Chestnut and using a tung oil finish. The trim will be SW Antique White. DH is doing the install, and most everything else, so it's taking a bit longer than expected.

My chandelier is the 8-arm oval Hubbardton Forge fixture, but I think I made the wrong choice for the glass bells. I ordered the opaque stone glass, but now I think perhaps I should have chosen the water glass, since it might look more country and also matches the glass in my foyer fixture. It hasn't been unpacked yet and I might be able to exchange them - what do you think? (The pic shows the opal glass and the stone is a bit different, but it's close.)

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Really pretty! I just love it! Can you tell me about the monocoat oil - I have heard of the Briwax but why both?

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I vote for the water glass. You'll love your HF fixture. I have a TON of them!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Love those chairs, too : )

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

The long awaited table! Thanks so much for following up and letting us enjoy it with you! The chandelier will look great with it. As far as the glass, I like the stone. The clear glass will show dust easily. It will drive you nuts. Enjoy !

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Love it! The table and chairs remind me of an antique set that my parents had at their beach house. We could all fit for those family meals - no children's table!

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! Totally worth the wait.
    I like these chairs better. Your DH's design privilege is now permanently revoked LOl :-D

The new floor would make it look even better.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

True, the water glass does really show the dust. I'm sitting here looking at it right now on my HF foyer chandelier. Wait, I took off my glasses and don't notice it now - much better! This is why I chose the stone (and because of possible glare), but now I'm thinking I might just have to dust a few times a month because the water glass is so pretty (when clean). At least I wouldn't need a ladder in the dining room!

For anyone who might be interested in the table on a smaller scale, RH now offers it in a 7ft length (10ft with leaves). We have the 9ft and comfortably sat 10 people at the table for a casual dinner the other night, without having to use the leaves (the side chairs at the end straddled the pedestals). It is nice having so much room, especially when my older kids are home for dinner. When it's just the three of us, we sit at one end, otherwise I'd have to yell across the table to DH!

willow - I also never heard of Monocoat and have always used Briwax, but I visited their website after reading that RH recommends it for their salvaged line. I understand it's an oil finish that actually penetrates the wood, rather than sitting on top like Briwax. I do have a few heat/water stains on my other tables that are difficult to correct with the wax, so I'm thinking this might offer extra protection. Briwax might offer a bit of sheen, so I thought I might use both. Eiher way, even applying a clear finish will likely darken the table a bit, which is fine for me.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I also have a raw wood table in my kitchen which I finished with Briwax and still have a bit of staining. We use placements. I have another table which I used bowling alley wax on and have no trouble so I may try a few coats of that. Do you know if I can monocoat after I have already Briwaxed? BTW the Briwax did slightly darken my table, but I like the soft sheen.

• kgibbins
    14 years ago

Beautiful - love it.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

willow - I'm not sure but I think you may have to remove all the Briwax before you can apply another finish. This website offers helpful tips about applying/removing Briwax, and I believe it recommends mineral spirits to remove Briwax. I've ordered Briwax from the site before and they offer a lot of advice over the phone also.

I had an antique Irish pine baking table that had terrible marker stains as well as rust stains on it from some old nails. I washed it down with mineral spirits and used wood bleach on the rust stains and it seemed to take it down to the bare wood. A bit of sanding and few fresh coats of medium brown Briwax brought back its beauty. Some rust stains remained but it just adds character!

All of my tables are fine with just the Briwax except the kitchen table, which gets a lot more use from hot/cold food and drinks but even those stains usually come up if I reapply the wax with some very fine steel wool. My local RH is now selling Briwax and recommending it for their salvaged wood line, although the webpage for the table currently recommends the Monocoat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briwax FAQ

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love RH's tables, too. I was just showing my dh the farmhouse one, as I want him to build ours in that style.

We used Rubio Monocoat on our floors (hand scraped walnut) and I really like how they turned out. Easy product to use and zero VOC, which is one of the reasons we used it. We needed to finish our kitchen floor during the winter while I was pregnant and by using monocoat there was no need to move out.

I love the silky finish the floor has, and especially that it has no plastic/poly look to it. I am glad you mentioned that RH recommends it for the tables, as we hadn't decided how to finish our table. (Wishful thinking that it will be ready to finish soon; I'm not sure when dh even plans to start making it...) Monocoat comes in about 30 colors, as well as clear, BTW.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

I also meant to say that Rubio Monocoat only bonds with raw wood fibers, so you would need to remove the Briwax, first. The nice thing about it for my floor, is that we can spot treat any scratches by just lightly sanding the scratch and rubbing on more of the monocoat.

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

OHHHHHH Myyyy Goodness....Serious Trestle Table Envy here!

Gorgeous, beautiful!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Just beautiful. I just about flipped....my DH was looking & drooling over the RH trestle table. Not sure if it is in our future, but.........DH is on board.

Smiles:)

• User
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I am in awe. I love the contrast of the chairs and the table. I would go for the clear glass too....you will love the jewel like look at night...like fire flies.

Do you have a pic of your other table...the baking table? I would love to see it. Where did you get it ? I have looked and looked....you certainly have the decorating knack. c

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the compliments on the chairs and table - I think it was worth the wait!

timber - it's nice to hear from someone who can recommend the Monocoat. I'll definitely try it on a sample piece of wood first but it would be great if it doesn't change the look of the table too much but offers good protection.

trailrunner - I found both my Irish pine table and my other antique pine console table on CL. Unfortunately, they're in storage right now but I do have the CL pictures from the PO. I periodically run searches on CL for "antique pine," which is how I came across these. (I need to stop now b/c I'm running out of room!)

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

Oh those are wonderful...I would be "out of room " too if we had a GL that was that good ! You are lucky. Lookin forward to the finished pics of the house. It is just so nice. c

• jamaraz
    14 years ago

I've been drooling over this table for a long time too. Just a quick question. How do you think this table would look with simple RH leather chairs? I was originally going to pair it with a fancier fabric chair but I am wondering if a simple leather chair might suffice.

Your chairs look beautiful too!

• pps7
    14 years ago

Looks gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see the floors! We are getting Carlisle pine floors 8-12" but 12-20"-wow! Once our house is done then I'll be on the search for a farmhouse table. I love the RH ones. Unfortunately this is just a hair too big.

• jjam
    14 years ago

Positively gorgeous. What a beautiful space you have for it.

Perfect!

• zipdee
    14 years ago

Simply amazing table, it looks so beautiful with your wonderful chairs too!

• stu2900
    14 years ago

Love, love, love that table!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! My chairs are from the Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic store, but they are a very close match to the RH table. I like them because they're one of the few feminine decorating touches in my house.

pps - the RH salvaged line has a smaller 7 ft trestle table and also a round one that I'm in love with. If I didn't already have a perfectly good farm table in my kitchen, I'd definitely get the round one for that room.

• amck2
    14 years ago

Just want to add my compliments to your DR choices. What a beautiful space!

If you're still looking for opinions, I vote for the clear glass cups. I held out for a HF fixture for the kitchen island in our home and am so pleased w/ it. Since we purchased it 5 yrs. ago I have seen similarly-styled ones in the big box stores, but they can't compare to the heft & beauty of the metalwork on the HF piece.

We have Carlisle wide-plank Eastern pine floors at our lakehouse and I would love to see your DR once yours are installed.

I, too, envy your beautiful table and chairs!

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Whoa! That is sensational! Rats! Now that table is back on my obsession list.

• Cadamsinco
    9 years ago

I see it's been a few years since you first posted the photo of your beautiful RH table. I was just wondering how it turned out after you added the protective finish on top? Did it change the color or look much? I just love this table and am considering purchasing, but I'm very hesitant as I wouldn't want to take a chance on ruining it with stains. Water marks, dark fruits and juices, food oils, etc. are my biggest concern with teens around the house and grandchildren visiting. Any helpful hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cadamsinco - I would not want to use this (or any) table without a protective coat so I understand your concerns. It's been several years and the finish on the table is holding up just fine. No stains or water marks at all, and it gets used on a daily basis (and lots of kids here, big and little!)

I just ordered the Monocoat Refresh to freshen up the finish but haven't used it yet. These instructions seem even more simple than the first coat - just wipe on and wipe off. I also ordered more of the clear oil to use on the new RH Dutch Industrial side table I just bought.

The oil does darken the wood finish to a nice, warm brown and I actually prefer this. Here is a link that shows pictures of the table after I applied the oil. It's pretty much still the same color - maybe got a bit lighter after it was done curing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Monocoat oil on RH table

• sdun
    9 years ago

Can you tell me if the RH table you ordered is in the natural or brown finish? I have been eyeing this table forever and love it! Thank you!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

She mentioned in one of the posts it is completely natural. I love this table wish she had posted how wide it is but this is a very old thread so I'm sure OP is long gone. Good luck.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

very nice.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered the table when only the unfinished version was offered. I think that would be the natural finish that's offered now.

I did apply clear Monocoat oil to protect the woos and it darkened it a bit.

My table is 42" wide. At 9 ft long (and extending to 12 ft with the leaves) it's a perfect size for large family dinners.