Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Altered perspectives--- plates/can I make them

nosoccermom
10 years ago

Just came across these plates and am wondering what you think of these.

Eclectic Living Room by Amsterdam Media & Bloggers Louise de Miranda

I have a bunch of Delft plates, some valuable, others not. Could I make something like this myself? Would it be too weird?
My paint skills would be good enough for the very abstract ones (which I think is too wild), but I could probably manage the Fauve style.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: altered perspectives

Comments (19)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

It appears they've decopaged the plates. That would be a lot easier than painting them. So find some prints/paper you like, cut it out and mod podge the paper to your plates.

Interesting concept! I've seen lots of altered things, but not plates.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but I don't get it at all. That little collection of plates on the wall of the top photo looks just sad and weird. I mean no offense, but I honestly don't get it as a design thing. What's the point?

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Did anyone notice those prices! WOW!

To each their own but I love plates, especially transferware, so could never do that as IMO it does not enhance their attractiveness. It is edgy tho so if that's your thing it would be easy to replicate. And wouldn't cost much either.

I don't mind the idea of altered plates but would prefer to see something like this:

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I don't get it either, but at those prices, I may start painting some of our old plates and selling them! I wonder if any have sold.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, "most of the sets are already sold out." LOL!

Maybe I'll try it with a portrait ... like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: more plates

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I really like them. Was shocked at the price. Hope you give it a try, and share pics if you do!

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

If you did modge podge you can wash it all off when you decide this is no longer of interest to you. I am not a person who appreciates the abstract--but if you do go for it, nothing to lose if you use washable glue on fired plates!!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

The artist says that she uses canvas paintings for the abstract. I wonder how she applies them to the plates? Most canvas is thick and stiff. Sounds like she is using old paintings too!

I do not care for the plates, although the floral is pretty.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

No offense nosoccermom, but I'm thinking the ones that are "sold out" were placed on there with that on them to begin with to make potential buyers think they're something awesome when in reality they're thrift store plates with old prints Mod Podged on them.
    I'm not into most altered "art" though so maybe I'm way off on my opinion on this.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

These are already knockoffs of something else which I can't find now. Someone has introduced fine china that mixes two traditional but sort of clashing patterns on the same plate, including delft.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mod podge washes off? Not in my experience. I used it to decoupage images onto a blue plastic soap dispenser in my PR and it stands up very well to the wet environment and washing. I can't imagine it'd be any different on ceramic.

I think the art looks doable, but I'd only do it on inexpensive plates that I didn't care about. If it's a valuable plate, I wouldn't risk doing anything to damage it.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I would play around with some old cheap plates and no original art ---unless my art :)

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I think the portrait one is kind of interesting. Sounds like a fun project. It isn't art I'd spend a ton of money on though.

Beth P.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I like them; and if you like them it would be fun to play around with it. I wouldn't use any valuable plates or anything, though.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

I like the portrait one a lot. The others not so much.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

I don't really care for any of them, but the portrait one is more attractive than the others. I think what makes the portrait better, to my eye, is the fact that there is a unifying theme to all of the plates that seems more appealing to me. However, if you have the ability to create something similar and like it, go for it!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Annie, it depends on the Mod Podge whether it washes off or not. The original, if soaked for awhile, will come off. I recently removed tissue paper from a plastic lazy Susan I covered probably twenty years ago. It took a bit of work, but it all came off to where you'd never know it was there.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Fornasetti does a form of decoupage on plates, which I find interesting.

I like the altering of plates in a creative way, if you have gotten tired of them in their present state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fornasetti plates with portraits

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I really like the tray with the newspaper articles (not for 750.00 though). This could be really cool if one picks personally meaningful articles.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths