Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

MCM modern remodel update

Pipdog
10 years ago

Happy New Year! We're winding down the remodel of our 1957 mid century modern. Move in date should be next week if all goes well. The floors are finally in and painting is almost done except for some touch up. Kitchen and baths will be our next projects, but we want to live in the house before we embark on those projects and take it slow. I've been doing some gardening over there and am bringing over my frangipani and my bougainvillea over to plant outside. It's starting to look more and more like our home!

the peacock checking out the new space:

Comments (26)

• bpath
    10 years ago

Oh, pipdog, it is wonderful. Enjoy!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Oh wow, the view!

That was FAST!

Your new peacock friend seems to like it, too!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Everything is looking so good! I'm anxious for you to show it to us once you're in, Pip.
    Lynn

• theclose
    10 years ago

Absolutely stunning. The house is beautiful and that view is to die for!! Congrats and can't wait to see more pics!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, bpa, annie, mamorella, lynne and gsciencechick!

gsciencechick, it did go by so fast and I can't believe it got done before our move in date, which is due to the efforts of our amazing contractor who worked nights and weekends to get this finished on time. We worked with him on our old house which is over an hour and a half away (which is near where he lives). He's been living in our house with his crew during most of the remodel, going home maybe once or twice a week (in traffic, it can be up to a two hour drive one way for him). I can't say enough good things about him and am so grateful to have found such a great crew.

In case anyone didn't see the before, here's the foyer/front entry when we bought it. The original floors were black slate, Mondrian style floors.

and the same POV after (there's a glimpse of the wallpaper from the late 60s in the hall bath that I didn't have the heart to take down):

The peacock has been hanging around a lot more recently. It's almost mating season and their feathers are all filled out. The one that visits us is very tame and friendly. He will eat out of your hand and is not afraid of our children. I took this shot of him the other day

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Very excited for you!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

So cool! I cannot wait to see it "all moved in!"

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I love that and can't wait to see more pictures-hint hint..every room every angle, every outside view of house! Can you tell I love MCM?

Congratulations! Wishing you lots of joy there!

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

What a beautiful house with a gorgeous view!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The house looks great. What is that a view OF?

• mahatmacat1
    10 years ago

My jaw dropped progressively lower and then fell out of my mouth altogether at that last photo.

How lucky the house is to have you as its new owners.

• lovestowalk
    10 years ago

Stunning!!!

I love what you have done. The view is amazing.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There's nothing like having the materials and colors be you!! Looking good, so much different than what was there. You have given the house a new life!

What a spectacular view!

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Beautiful home, beautiful view. What are your flooring materials?

• chispa
    10 years ago

sjhockey fan - view is the Pacific Ocean and some of undulating coastline.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Ah - mazing! Gorgeous views, incredible house - can't wait to see the rest of what you do.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I love the color of the floors and I can't tell if its wood or tile! Details please!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

WOW! What a beautiful home and even more beautiful view. I could live there.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

What a beautiful home and view! and what neighbors (the Peacock!).

btw, if you are not using those dining chairs, send them my way!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, everyone. We feel incredibly blessed to have found this little spot and to be able to raise our family here. We haven't even moved in yet, but it is already a special place and can't wait to make some great memories here. It's unbelievable to us that had we not bought it, this house would have been torn down to make way for one of the oversized, generic Mediterranean style villas that are popping up everywhere out here.

msrose and sail-away, the flooring is tile imported from Italy. I was not totally sold on the wood look tile until I went to Porcelanosa's showroom in Anaheim. We narrowed it down to two manufacturers -- Porcelanosa and the Italian one (whose name I am forgetting right now) and chose the Italian one because it was a better match with the brick/stone in the house. The tiles are large (48 in long) and the install went surprisingly well given the size of the tiles -- I had heard stories of bad lippage and poor installation, but we are happy with the result.

sjhockeyfan, chispa is right, it's the Pacific as viewed from the peninsula south of Los Angeles. Locals call this view the "Queens Necklace" which looks over the Santa Monica Bay (including, among other things, Manhattan and Hermosa Beach) and looks into downtown LA and the Hollywood Hills in the distance. The back of the house faces Malibu (the landmass in the distance), and the side of the house faces due west/Catalina Island.

">

Thanks to you all for your input and suggestions on paint and flooring choices. I'm sure I will be coming back with questions about furnishings, décor, etc. We sold 95% of our furniture with our old house and we're pretty much starting from scratch, so I could use some input! This is our first modern home (coming from a cottage/ranch, a Victorian and then a Craftsman before that), so it's also a design paradigm shift for us.

x-posted with gooster, dang, I wish I had known before! I would have saved them for you...I just sold those dining chairs on Craigslist last weekend.

This post was edited by pipdog on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 4:38

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Amazing transformation. Furnishing should be so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Looking goooood!!!

Can I see the view from my room? :)

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 11:00

• amykath
    10 years ago

Beekeeper you are hysterical!

The house looks wonderful! You are so fast! I cannot wait to see if furnished and decorated. However, it is so nice and with that view I would be happy with a bean bag chair facing the view and the gorgeous peacock!!!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

LOL BeesKeeper'sWife.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

wow!! so stunning. how cool that you have a peacock too!!