Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_phase

Sunken foyer decor ideas?

new.phase
10 years ago

Our house has a large sunken foyer (roughly 8x9) opening to our dining room. One side has closet and the other wall is empty. Because it's sunken, ceiling is roughly 10 ft. I'll try to get a picture but I'm currently on my phone

I tried putting an ottoman there for seating and it just looks incomplete. I'm thinking of putting a small dresser for storage (unsorted mail, keys etc i hat the hooks look), but I'm not sure if that'll compete with the seating. I've trying to find some ideas online but it hasn't been easy. You people are very resourceful, please help??

Comments (7)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

How about something like a vintage telephone seat/gossip bench.?

• new.phase
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope this works. Not the best picture (builder was fixing the house) but hopefully shows the idea closet (mirror) on the right and empty space on the left

• new.phase
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's no railing on the right. We've asked the builder to fill the wall

• teacats
    10 years ago

So you are talking about the "new" wall (that you have asked your builder to fill in) on the right-hand-side of the plan?

.... o.k. ..... yes .... I would add a longer, lower vintage dresser or credenza (check your local Craigs List) with a grid of artworks above it ... if there is enough room -- add a small chair or bench to the right-hand bottom corner (by the doors) Always useful for putting on boots etc.

• chispa
    10 years ago

It looks like your house is being broken into by some masked thug!

You didn't ask about this, but personally, I don't think mirrored closet sliders are the best "look" for a foyer. I would have done doors that match the rest of the house and then placed a real mirror on one of the walls. Either a large one to the floor or a smaller one over a console.

You could do an open console (with a few small drawers) and slip a pair of x-benches beneath. Or a dresser and an x-bench on either side, could even do pretty chairs on either side.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

If you're still in the building process, I would consider changing out the mirrored doors for solid doors. If you're in the house already, you may be able to sell them on craigslist.

• new.phase
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry for the delay in reply! baby had been battling a fever and this crazy weather is not helping

haha, this was a old photo back when we just moved. sadly we're all moved in now so I'm doing the (slow) upgrades now

I'm so glad it's not just me who hate the mirrored closet door look! my husband is the "everything looks fine" kind of guy but that mirrored door looks very cheap to me. However, that closet is another headache of mine. It has 10 feet of space but because it's right next to the front door, I'll be forced to use the same height door as the front door and of course, I'll loose access to all the room above in the closet. I was thinking of opening another "window" on the top so we can store all the winter stuff, maybe?

Interesting idea on the x bench. I just looked a few on Houzz and they look nice and modern. any pros and cons of those? we have little kids (soon to be 2) in the house. Should we opt for a regular bench for convenience?

Thanks for all the recommendations by the way!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio