Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Choosing finishes for hall bathroom in 1926 French Revival

crl_
9 years ago

CROSS POST FROM BATHROOMS FORUM

We are planning to remodel the hall bath in our 1926 French Revival house this spring. The project is in conjunction with a kitchen remodel. I'm trying for choices that fit the house, but I'm not going for period perfect by any means.

The bathroom is on the small side and will have a wall mount toilet, an approximately 30 inch vanity and a curbless shower.

I'm thinking a large medium to dark grey floor tile with tight grout lines. I found an affordable 12 x 24 yesterday that is rectified porcelain. I'm thinking maybe a running bond pattern? Not very period correct for the house, but I am hoping it will be much easier to keep clean than small vintage-y tiles would be. And I'm hoping that it is neutral enough to blend in.

For the walls I am thinking white ceramic tiles. I'd like cove tiles at the bottom. Then I'm debating subway vs 6 x 6 tiles. We put subway in for our master bathroom about 18 months ago and I'm happy with them. But maybe 6 x 6 would be nice for a change? I'd like to have this tile throughout the room as a wainscoting. In the shower, I thought maybe a different tile for the top portion. What about white penny rounds? They strike me as a reference to a vintage look, but a more modern take to use them on the wall? Too modern?

For the vanity, it will be custom built provided by my contractor. I'm thinking slab inset door/drawer fronts. And I'm thinking of having it painted a dark blue, nearly navy? And we are considering marble looking quartzite counters for the kitchen, which should leave us enough from the slab to do the bathroom counter as well.

For fixtures and knobs and such, I'm thinking polished chrome. And glass knobs with chrome backing. It's pretty, easy to match between brands and we don't have hard water.

We are planning on a partial, full-height wall separating the shower from the rest of the room. Dh really wants this to be glass. I'm concerned about keeping that clean. This will be the kids' bathroom as well as the bathroom guests use (no powder room in this house). I will not be able to count on the kids to squeegee after each use. Would it be better to have a solid tiled wall at least part way up? Or if we pick a patterned glass with coating will it stay decent looking even without regular squeegee use?

So does it sound electic and like it would blend with the house? Or like a mishmash? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I don't like the idea of polished chrome, since I wouldn't consider it period 'friendly', and too 'modern'. I was also going for a French vibe, but not Provencial French, more of the Country French, and used oil rubbed bronze in knobs/hinges, since it isn't shiny, and gives an old look and 'feel'.

All your other choices sound beautiful!

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, I'm pretty sure polished chrome was commonly used in the 1920s?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: SF Gate article on vintage bathrooms

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Crl, it may have been.......

Just giving my 'perspective' on the chrome. I feel the ORB is here to stay as the 'alternative' to nickel/ chrome, while bringing in the element of having 'age'. IMO, more classy too.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

to counterpoint, I love polished chrome for period bathrooms!

Otherwise I'd be tempted less by ORB and more by pantinaed brass.

Would you consider 6x6 on the floor AND on the walls? I would love to know what all the knobs in the bathtub are for this one.

{{gwi:2138251}}

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 15:29

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Or maybe a 10x10 on the floor? Either way I think I'd like square floor tile personally, with the house?

I know the decor is ridiculous in this one...RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME.
    {{gwi:2138252}}

PS This search has made me find my future dream bathroom inspiration pic...so thanks! As soon as I find my pot of gold I will acquire the washroom below.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Los Angeles Architects & Building Designers Tim Barber LTD Architecture & Interior Design

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 15:55

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Robo, knobs are for cold/hot/shower, don't you think?

Eta, oops, just saw the fourth one up top. Hmmm, if near the shore, maybe salt water tap for shower?

This post was edited by cyn427 on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 16:05

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both!

Love those images. Vintage bathrooms had such outrageous color. I am slightly tempted by that, but at 1926 this house would have been right on the tipping point so plain safe white is pretty appropriate. And I do adore what bathrooms too. :-)

I have given some serious thought to colorful wall paper above the tile wainscoting, but my eleven year old already takes long showers. With a four year old daughter following on the heels, I'm thinking wallpaper won't stand up to the steam.

I would consider square floor tiles, but I think I'd want to get up to at least 18 x 18. I'm dreading the tile floor honestly because I have had such a hard time keeping them clean in the past. When we did our master bath two summers ago I chose linoleum, which has been a breeze to clean. But this bath is planned to have a curbless shower and tile seems like my best bet.

Any thoughts on the penny rounds? Too cute/modern? Would 4 x 4 set on the diagonal be better? I'd like to get some interest via texture into the room. And the penny rounds are just so much fun.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love pennyround. We just used them in a powder room in our 1904 beachhouse, in a minty color.

We also used a floral linoleum in one bath, limestone in another, the last two are wood.

Cork is also period.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Penny rounds with non-white grout for the floor perhaps??

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robotroplis, are you volunteering to come and clean my bathroom floor? ;-)

Penny rounds are just right for a 1904 floor for sure. Sounds lovely. But I'm not entirely sure they are right on the wall in a 1926 house. . . . Actually I'm pretty sure they aren't right as in period correct. But in more of an updated version of a bathroom? Maybe?

Love Lino, cork and wood, but I don't think any of them work as a continuous flooring material in a bathroom with a curbless shower.

Thanks!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Notice I said non-white!

I saw some black/white diagonal floors in my 1920s bathroom inspiration pics...maybe the update part could be b/w diagonal but with larger format tile?

Athough I have heard larger format tile is not recommended in showers due to grip issues?

Here is a longer discussion of that issue. It can be hard to balance the slope requirements of a curbless shower with larger tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large format tiles in shower

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 18:05

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link. I have tried to do my research on the tile and my plan is to find a tile with a high COF and then test it myself. The 12 x 24 I found has COF greater than or equal to .6 which should work according to my research and the tile shop. (Also planning on a lineal drain.).

I definitely do not want white on the floor. But I would consider a large tile set on the diagonal if I found a square that met my criteria. Does that seem like a crucial difference if I'm going all grey with matching grout?