Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

How to treat transom window over bed

nhbaskets
10 years ago

We are looking at purchasing a spec home that is already framed and has windows installed. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm wondering how to treat a transom window that would be located above our bed, about 75" from the floor. When I look on Houzz, the majority of this type of window does not have any window covering. I like that look, however I'm concerned that the light will bother us in the morning. The window is located on the west side of the house.

Anyone have windows above their bed? If so, how have you treated these? Pictures would be most helpful.

This is a picture that I pulled off a video of the model showing you the window. Our bed is a 4-poster that would come just below the window.

Comments (20)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

We used to have a window over our bed, not as wide as yours , and we put shutters over it.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti--that is what I was thinking. Did you keep them closed all the time or open and close them as needed?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

If it is on the west side, you won't have the sun pouring in on you. I am an early riser, so it doesn't bother me even with east facing windows that have no window coverings. If you are late sleepers, you may get light creeping in, but you could also plant a tree outside the window (15 feet away) that would offer you added protection from light for at least three seasons (at least as much as shutters which, although very pretty, never seem to completely block light anyway). I love the look of those windows without any treatments.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I'd be more concerned about the 4 poster; i think that might look odd, assuming its not as wide as the window. Light from that angle and the compass directions, I would not expect to be a problem.

• geokid
    10 years ago

We have one above our bed. We didn't think we would put treatments on it...the whole light streaming in in the morning and beautiful moonlight at night thing...well, that didn't work out. In my area of the country, half the year it doesn't get dark until 10pm and sunrise is before 5am. It's hard to sleep.

I had a great idea to use barn doors as sliding window treatments. They'd cover the window at night and during they day they would be a pretty back drop to our nightstands. For various reasons, that didn't work out for us, much to my disappointment. I still think it's a great idea. Similar to this:

Now we have stationary panels and light blocking shades that we close at night. Right now they are on a tension rod, but that is not ideal. I need to get double rod holders because I would like the light blocking shades to be completely behind the stationary curtains during the day. Here is a picture I just took in our room:

This post was edited by geokid on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 15:34

• Gracie
    10 years ago

It might be too long and narrow for shutters. We used shutters on a similar window in our DR, but it's at least twice as wide as that one and shorter.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Roller blinds? Maybe with a cornice under which they disappear when pulled up?

External rolling shutters/hurricane shutters?

Or just Roman blinds, like these:

That is, if you really need some room darkening/privacy treatment.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"I like that look, however I'm concerned that the light will bother us in the morning. The window is located on the west side of the house. "

Morning sun is in the east, not the west.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Leave it free of any type of cover or treatments...as others have said, the sun won't come around until later, and will be gone by the time you curl in for the night. Unless you go to bed really early ;)

• momcat2000
    10 years ago

Stained glass?

• xc60
    10 years ago

In our previous house the master bedroom had a transom window over the door to the back deck and was north facing. I hated that thing, any kind of light coming in the room early morning hours would disturb my sleep. So I can see it bothering others too.

One good thing is if the OP puts the bed in the same place, the window is up above and the direct light in your face should not happen. My window was on the opposite wall from the bed and no matter which way I faced when I slept the light would bother me.

I really like the last photo nosoccermom posted, I think it looks really nice and would be a good solution.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I agree with leaving it open. That was the architect's idea, to have this as a focal point in the room and if it is covered, it will lose its intent.

The sun rises on the east side and you will not have beating-down sun until mid afternoon. Unless you are a daytime sleeper, that should be of no consequence.

Try it without covering and see if you like it and then if not, I think the Roman shades or a sheer, shirred drapery could answer your needs. I don't think whatever you have there has to be opaque.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

We kept the hinged doors shut, but would open the levers when we wanted some light.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Easy to say leave it open if you are one of those that isn't bothered by daylight in the morning. I even find a way to cover the new blinking lights on smoke detectors! DH had to put tape over the lights of his ipod dock ... some of us are bothered by any light when trying to sleep. Because someone designed it, even an architect, doesn't mean that it is a good idea ;-)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I put a darkening window shade inserted in to the window and linen look Duette roll up blinds over the inexpensive darkening shade. I keep the fabric ones down all the time and at bedtime pull them up to pull down the darkening one . I am one who can't sleep without pitch darkness and that means covering any source of light anywhere in the room.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thank you for all the responses!
    cyn--The house we are looking at is in a 55+ community. Not sure if we can plant trees, but it's certainly a question I can ask.
    mtn--I love my 4-poster bed, so I'm not ready to chop the posts off. It's a shaker pencil point, so maybe it won't look too badly.
    geokid--I love barn doors and that would be an awesome look! Your solution is great. Thanks for the pics!
    mayflowers--I did find one photo on Houzz with shutters on what appeared to be a similar size window. I guess if I'm willing to dish out the cash, I can always have it made.
    nosoccermom--Thanks for the picture. Beautiful room!
    LuAnn--Yes, I know the sun comes up in the east, but in my part of the country the entire sky gets light too. ;)
    sasafras--I'm leaning toward leaving it uncovered, at least to start.
    momcat--I had mentioned stained glass to DH. Since I don't think I would have room to put any art (or at least what I current have) over the bed, that could solve two issues.
    chispa--I have duettes in my current home and love them. Motorized would certainly be the way to go. You certainly are light sensitive!
    xc60--Having the window in that location pretty much dictates where I would put the bed, though I've considered locating it in front of the double window due to other furniture placement. I think having a window hanging in the air might look strange, however. What do you think?
    patricia--another vote for leaving it open. Thanks!
    marti--was it difficult to reach the levers to close? I'm vertically challenged at 5'2". Guess that would be DHs job!
    yayagal--I'm glad to say we are not so bothered by light as you and others, now if we could get the birds to stop chirping in the summer at 4 a.m.

• sunfeather
    10 years ago

I'm glad to see this post. I have similar issues. We have a very bright street light right in front of our house. It shines through the transom windows and the windows on our front door. It also shines through the plantation shutters.

I'm curious to know how Crispa covered the smoke detector light! We have two in our bedroom - one from builder and one from alarm system.

It would have been smart of us to visit our house that night before we purchased it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Love the bar door idea and hope you can do that if you find the light bit gees you.

Chispa...I am the same way....I drape a hand towel over my alarm clock...looks ridiculous but does the job.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I too and supersensitive to any artificial light. I either turn my clock away or I turn it on its face.

I have one client, and her house is only one of three in this sort of enclave. For reasons I cannot understand, all three of those houses have all of their outside lights burning with 5,000 watt bulbs all night long, despite it being a remote area, next to woods, totally safe town. It's just bizarre. I cannot sleep when I'm at her house because of these blazing lights outside. I can only sleeps ith the windows wide open and fresh air, so closing the shades doesn't work. I either suffocate or get no sleep and a migraine from all the lights.

Aargh.