Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Replating silver coffee service

lascatx
11 years ago

My mother's simple coffee set -- small pot, creamer and sugar on a simple round tray, I think they are a Revere style came to me when my dad moved this summer. I was polishing them before the holidays and noticed the creamer had a small spot flaking off on the base of the pouring lip.

I thought of trying some silver leaf as a temporary cosmetic fix, but I know it will have to be replated to be done correctly. Does anyone know what it costs to re-silverplate? If I do one piece, will I need to do all 4 to have them match?

Comments (11)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I have no idea, but I found the site linked below which has some prices listed, when you click the blue Prices button on the home page. It's not inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pro Shine

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Call Akers on Richmond near Greenbriar and ask if you can get a ballpark over the phone. I've been pleased with the re-plating they've done, less so with their repairs on copper and brass. Should you wander in, do look at what is sitting around awaiting pick-up.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 13:48

• lascatx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yikes! I sure hope you wouldn't have to redo the whole set. I could buy something new for less. It isn't noticeable until you are polishing it. I think I'll try the cosmetic approach for now and see how I use it. I think I will also check locally and see what options there might be. I would rather deal locally than send of a cherished piece to an unknown someone on the internet anyway. Yikes again!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitchendetective, thanks! I had my last post on the screen a long time while I was searching for something for my son. My grandmother lived in that area and when she was no longer able to I lived there for about a year until I got transferred to Dallas. I knew there was a place over there and they were exactly who I was thinking of looking up first.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Just a warning that silver leaf turns black almost immediately. For silver picture frames they generally use aluminum leaf since it holds up better. Real silver leaf is actually used more for culinary uses than for the kinds of things you'd do with gold leaf.

You'll need to be careful not to touch the leaf and get it sealed almost immediately, then be aware that you'll have to get the sealer, leaf, and size off before you take the piece for replating.

• Robin Henson
    11 years ago

While we're on the silver subject here, I wanted to toss out something I've had great fun with. Please note this is strictly for pieces that are not sentimental or are way past any hope of reviving to their former beauty.

My garage sale addicted friend brings me pitchers, trays, candle sticks, etc. that are in such sad shape but purchased for quarters sometimes. If I am unable to improve their luster to such a degree I go to Plan B which is keep them out of a landfill and continue to enjoy the shape and form but in a different visual state.

These pieces are spray primed then spray painted with wonderful rich colors. Just picture all the pastels, vibrant jewel tones that the big box stores carry now. I have used deep cherry reds, warm aquas, matte black and more often than not re-sold the items for some nice fun money. That is the ones I don't keep for myself...

Another scenario is taking these great finds to a shop that works at customizing automobiles or motorcycles and have them dipped in chrome. Not cheap but it is a gorgeous unique finish.

Again, these measures are used as a last resort but the results are pretty darn cool.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Investigate Empire in Astoria, NY...I haven't used them, but I know people who have, and they apparently do a masterful job of replating. They can also do a butler's polish, which comes closer to re-establishing the patina of well-used silver.

Replated silver can look too shiny and aluminum-like in the wrong hands. And I'd also be reluctant to plate only one piece, if you want to use the service together. They probably won't look the same.

• lascatx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bronwynsmom. That's what I'd be afraid of, but it makes no financial sense to replate the whole set. I might be better off seeing if I could replace the creamer since the other pieces are in good shape.

Arjay, I couldn't paint this set, but it sounds like fun for others. I've seen ceramic and metal pots and flatware both used in garden chimes, bird feeders and bird houses. One (that I remember as being an old silver teapot or coffee pot as the centerpiece, was in a shop with a very hefty price tag. I really liked it, but figured I could make something before I could justify paying that for it.

• Robin Henson
    11 years ago

Lascatx,

I would never encourage you to paint your tea set as it has sentimental value. What I wrote about are items that can't be saved. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that point.

I hope you can find a workable way to get your set back to it's glory.

RJ

• lascatx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, you were clear. Don't worry. I was just agreeing that I liked the idea for those things past their prime (might even consider it for that creamer if I found a replacement) and had seen some other uses I also liked. If my mom's set gets worse and I can't replace the creamer, I'm not sure I'mm sentimental enough about the set to spend what it looks like it might cost to get the whole thing replated. If it ever comes to that, there will be blue involved -- my mom's favorite color and mine. ;)

• EliotD
    9 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it when doing a search for something else. I have re-plated spots on a silverplated candleholder, some antique knife blades, a tray [which had a rather large worn patch] and a coffee pot. I still have a bottle of Butler's Polish silver re-plating solution from England, but I can't get it anymore. However, there are several products on the market to replate silver, including Jax and Nushine plating solutions. They are fairly inexpensive and work by rubbing the solution on the worn spot. That's it. It may take several applications. The spot on the candlestick I re-plated took about 5 applications. It isn't hard and it doesn't take all that long. It lasts, too, if you don't use an abrasive polishing method.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz