Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

Artificial greenery, pottery....top of kitchen cabs?

booboo60
14 years ago

Happy New Year all you "decor divas"!!! Is it necessary or "proper" to decorate the tops of my kitchen cabinets? Since we have 9ft. ceilings there is quite a bit of space up there but don't know what to do with it. I have seen basket collections, fake plants, pottery, junk......I kind of like the "primitive" stuff....HELP please!!!

Comments (16)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Do you like that look? When you say primitive, what sort of things did you have in mind? I think most cabinet toppers fail because they're too small, too cluttered, and not in proportion to the space.

What sorts of things do you have in the rest of your kitchen?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Also, how easy will it be for you to get up there to dust everything on a regular basis?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Pottery yes, artificial greenery, no.

The things that look most natural on top of cabinets would be things you would put on a shelf or "store" there anyway. Large things, big enough to see properly and make a statement.

If a real plant would actually grow up there...meaning it would get enough light to thrive: maybe. If something real up there would be dead in a month due to lack of light, it won't look "natural".

• User
    14 years ago

Since you like primitive, I would go with baskets with different textures, pottery in the range of colors you like, and light and dark wood carvings all of course in a approporate size so you dont need too too many objects, otherwise it looks cluttered.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

"Is it necessary or "proper" to decorate the tops of my kitchen cabinets?"

It's not necessary at all; I find that when there is too much up there, it draws the eye to another layer of ornamentation. I think there is usually enough going on at counter level in kitchens so that leaving the tops empty is good.

• booboo60
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the input :)

ideefixe- I agree about the "too small and too cluttered", I guess an example of "primitive" would be, baskets, pottery, some vintage signs, etc.

cyn427- I am short anyway so I drag a stool around with me, that would be ok :)

palimpsest- I'm picturing just a few substantial things without all those "little collections" and yes, NO FAKE PLANTS!!

roseabbey- I like your idea and keeping it uncluttered would be my biggest concern.

mitchdesi- We have been in our house for about 10 months and it wasn't until I took all my Christmas stuff down that I started thinking about decorating above the cabinets. My biggest concern is it will look too cluttered so we shall see what I can come up with. Always fun to think about :)

Thanks all!!

• mjsee
    14 years ago

Also, how easy will it be for you to get up there to dust everything on a regular basis?

Ayup. Crockery would be fine...one can take that down and run it through the dishwasher. Fake plants are SERIOUS dust/grease-catchers...particularly in a kitchen.

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

I found you some great inspiration pictures...scroll down on this page. There are some lovely pics with large baskets.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

I am so glad you asked this question. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do above my cabinets. I am not feeling the love on the couple of cookie jars I have tried up there. I like the idea of the baskets. Those are some great inspiration pics jeannine!

I think I have a bunch of baskets in the attic. I wonder how they would look spray painted and if I could get paint to match the fiestaware I just got for christmas.

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

Just remembered that the link might not be allowed. Here are a few pics...hope these show up.

I used to store serving pieces up there, but I hated all the clutter. I wound up adding shelves to my pantry/laundry room and then putting little puck lights I got from Ikea up there.

{{!gwi}}

• booboo60
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jeanninepc99,

Thank you so much for the pics and link!! I really do like the big baskets....may have to go shopping :o)

• teacats
    14 years ago

jeanninepc99 -- GREAT inspiration photos!

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

LOL, twotogo. I am short also, which is why I asked. I avoid putting things higher than I can reach when I'm on a stool and cabinet tops qualify. I used to think nothing of climbing onto counters, but no more.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Chinese ginger jars, korean celadon, imari, english plates, etc look nice.
    Anything except fake greenery!

• sallymo2015
    14 years ago

Glad we had this conversation---I finally climbed up there and took down the last of the greenery I had as a backdrop to other items on the cabinet top (sort of ashamed to say I still had it). Whew, I feel so much better. Nothing like the new year to make one feel the need to get the house refreshed and off to a new start.
    Now just a couple of large trays, baskets and pottery---I really do need the cabinet top for the storage of those big things!

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

I'm bumping this because a blogger posted about this topic today and reminded me that we never heard back from the OP about what she decided to do!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES