Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drapery Rods...Please help!

Posted by clanz (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 13:02

Hi there! We'll, it's been about a year since my last (torturous) experience with custom curtains/drapery rods. I was very fortunate before to work with a wonderful woman from Etsy who ended up holding my hand throughout the process. I'm sure I drove her crazy, and I didn't want to start off this round doing the same. I'm about to embark on our living room and dining room windows. I'm planning on having a set of French pleated drapes made for each of the windows, which will remain open. My questions lie with the window hardware. I'm not sure what to purchase. I really would like to achieve the look of not seeing any rings, where the top of the curtains come up to or above the rod. I also like the look of the rods that return to the wall, although that's still up in the air and I'm not even sure if I can use that with a French pleated drape. I also wanted to find out if the norm was to use adjustable rods, or can it be disguised? Having custom drapes made, will it look like I cheaped out with adjustable rods? Finally, we have pretty heavy molding in these two rooms and a very small amount of wall space between the window trim and crown molding, so I think my only option is a very narrow rid? I've attached a couple pics. Thank you so much in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drapery Rods...Please help!

If you don't want rings to show, just clip the ring below the top of the curtain...of course, you have to allow for that when you measure so the length is correct.

You might look here for rods...

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtain Rod Shop

o

Speak to your drapery maker about your concerns regarding the rings. As you probably know, a drapery pin is inserted behind the pleat and the pin hangs onto the ring. If the pin is "lowered", the drapery pleat will hang higher and less will show. On the other subject, telescoping rods don't really bother me. Who is really looking that closely at your rods? Just remember to purchase a wide enough rod so the rod doesn't sag in the middle. I personally prefer a thinner ring-- I think they are a bit more delicate and more formal. Hope this helps.

o

Have you considered shutters with a beautiful valance? It's just my opinion, but there is nothing more beautiful than long windows with thick mouldings left 'a la nude'. In the evening the louvers could be shut for privacy, but left open during the daytime. I sometimes only open the top portion of the louvers, but on a very sunny day, the complete shutter to allow the cats to sun themselves. ;)

o

You can also use a decorative traversing rod or track. These don't use rings at all but maintain the look of a solid rod without looking like your typical metal traversing rod. I don't know if someone has used these to completely hide the rod but it seems viable, especially since you don't have the bulk of a ring to cover.

BTW, beautiful wainscot, trim and moldings. .

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith and Noble Examples, also available from others

o

It's really easy to clip your rings so that they don't show (or use drapery hooks). I'm okay with seeing all or part of the rings, but I don't care for seeing the clips and never understood why so many were sold. I finally learned about their versatility through many online sources.

I don't see how you can have a non-telescoping rod without finding something exactly the size you need or having it custom made. I have a couple of telescoping rods over sliders and I just don't notice the overlap as it's way above eye-level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here