Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Mattress Poll- reviews of recent mattress purchases PT 2

dedtired
9 years ago

Since I posted the 150th comment on this thread and lots of people seem to be finding it useful, I'll link to it here. Keep the comments coming!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattress Poll PT 1

Comments (10)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

dedtired, thanks for bringing us Mattresses Part 2.

You have to tell us what "morning Chinese" is and how it was affected by your old mattress.

I love the possibility of getting younger! I wish I'd know about this sooner.

I can't think of much more by which to evaluate my mattress than how my nights go and how my body feels in the morning. I am adjusting to the firmness and assume everything will soften a bit over time, if the mattress in the store is an indicator. After I rotated mine, I think I can tell the difference after just one month.

So, whatever happened to the morning Chinese? Are you more fluent? Do you now awake speaking Farsi? Norwegian?

• allen456
    9 years ago

Original Mattress Factory.

Can't say enough good things about this place.

We went for extra firm, and then purchase our own memory foam topper.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL -- Chinese is ipad speak for achiness, I think.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Memory foam pads are the best one for area rugs. Being durable and sturdy they can protect your rugs and hardwood floors for a longer period of time.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A mattress topper under a rug?? Kind of like walking in quicksand, I would imagine. Novel idea. The pets would love it, that's for sure.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Hahaha dedtired. That can be the new code for how you slept on your new mattress: "How's your morning Chinese?"

Mattress toppers under rugs would be interesting. It might give a whole new dimension to the marks left by furniture legs.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Linelle, have you considered getting a cushy topper? There are experts who recommend getting a mattress on the firmer side and then getting a topper than can be rotated and replaced as needed with a lot less effort and expense.

We went mattress shopping before Christmas and actually purchased a Beautrest Next Generattion Hybrid on a really good sale. We went back and rechecked it -- still liked it, but I was a little nervous after reading that Beautyrest is rated very well in the forst three years but below average after three years. That's the experience we are having with our current Beautyrest -- loved it for a good 3 years but between 3-4 years the impressions were enough to cause back pain and sleeping issues. They are borderline on being enough to get a warranty replacement, but we're not sure we ant to go through that again. The Next Generation hybrids have a layer of mini coils in the top. Seems like that should help with less impression sag.

While mulling that over, I really wanted to try an all latex like my son's (no longer sold at the store where we bought his). I found a mattress manufacturer about 45 min away and got DH to go with me. They had 3 latex mattresses and only one hybrid was even a possibility. Tried a memory foam that we both liked better than any Tempurpedic. We would us looking at and deciding on one made very much like the Beautyrest Next Gen but the mail coils are smaller, so there are a lot more of them. There is a firmer support but still the softness for comfort. More coils should hold up longer too. My brother and SIL tried the Beautyrest at Macy's. SIL loved it but DB said it was too soft. They tried the one at Texas Mattress Makers and they both liked it. My brother was laying on it when I stood up from the other side. Several minutes later he got up and didn't even realize I had moved. That should help SIL and me both with our active sleeping spouses.

We are supposed to get ours Saturday. Looking forward to that. Hope we love it as much as we expect to. They are customizing the box height and can adjust the top if we need it. If this works out well, I may never buy another major brand mattress. There is something to be said about buying from someone who makes the mattress, really knows and can show you what goes into it and can tell you why a mattress is or is not a good fit for you.

I found out BD and SIL have been sleeping on an old mattress covered with a pile of blankets. That says something about how much fun mattress shopping is, doesn't it? I can't wait until they get theirs. That should make a HUGE difference.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I agree about never buying a major brand mattress again, lascatx. We bought one that was made locally, and not only was the purchase experience much better, but they were much more transparent about what we were actually buying.

Our previous Beautyrest was great for around 5 years, but went downhill fast after that.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

lascatx, I think I'm okay with my mattress as is. I bought a new fluffy mattress cover that helps. It doesn't have as much foof as a topper, but so far, so good. I'm even getting used to the little slide off the bed before my feet hit the ground.

• tomcircle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You are right, when you said there are tons of information regarding mattress sizes and people will get really confused to narrow down the best one. I prefer to buy a brand that stand for their quality commitment rather than paying extra money for brand image. It is really wise if we are sure about the quality.