Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

I need help with my bedroom...pics enclosed.

ideamom
15 years ago

Ok, don't laugh!!! I know it's awful!! I was definitly in the matchy matchy phase. I'm so over it but need your help!

The door on the right leads to storage area. I am open to possibly taking the ceiling fan down and replacing with a pretty chandelier but will have to have a standing fan or something as the bedroom is on the 2nd floor and get hot in the summer.

As usual our bedroom has come last on the list. In 2008 we redecorated both of our daughter's bedroom as their birthday gift. Now mine & hubby's birthdays are coming up in March so would like to redo our bedroom. I need your eyes though to look at the space and give me ideas. The ceilings are low and slanted so I had one friend suggest that I paint the walls cream and scrape the acoustic ceiling off and paint the ceiling the aqua/teal color. What do you think about that?

Our bedroom has an attached sitting room that we use as an office. Here is a photo of a portion of the office so that you can see the colors we used.

The color scheme I would like is cream, tan/taupe and aqua/teal (like the color of the pillow on our bed and much like the color scheme on the following bed). I want it very tranquil, classy, with a bit of an beachy feel...I think more british colonial. We will definitly be buying new furniture so open to suggestions there as well.

You may have seen the bed I've been thinking about...

Comments (18)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

When I see designer's on TV dealing with slanted ceilings they always paint the entire room, ceiling and walls, the same color.

I would recommend a new headboard. Since your built ins are nice looking to me, I would use them as the jumping off point to decorate the room. If you get cream nightstands like the built ins you might want to consider painting the entire room a nice shade of teal. Remember now teal is a difficult color to match, so pick a color that you think you can find bedding to coordinate with. Since you have sloping ceilings which can make a room look smaller, you might want to consider some type of metal finish headboard. Something that wouldn't take up too much visual space. Do you have any other furniture in the room than what is pictured?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I would paint the walls and ceilings a cream color as in the picture with the bed you like. The ceiling fan isn't very attractive but since you need the aeration perhaps you can get a more colonial one with dark blades. I would confine the aqua tones to accessories like pillows and wall art. If you want elegant, you're better off with a calmer color scheme. Since you like that bed and the nightstands why not buy them but not the dresser so that not everything matches. With that bed it would be difficult to find nightstands that coordinate well so for once I'd say get the matching night stands. You'll also need lamps on each dresser, again something classic, as in the photograph. I don't know how large your room is, but do you even need a dresser? A lot of things can be stored in walk-in closets, linen closets etc. For some reason to me dressers seem boring. Perhaps you could find some other more interesting piece of furniture from an antique store or ebay.

Well, it's a start, and I hope it helps.

• amylville
    15 years ago

I agree with all that Ingrid said. Use the teal as an accent as is done in the room with the bed you like. If you can, get ride of the accoustic ceiling. I would also suggest a ceiling fan without the light kit, they are much less intrusive. Are you keeping the carpeting? If not, consider a hardwood floor with an area rug that has the teal and taupe in it. Good luck

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good points you all make, thanks! I do have a chest of drawers in the room that is not pictured all in the matching golden oak. That will be replaced as well as all the golden oak furniture. The room itself (not counting the sitting room) is small and the closet is small so that is why we were considering that bed with the drawers. We will also need a chest of drawers, this is the one that matches the bed.

A designer friend of mine suggested we do a padded headboard all the way up to where the slanted ceiling starts. What do you think about that? Anyone willing to play around with that idea on photoshop?

Here is the look my designer friend showed me in regards to painting the slanted ceilings.

Here is another bed we have considered, would just add a padded headboard to it and it would tie in with the baskets used in the sitting room/office.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm doing something simular, put a pale greyish blue on the walls w/white trim and I'm thinking of using a chocolate brown as a secondary color. This is the bed we bought along with the night stands. We love the bed, but I'm having trouble finding bedding that works with it. :c(

{{!gwi}}

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

luk: That is a nice bed! Who makes it? Why is it hard to find bedding that works with it? Is it because the bedding needs to tuck in under the mattress?

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I replaced a very similar bedroom set in my room last year. On the wall where my bed is on the ceiling comes down exactly like yours. We have crown molding on it.

I love the bed ideas you have. When we replaced our furniture I bought wardrobes which take up less floor space, but hold so much more than a dresser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for my bedroom ceiling pics...

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

daisy: You are right, my bed and slanted wall is alot like yours. Your after pic looks so much better! Can't wait till mine looks better!!!

• scdeb424
    15 years ago

"ideamom" I love the bed you've chosen and the colors you're thinking of will compliment the dark wood of the furniture--sounds like you know what you're doing. Can't wait to see how it comes out.
    I remember a time when I would have loved to have your "old" bedroom--we had mismatched hand me downs for years. That look was very popular and trendy in the 80's. DS moved out & we finally got some decorating money for the master bedroom about 6 yrs ago. We chose the same color of wood as you're thinking of & still love it.
    I enjoyed "daisyadair's" blog with all the pics--beautiful job on all the rooms. The colors are inspired. The 2nd bath intrigues me--the chair rail is so different--I'd love to copy that idea for my 2nd bath.
    Thanks to both of you for sharing!

• sc_irish
    15 years ago

I'm loving the picture of the second bed you showed....with the wicker baskets under it and that would pull in the idea of the baskets from your study area. I think going with a creamy color would make the area seem more serene - and am afraid in this case, painting the ceilings might become too trendy for your space - very shortly down the road. You could always change it, true. But I'd forego for right now. Keep us posted on your plans.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I like that first bed you have shown but I would not use two colors on walls with it. I like the cream color shown in the bed photo and would do the ceiling and walls all that color. If you have room I would get the matching nightstands. If possible, maybe wait till that is all done and then make a decision as to the dresser. If you have room and it is not too heavy looking at that point in your decorating I would then make a decision on the dresser.

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for the advice on the room. I lived so many years with white/cream walls that I'm a bit addicted to color on the walls now so not sure I can go back to white or cream walls. Maybe I can go with a color like SW Rain...what do you think?

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

If you need a ceiling fan, and I can sure understand why you do as I'd never do without one in our MBR, I say skip the chandy and just replace the fan with one that's large enough to cool your room and is in a style that works with your new furniture. Skip the lights on it, though, and just use lamps on your nightstands, dresser, and wherever to light your room.

Bed: think about the fact that you'll probably have to replace the storage baskets under that one bed you like someday in the near future (they will get kicked and frayed, etc). Will you be able to find good, quality replacements that fit those cubbies then . . . and at a reasonable price? It's something I've thought about every time I look at those types of beds. When I pay for a piece of quality furniture, I don't want to worry about replacing parts of it in a few years, but that's just me.

As for your bedding, I love your idea about using tan, cream and aqua. I like this type of coverlet. It's lightweight, so you can use it year-round and vary the accent pieces. This one I found on Kohls website and it's on sale at the moment.
    {{!gwi}}
    Then you can use an aqua print (or plain) coverlet folded at the foot of your bed until you need it. You can add matching shams and/or coordinating shams and bedskirt of you choose. Here's one idea, but there are many possibilities out there.
    "Linden Street Aqua bedding "
    Lynn

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I just painted my bedroom BM Gray Wisp aka RH Silver Sage.

I did sample boards of the Gray Wisp, Quiet Moments and SW Rainwashed. I found the Rainwashed to be a tad more robin's egg blue tinge to it.

The Quiet Moments was very pretty, but probably a half shade lighter than the Gray Wisp.

I went with Gray Wisp because I already had done it in the bathroom and loved it and thought it would be easier to have the colors the same. It's perfect and looks beautiful against my dark cherry furniture. It would look nice with the bed you picked out and the bedspread lynne posted. It also looks great with cream/white accents.

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

caroleah: Do you have a photo that you can post of your bedroom? Would love to see the color you painted the walls.

• User
    15 years ago

Thank you, we love it! Our master isn't small but it's not large either so this was a great alternative to a large armoire for my DH's clothes & additional storage. It's really simular to the first picture you posted. It's called Canyon Creek, but I'm not sure who the maker is. We were walking through a local furniture store, saw it on the floor and bought it on the spot.

I don't want to hijack your post but to answer your question, I don't think it being a platform will cause a problem for the bedding. I'm just having trouble finding bedding that will fit the look I'm going for. I want something that's more gender neutral, and on the cozy & casual side. Most of the bedding I've found out there is either too fussy for our taste, too modern or traditional for the room or priced WAY over our budget. It took months to find the right lamps which I found a couple weeks ago at Pier One (and on clearance), so I guess I'll find something one day, I just need to be patient.

Like the gray blue we used in our room, teal can be a very tranquil color. What shade are you thinking of using?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I have the straton bed (the second one you posted) but with drawers verses baskets. I have pets and I could just see those baskets all covered with cat hair...

But as a platform bed with drawers, it's great. It also comes with a leather headboard I believe (ours is backed into a bay window so no headboard). You do know it comes in a white as well right? Anyhoo, we really like that bed.

You posted two rooms with TOTALLY different feels. One is elegant and the other more shabby chic. Which look do you want to acheive?

If I were you, I'd go with a nice rich ivory tone like SW Writers parchment or parchment which is a bit more tan. I'd do walls and ceilings the same. White or cream is ok you know..as long as the whole house isn't the same color :)

I'd do crisp white cotton bedding and perhaps add a touch of your teal in either a piping detail or embroidery as well as a pillow or two.

Soft white fabric at the windows would look lovely as well. You could add a teal border for a bit more pop if you'd like. I'd do a ceiling fan only in a dark tone to carry up the bed color if you go with dark. skip the light :) Then add beautiful lamps next to the bed on each side on miss matched bedside tables. (Mine is a sewing table on one side and an antique stereograph on the other). Just ideas :)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"I am open to possibly taking the ceiling fan down and replacing with a pretty chandelier but will have to have a standing fan or something as the bedroom is on the 2nd floor and get hot in the summer. "

How about a ceiling fan that does not have big blades? You say you want something British colonial?

How about this ceiling fan with concealed blades?!?! Romantic looking.

{{!gwi}}
    How about a fan with retractable blades so it does not look ugly all the time and the blades come out when you need them.

{{!gwi}}

Just some ideas..............I know how important it can be to need a ceiling fan for air circulation and what a decorating challenge they can be.