Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindybarts_gw

Source for nice topiary for mantle

lindybarts
14 years ago

Haven't been around here in forever! :::Waving Hello:::

Anyone have a good source for a nice looking topiary without spending an arm and a leg. ;c)

I'd like a pair of them for my fireplace mantle and fairly tall. Maybe 24-36"??

I've tried all the local spots like Target, HomeGoods, Michaels etc. I'd like something a little nicer but when I look at the high end silk plants online...wow, they are pricey aren't they? ;c)

Comments (23)

• polly929
    14 years ago

Ballard designs? I'm not sure if these are too pricey for you though.
    I just bought some for my mantle from Christmas Tree Shops, they were only $7 each but they probably aren't the quality you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Topiaries

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Polly! Those aren't too bad in price and I really like these. Anyone have them that can tell me if they look nice in person?

• polly929
    14 years ago

Lindy,
    How did you embed the pic? (I'm a tech idiot, can't figure it out)
    These are actually the ones I want, but with a new baby in the house and the price of diapers, formula and childcare, I scaled way back on spending. The ones I found at Christmas tree shops will do for now :)

• User
    14 years ago

If you wait for the spring stuff to come out, I bet they'll be more readily available.

• maryelizabeth78
    14 years ago

Do you live near a Home Goods? I was just in my local store yesterday and they had a lot of really cute ones! I know merchandise varies by store a lot, but if you are close to one you should check them out!

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Polly, You right click on the picture you want and then copy and paste the "properties" into this sentence with a after:

img src="properties here"

lukkirish, thanks! I feel like I need something now because all the Christmas decor is gone and it looks so BARE! LOL!

maryelizabeth, thanks! I checked out Home Goods yesterday and they didn't have anything. I know that inventory changes often though and I will look again next week.

• Mimou-GW
    14 years ago

Lindybarts! Where have you been? If you have an Ethan Allen nearby check out their silks, sometimes they have really good sales.

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks nan53! I'll check them out! Yes, I took a little break from the boards and from decorating. Now, I have the itch to change things around again! ;c)

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

Lindybarts, I've been looking for the same thing myself - it's been endless trying to find what I want. Here's a site I found that has quite a few...

Here is a link that might be useful: Timeless Elements

• User
    14 years ago

Hi Lindy,
    I was just on Onekingslane.com which is a flash-sales website and they have really nice topiaries for sale today -- I think they are 28" tall and they are $49 each. I know that's kind of pricey but they were originally much more expensive so I think they are good quality.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

I'd like something smaller for my mantle. Earlier in the season, Lowe's carried live Rosemary topiaries. Which I had bought them. :(

Years ago, I made my own. I still have them, but they are looking kind of ratty.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

No ideas about topiaries...just wanted to say that it was nice to see your name on the board again! Welcome back!

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Newhomebuilder...live plants and I don't get along so well! LOL!

::waving to Amy:: Nice to "see" you too! ;c)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Rosemary topiaries need Lots of sun and don't do well indoors at all.
    However, ivy topiary is easy to make and does do well inside with proper care. I've made lots of them.
    A simple, but nice one is to take a wire coat hanger and an 8 inch pot or so. Uncurl the hook to make it straight and pull the triangle into a circle. Stick the straight part into the soil and plant an ivy -preferably one with tiny leaves- and tie it to the wire circle.
    Try to find an ivy plant with long tendrils.
    I'll give more info if you want but i have a dog in my lap right now.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

hey hey Lindybarts! welcome back! I have had great luck with ivy topiaries for awhile but even if I spray with insecticidal soap- they always die from spider mites. I can grow other things inside though.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

You have to use a systemic pesticide. I use one made by Bonide. It's granular and is sprinkled in at planting time and every couple months reapplied. You make a hole in the soil with a pencil and fill it with the product.
    It is absorbed through the roots to kill/repel sucking insects.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Lindy, last Spring I was looking for some faux topiaries for the front door, and I ended up buying two of them at very low prices online from Home Depot. I even bought pots from them too!

I remember they had a lot of faux topiaries at good prices. You could check the store out online because they usually offer more items than in the store.

Also, many people have come over and asked me how I got my topiaries to "grow" the way they did. lol. So they look pretty good!

After looking at the websites above, I think I'll be ordering some for my mantel also! I love the one's with color.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

bumblebeez - I didn't have much luck with my live Rosemary outside. lol

I have also made lots of the ivy topiaries. One year, I made them for all my children's teachers. That was fun! I made a couple for myself, but don't remember anything destroying them but my lack of watering. :)

• lindybarts
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You ladies are so creative! I'm in awe!

I will be checking Home Depot...thanks oakleyok. :c)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Ha, I changed my mind and bought a mercury glass trophy urn from Ballards, which is on sale.

Below is the link.

I thought about doing the topiary, but it's kind of dark on top of my mantel and when I saw this, I knew it was perfect! 22" is pretty tall, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urn

• melizaarora
    10 years ago

Hope you have found one? If not try topiarytree.net an online store that sells variety of topiaries. I bought a rabbit topiary from them. Best one I ever had...

This post was edited by melizaarora on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 3:05

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Mine is firm Wayfair and I've been pleased with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Topiaries

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I like preserved trees better than fabric plants. They are on sale at Restoration Hardware.