Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msannie48

Bedroom Set Dilemma

msannie48
11 years ago

My bedroom desperately needs to be redocorated. I have a honey oak bedroom set, Queen bed, dresser with mirror and only one nightstand that was purchased almost 15 years ago. It is good quality and in perfect condition. The dilemma is, it looks dated as it is country and it has only one nightstand. I really like the bed. Should I find a new place for the rest of the set? What funiture would I get to go with it? Or do I really need to let go and get new bedroom furniture.

As it looked a few years ago

Comments (16)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I think I would shift from the matching set. I really like the red. Very pretty and is not looking dated, imo.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I don't think it looks dated at all apart from the hardware on the dresser. I would change that out asap, LOL.

I do think the lamps are dated and wrong for the room, though. Something more Mission/Craftsman would look better to me.

You could always paint that furniture if your desire for a whole new look is strong enough...

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Oak and country style is only dated if you think so, and there's still a lot around in some areas and it's still a style (altho not at all trendy) many people use. Stores are still selling oak furniture altho if you've had it awhile I can understand being tired of it. I still have a country style oak DR set that I would almost have to give away but it's really good quality, solid wood, dovetailed corners, leaded glass doors, etc. so I'm keeping it and every day wonder how I can make it more appealing to me. I've considered having it professionally painted but perhaps will just sell it for whatever I can get, be done with it, and move on.

I like the pic where you have accessorized with red and you may be happier to only keep the bed in that room and use the other pieces elsewhere. You might find painted pieces or pieces you could paint to use with the bed for a different, non-country look. Perhaps a painted armoire would satisfy your storage needs and give an updated look.

• IRuehl
    11 years ago

If you are sick of it, but still enjoy the country look, why not try the modern version of shabby chic? You can use the same furniture you have now, it has the right bones. Just paint and some new accessory may pull it together?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

So here's what I'd do to update your room without spending a king's ransom...

I'd strip and restain that nice classic bed with a darker, richer stain.
    I'd hang something with a little drama over it - in this scheme, it might be a pair of stylish period fashion illustrations, or a big black and white landscape photograph, or a great old travel poster...

I'd paint the dresser a nice rich color, change the hardware, cut a glass top to fit it, and put a good piece of fabric under the glass.

I'd take the three mirror panes apart and paint the frames satin black.
    I'd hang the center one about 6" above the dresser surface, and put two simple, slender wall lamps on either side of it, to balance the light, and give you back full use of the surface.

I'd paint the night stands a good mushroom color, add glass tops, put both the glass ball lamps on them (with new, modern shades) and hang the other mirror panes side by side over them.

Then your red would work, your furniture would lose its country matchiness, and you'd have updated and refreshed the whole business.

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

I don't have any oak in my house, but I wish I did, so I could ceruse it! I fell in love with the look from a table that the Million Dollar Contractor did on DIY TV. Here is an example from a website that sells items with cerused oak finishes. I think it lends an ancient and modern feel, all at the same time. (No spam! I wanted to give the photo owners credit!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Knowlton Brothers

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

You love the bed--so keep it. I would shop for another bed side table--it doesn't have to be matchy matchy. The mirror is no doubt hinged if you wanted to lighten the dresser up and since you are not using it as a "tri-fold" mirror you could take them off and use the other panels as suggested above. I would get rid of the tree so close to your bed. Dust collectors and sleep are not a good combo, health speaking. Never would I paint beautiful oak like you have. Adding an armoire and a bed table that match each other and coordinate with what you have would update you. The ball detail on the posts looks like they screw off. That would tone down the country a bit.

• msannie48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. I have considered doing some of the things that bronwynsmom suggested. I do not want to paint this wood but since I have only one nightstand am not sure what kind of wood to use. I had considered some white stands, sort of shabby chic looking but I don't think that is the look I want. The tree and the red is long gone, well actually I was using some red until recently, was just trying the quilts to see if I wanted that. I don't think I do. If I keep the one nightstand, not sure what to get for something on the other side. If I get new nightstands, what color wood would look the best.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I had a set like yours with one night stand. I put a round table...one of the cheapy ones with a cloth over it that matched the bedding. You could use a low bookcase, small desk or many things with wood of the same color for the other side of the bed. I would get new lamps...they are not expensive. I would take the sides off of your dresser mirror and use them behind the night stand/table. I would put the tree next to the dresser...away from the bed.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Well, Angie, you introduced me to a new term today -- cerused! I'm guessing it's the current way to say limed or pickled (white pigment rubbed into the grain) -- is that right?

• msannie48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. I have considered doing some of the things that bronwynsmom suggested. I do not want to paint this wood but since I have only one nightstand am not sure what kind of wood to use. I had considered some white stands, sort of shabby chic looking but I don't think that is the look I want. The tree and the red is long gone, well actually I was using some red until recently, was just trying the quilts to see if I wanted that. I don't think I do. If I keep the one nightstand, not sure what to get for something on the other side. If I get new nightstands, what color wood would look the best.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

How about using round tables with floor length tablecloths for nightstands? Check out the "terrific tables" at Ballard Designs.

I'd stain the bed and dresser a darker color, remove the mirror and get a new mirror to hang over the dresser. Maybe in a metal finish to coordinate with the new drawer pulls on the dresser.

And yes, new lamps!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I am not a great fan of oak in general, but I like the bed as is. It's classic and traditional -- not too country for me. I would also like it painted white, black, a color or stained darker or in a color. I think you have a lot of options there, but I'm not sure what you are trying to work with or if the things you have pictured are all to be replaced. Are you wanting to stay traditional and which color palette are you working with (do you know yet)?

As far as the rest of the set, do those pieces meet you needs from a functional standpoint? If not, make some changes. If so, do you still like them and just want a fresh look or are you really tired of the set? Are you feeling tied to something that you don't know how to freshen up or that you don't really want to? How do you feel about painting or stripping and restaining. Could you DIY? Those questions are your starting point as far as I'm concerned. I don't toss furniture lightly, but I have moved a lot around from room to room. ;-)

It looks like you have a lot of books. You could consider and end table with one or more shelves or even a bookcase on one side by the chair.

I prefer a dresser that is nearly cleared, not covered, and just a few accessories. As I focus on that, I think your accessories are dating the room even more than the furniture. The dusty rose and green velvet as well as the red rose pillows are an older look. If you want something different, get updated pillow covers. I think you can use your quilts and give them new life just by accenting with updated pillows.

I'd clear the dresser and start over. No runner, no frames -- just a couple of items that have some color and interest (I have a hand blow glass vase and a dresser tray with a painting above them -- no mirror). Seeing the crown on the center mirror, I think I'd replace the trio with a new, non-matching mirror.

New lamps -- there are so many pretty options. Glass, dark metal or possibly simple chunky crystal would be what I'd be looking for, but you could find many options -- stone, marble, stained glass, etc.

Get some art on the walls. HomeGoods might be a place to look for accessories, lamps, mirror -- even art from time to time, if you have one near by. I think you can change the accessories and get a lot of mileage out of a lot less money than new furniture. The one piece I'd be most likely to replace (other than the mirror) would be the nightstand. It seems low and small by today's standards and it looks like you could use something larger with a bookshelf and drawers below.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

If you wanted to make the oak darker without going to the hassle of stripping the existing finish first, could you look into the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations products? I think they were made for kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities, but might work for this kind of furniture as well.

The bed is lovely, IMHO, and I would keep it. I would be tempted to get new nightstands, maybe in black, and swap out the hardware on the dresser (black or aged iron or pewter would be my choices). Whatever finish you do on the bed I'd repeat on the dresser and mirror (I like the mirror). I think with minor tweaking this can be updated for a LOT less money than replacing it.

• msannie48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As usual I always get the inspiration I am looking for here. I am not so much tired of the furniture as I really "need" a change. I am thinking changing the hardware, mirror and lamps is definitely the place to start. I do need/want larger Night stands or bedside tables. How would round tables in dark wood look? Or would black Night stands look better. This room very low light, except in the window nook so I was concerned black would be too dark.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like the idea of the round table and cloth, and I'd use a pair of them, which makes a smaller room more orderly and calm. I think symmetry around your bed would furnish the wall nicely, and make the room feel finished.

You can choose inexpensive tables that are designed for this, and then layer them for a finished look...I like a simply patterned or richly colored floor length round, a square white or cream top cloth, sized so that the corners fall a third to halfway to the floor, and a glass top. And you can hide all kinds of things under them!

In your room, a size between 24 and 30 inches around, and a few inches taller than the height of the mattress, would look nice. Take care not to let them be too small...night stands are often too small to be useful, and too low to make the bed feel settled in.

If 24" seems too skimpy, and 30" too intrusive, it is also possible to start with a 30" round, and slice off 3 or 4 inches straight across one side. Then you can push the tables back against the wall along the newly flat edge, tuck under the bit of extra cloth at the back, and still have a prettily curved table with enough surface to be useful.