Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otter07

best color to pair with red

otter07
10 years ago

I'm painting our bedroom and my boyfriend likes red, what color can I put with it so that its not outlandishly crazy I want it to be tasteful.

Comments (12)

• H.Parker
    10 years ago

Creams and warm browns and taupes

• crl_
    10 years ago

If you want to use red paint, you might consider using it on just one wall. Another option would be to paint a different color (neutral or blue come to mind) and bring red in through painted furniture or bedding or accessories. Lots of visuals on Houzz, one search linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz red bedrooms search[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/red-bedrooms-ideas-phbr0lbl-bl~l_47491)

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Since bright red is a color of high energy IMO it's not the best choice for a bedroom wall. I suggest using a softer or deeper red or, better yet, not using red on walls but in accessories - area rug, window treatment, bedding, one piece of furniture, or art. However color is a very individual choice and I believe we all see color differently so you and your boyfriend may feel differently about red.

Red is compatible with many colors - grey, taupe, brown, cream, pale yellow, white, navy, many blue tones, really almost anything if the correct tones are selected. Reds can tend toward the blue or orange spectrum or 'true red' which is balanced in the middle. Reds with the addition of black or preferably green (it's opposite on the color wheel) are deeper and more muted and a better choice for a bedroom, again IMO.

A way to use red 'tastefully' is in a sophisticated pattern for fabric, wallpaper, rug, or art. Or by using a deep red velvet headboard which I find very romantic.

"This link shows various tones of reds and different ways to use them on walls or accessories."

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I like this combo and think the red wall combined with the red sheet is wonderful.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Philadelphia Home Stagers Busybee Design

here's one with grey walls and lots of white with touches of red that looks really sophisticated, I think.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Atlanta Interior Designers & Decorators Simone Alisa

This looks like a grey with a lot of purple undertones and again the red bedding looks wonderful with it all.

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Montreal Home Stagers Le Blanc Home Staging & Relooking

• prairiemom61
    10 years ago

Creamy yellow works well.

• turnerdaniel770
    10 years ago

I go with grey.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, fun!
    Cream, white, grey, brown, gold, beige, khaki, black. Also, who cares if it's a love den? It's just paint.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

So many neutrals go well with red: white, cream, gray, beige, black. Personally I love the crisp contrast of red walls with white trim. And I think wood furniture looks fantastic against red. If you want a very bold room, red also goes really well with blue or yellow.

You might also consider some bedding that has touches of red, but an overall different color or neutral so that the red is pulled into the bedding, but the bedding provides another large surface with something other than red.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

It depends on your design style also~red with black or gray reads dramatic contemporary, with yellow cozy country, with ivory romantic traditional, with taupe or brown sophisticated classic, with turquoise care-free eclectic. Mind you, this is only what's in 'my mind's eye,' and not the 'word according to ASID', but would take the decorating/design style into consideration anyway.

• kayec28
    10 years ago

Is your boyfriend willing to let red be an accent brought in with bedding, lamps, upholstery, etc or does it have to be on the walls?

That first bedroom Olychick posted is stunning. But I also think it works because they painted the perfect shade of red on a wall that was broken up with a french door and a window, and then they added a large print with a lot of white to further break up the red, so you aren't hit over the head with a mass of red. And then they used red again in only one other place. The discipline to not overdo it is part of what makes that bedroom work. It takes a lot of skill to made red work correctly in a bedroom, IMO.

Also, I don't know your bedroom layout, but I think accent walls work best when one of the four walls is different from the others and actually has something to accent. That's just my preference.

Just to throw another idea out there, have you considered BM Wythe Blue walls with red as an accent color?

• krelavie
    10 years ago

I think the red accents look the best. I painted a wall red once...it took over 5 coats of paint to get it back to normal. And that was with a quality tinted primer. I think a greyish blue, grey or white would look really nice.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

You need to tell more about the size of your room, your window coverings, your furniture, perhaps what accessories you have that you will want to use. I know you can buy new, but there are always some in my life that I "have" to use. Red is strong! It has personality to spare. Men like it. It says blood, guts and sex. Just make sure that is not too overpowering for you. Three walls of beige might be a toning down of the red but if he wants all red, then he probably will have to be proven in some way that all red is not right when the sun is bright at 6 a.m. and he wanted to sleep in.