Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gawlt

Coffee table distance from sofa?

gawlt
16 years ago

I am trying to determine the ideal size for a new coffee table that will sit between two sofas that face each other.

I read on BH&G that the length should be between 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the sofa.

I figure the width should be based on how far apart my sofas are and how much walking room is required between sofa and table. Any rules about the "walking room" between sofa and table?

Comments (9)

• meg711
    16 years ago

It's funny but I was in someone's home recently and everything was perfectly done--except for one thing: the coffee table felt way too close to the couch, for me anyway. I think it's a personal thing that depends on how tall you are, whether you're trying to walk past someone else who is also sitting there, etc. Our coffee table is 18" from the loveseat and about 21" from the couch, but I think it gets moved around a lot so people can put their feet up. (It's temporary furniture.)

Do a mock up in your room or take a trip to the local furniture store, and bring your tape measure.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I just read, although I can't remember where, a coffee table should be approximately 15" from the sofa.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Well, I have always thought the 12-14 inches was a way to get my shins banged up or maybe a visitor's shins who perhaps had diabetes or some blood dyscrasias and would likely sue me if that happened so I think 24 inches is good for me. Whatever floats one's boats or cracks one's legs.

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

Mine has to be close enough so I can put my feet up on it!

• gawlt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to go with 18"

• les917
    16 years ago

Patricia, how do people relaxing on your couch reach their drink on the coffee table at 24 inches away? I measured that distance and I couldn't make use of the coffee table unless I moved all the way forward to the edge of the couch to reach the drink. Of course, I have short arms, but that still seems a long distance away.

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

I just measured mine because I was curious. It's 14" which I thought was a little too close, but I have rather large furniture in a not-large room so it almost has to be that close. And as I mentioned, it has to be close enough for me to put my feet on, and I'm short! I'm glad to see it's considered in the "normal" range according to the article quoted here. If I had a little more space, I might push it out a couple more inches, so I'd say 16" is probably ideal.

• chispa
    10 years ago

They deleted the spam that resurrected this post ... now we are left with a zombie thread!!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES