Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsbrad_gw

Solar shades, should Ieave them bare or get the valance?

MrsBrad
9 years ago

I am getting ready to order some solar shades for my living room but looking for a little advice before I do. I have decided on the Bali brand, color is Benton Pewter with a 10% openness. I have 5 large windows in my living room, 3 of which are very high up and will need to be motorized to operate. I like the minimalist look with clean lines so I was debating between leaving the rollers as is or getting the square valance option offered when you order them. I am wondering if I don't get the valance for the motorized ones if you will be able to see the motors. I have never purchased these before so I'm not sure what to expect. I would like to know which way people have gone (valance/no valance) and whether or not they like the look they've chose. Any advice/pictures are appreciated!

Comments (17)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

A link to the brand you are wanting to order would help so we know what the difference is in the look.

• MrsBrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the link for the solar shades I am referring to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bali Solar Shades

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

Get the valance. It will provide a sleek finished look.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like the square valance and I think it would still be minimal.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link. If it were me I'd get the valance for a finished look as Lori said.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

Get the valence. Roller shades without a valence feel a bit commercial, like sitting in a Starbucks or my office at work.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Where is the motor mounted?

• MrsBrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the responses!

Palimpsest, I believe it is actually inside the roller tube and the sensor is on the end of it. I haven't actually seen one in person so I'm not certain.

• sparklebread
    9 years ago

My solar shades are not by Bali, but they do have the valance. Hope you find the photo helpful.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would only get solar shades in the bronze color so I can see the exterior through the shades when they are down.

• MrsBrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your windows are beautiful Sparklebread! Thanks for the picture. I appreciate all the inputs. I'm definitely going to go with the valance!

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Hm... I'm stick on beverly's comment. We currently have dark blinds on the house and I am so looking forward to replacing them with white/cream tones to give more light to the space. I like the idea of seeing the exterior through the shades, but I do want privacy from the outside and I do want the window coverings to look light, not dark.

We will probably go with top down/bottom up shades so I'm not even sure this is an issue for me, but it raises interesting questions I didn't realize would be on the table.

(Sorry to derail you, OP - glad you are going with the valence)

• Amalia Blevins
    last year

Great information in here!
    I like the idea of clean minimalist Solar shades.
    Please add pics to see your final result

• Joel Relova
    last year

my wife wants the valance but I'm nervous that it might look bulky... we have a mid-century modern house and furnishing and looking to keep it clean and minimalist..

• Amalia Blevins
    last year

I had the same issue a month ago, every single person advise me to get the balance por a cleaner look to hide the motor etc.
    Please share pics! I will eventually

• Joel Relova
    last year

i went ahead order the valance cassette with my levolor roller blades. they said its only 3 inches from the top (slim profile). let's see how it looks. i'll post pics when project is done.