Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

My husband doesn't ask for much, but when he does...

akl_vdb
9 years ago

We've been doing this whole house reno since our dishwasher leaked over a year ago. So now it's new hardwoods everywhere, new carpet, new trim, new doors etc. Talk about creep!

So I went to this open house and loved the lighting. So I brought DH to see and he fell in love with the Baldwin reserve hardware for the doors. We currently have Schlage nickel and they are nice but as DH likes this other door handle and I usually get what I want, I thought it would be nice to get them for him, as he rarely has much of an opinion on stuff.

So in the show home/open house they had the Rustic arch rose as in the pic. But I showed him the square one and he liked that too.

And we're doing a soft white 2 panel shaker door with 5 inch base and 3 inch case.
What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments (29)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or the square? I'm worried with the shaker panels it might be too square everywhere, but it is a nice look, I feel the arch is a bit traditional but it is classic and did look great in that house we looked at.

Link to the open house we looked at! I don't think we're far off with our house to this look, we do love the comfyness of it!

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the open house we're trying to emulate

This post was edited by aklvdb on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 12:40

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have similar squared-off levers on raised panel doors and I like the look very much. I think the linear shape is more versatile. The arch seems very traditional to me.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The great thing about Baldwin Estate is that you can mix and match pretty much any lever or knob with any rose.

I prefer the square lever, I find the end of Beavertail a bit sharp. But you have lots of options and it is high quality hardware.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Square ... because. Just because.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Just tell him to pick.

Your problem is solved.

He can post here if he wants....

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Another vote for square. Like lazy gardens, I have no explanation - it just feels better.

One caveat. Do you have levers or knobs now? We have knobs in our home, but in the condo in which we currently reside, there are levers. I have to say the levers drive me bonkers. We are all so used to being able to hang things on the doorknobs, I keep finding bags, scarves, hair elastics, etc. on the floor underneath the levers where they have been hung and promptly fallen off.

Weird coincidence that we two gardenwebbers are both doing insurance reno's and seem to come from the same (fairly out of the way) city. Luckily, there seems to be way more options here these days than when I first started decorating :)

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Instant decision-square. Don't know why-just a "right" feel for one and not the other.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So square seems to be the winner! Thanks all!

Daisychain, your insurance claim is so much more devastating than mine and I feel for you. We do have levers now, so I know what I'm in for. Where are you from again?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Schlage Options.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks beverly27....he likes how the Baldwin feeeels and the heft ( said kind of sarcastically and in jest...) he likes the dark bronze colour too, and I find orb finish to be so variable. But thanks for trying to save me a few bucks! I tried the same thing, and no dice!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

"Winterpeg!", she said as if that were a good thing ( jk I really like it here :)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Sounds like you've decided, but just to pile on, we have the square Baldwin levers you show and like them very much. We have a 3-panel shaker door with a slight bevel. Good luck.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dh likes the square too, so I'll get my hardware lady to price it out.

Daisychain, what the heck...how are we both from here??

Thanks oaktown for the first hand perspective!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

and knowing the 2 degrees of separation in our fair city, you're probably married to my brother or something equally ridiculous.

It is odd though, I've been on this forum since about 2007 (had to change names when something crashed a few years ago) and there do seem to be more Canadians lately, but never from right here.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

You should know pets can learn to open lever door knobs. Just in case you have pets.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks emmarene. We have levers now and so far the 9 year old poodle can't reachâº

I tried to pm you daisychain but couldn't figure it out. I hear you on the small world aspect of our fair city. I'm sure I would have seen you at a family dinner had i been married to your brother though ;) but I'm sure there's a link somewhere. Cool.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I have the Baldwin arch rose with the oval knob on my doors. I love this combination so much I'm sure I'll choose the same for my next house.

That said, I like the square backplates with the lever handles - the arch doesn't work as well.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Sounds like your mind is made up, so I'm glad you've made a decision. We used the arch rosette; the square looks much more contemporary to me. Love having levers instead of knobs. I also agree the Baldwin feels much more solid the the Schlage we looked at. Be prepared for some sticker shock, but they are beautiful!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous too jackson 2348. I really don't think we could go wrong either way. I have an idea of the cost. Like I said, my DH doesn't ask for much, but when he does it's usually pricey!

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

I don't have any input, other than the post title first piqued my interest and then the door lever discussion kept me reading (love them!), but when I read Winterpeg I had to laugh. I'm in the sticks, west of Winnipeg :)

Dawn

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Welcome dawn, we should have a winterpeg gardenweb get together:)

• radley
    9 years ago

What a difference between the quality of Schlage and Baldwin (had Schlage in previous house). Baldwin is solid and will last as long as the door.

Have the same colour family as you pictured (an older bronze) and love it. Goes with everything.

When we moved in there were Schlage locks on the exterior doors so we decided to upgrade the doors to the outside and garage and went with Baldwin. Because it was hardware to the outside we went with the "Estate" quality in the Baldwin line. But for interior doors, I would have chose the medium quality.

Also, just a heads up....for doors that lock I would suggest avoiding the ones that lock automatically when the door is closed. Very easy to lock yourself out. Suggest using a key to lock the door when leaving.

Ours was already an oval theme so we kept that and are fine with it, but I think the square will also look super!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Re radley's comment above, we have a mortise lock on the front door and I have accidentally locked myself out a few times, but there's a small button inside the door you can push to deactivate the self lock. I don't like to use it though because I rely on the self locking function and don't want to forget and accidentally leave the the door unlocked.

I like the solid feel of the Baldwin too. The only thing I'd do differently is to get the distressed Venetian Bronze instead of the ORB living finish. The finish on the often used knobs has worn off more than the others.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks radley and juddgirl2. The Schlage locks we have now, they are very easy to get locked out, so we're careful now and usually bring a set of keys if we go outside, even in the back yard! Just in case! The door can be locked, we turn it from the inside and out we go and locked out we get! It's so silly.

We were going to get the Dark Bronze finish, looks more like a soft black/brown. Thanks for the advice on finish durability juddgirl2.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 7:41

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

A Winterpeg gardenweb get together sounds fun, although I only get into the city about once or twice a year!
    Enjoy this mild spell; sounds like we are headed back into the deep freeze later this week...

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear snow is coming. I'm enjoying our tropical weather for now!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, got the quote, $104 per door handle. Not great, not horrible. And that's with our Canadian dollar. I think US can be cheaper but the dollar is so bad right now.

But sigh, we have 10 doors. Plus the outdoor ones with keys. Plus the front entrance. Oh well, one at a time!

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I like the arch. I think the square is more modern.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

As I'm looking at the choices again I think I actually prefer the arch with the curved handled over the square with the straight handle, but I think it's really just personal preference. Both look nice.