Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicouris

Now I need a ceiling color

I posted a while ago regarding my paint choices in my DR (2-tone before pic below). I appreciate all of the helpful input, thank you! The majority opinion was - ditch the chair rail idea, brighten the room up.

{{gwi:2138030}}

Of the advice I received, I was most inclined toward a soft yellow, interesting because I don't normally like yellow. I had a spare can of BM Milkyway and decided to give that a try. So that's what I you see on the walls; the ceiling and opposing wall (the red in the foreground) need to be repainted.

{{gwi:2138031}}

I like Milkyway, though I wonder if I should try something just a bit more saturated. I'm not going to fixate on that now because the ceiling and red wall are interfering with my perception.

The advice I would like now is what about the ceiling? I want a darker contrasting color, something bold, but not so bold that it looks like a nursery school. I had envisioned a muted blue-green, maybe gray-blue-green.

I've spend hours toying with BMs online color tool, and I'm more confused than when I began. My favorite color so far is Kasbah! Am I nuts?

Kasbah
{{gwi:2138032}}

Also, I think I'd like to paint that red wall (which, around the corner, leads to a) with the ceiling color. What do you think?

The ceiling fixture is going, the carpet is going, so don't factor those in.

Comments (9)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love Kasbah (and Vintage Charm) but I think it's a bit dark for your ceiling, esp. in contrast with the walls (which are big improvement, btw, IMO).

How about a more subtle color, like BM Stormy Monday.

And I'd do the red wall in the Milky Way.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Also think that, if you LOVE the Kasbah, you need to go bolder with the wall color, maybe a tan/champagne color.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Will you be putting any fabrics in the room? Window treatment or anything? Before I went any further with color, I'd look to see what else was going in the room. Far easier to match paint to fabric than vice versa.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I really like the Kasbah (as well as the Stormy Monday). I have darker ceilings in my home which I love so I'll through my 2 cents in here. I personally like a very cohesive look and when I had only one ceiling painted in our home it really bothered me. I ended up painting 3 of our 4 ceilings dark. I personally (and this is solely a personal thing) prefer my wall colors lighter w/ my dark ceilings.

I tend to tie my ceiling colors in w/ fabrics & wall art.

This 1st one is an old pic (the TV is now off of the wall) of LR ceiling BM San Antonio Gray

DR id SW Gauntlet Gray

Old pic of Office is BM San Antonio Gray. Please excuse the awful arrangement over the FP - I just threw something up there to get it off of the floor)

Hmmm - I really do like that Stormy Monday......I want to paint our MBR ceiling a pale grey.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Eek, Foxes, that is gorgeous, the white walls with the gray ceiling. It must be beautiful at night with the chanties on. I do think you need upward/chandy lighting, though, if you're going to have a dark ceiling.

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

I'd go with painting the red wall the same as the others. I also prefer the Stormy Monday with Milkyway:)
    ( love The color Kasbah though)
    FoxesPad... Stunning! Love your rooms and the darker ceilings!

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Foxes, your ceilings are splendid and very much what I have in mind. The photos are quite helpful. Using BMs color tool with my photo above, Stormy Monday looked almost pastel. I tried San Antonio Gray, and that appeared even lighter. So that showed me that my results were misleading, and Stormy Monday seems a better choice than Kasbah. I am in love with Kasbah though, and I see it in some room in my future.

AnnieDeighnaugh, yes there will be window coverings, but I'll choose the fabric based on the paint colors. Maybe a batik? As to what else is going in the room - it's the color-ware collection. Quite frankly it's the wood furnishing and trim that have been throwing me off. I've always displayed the collection in rooms with white trim and painted furnishings.

Another consideration is that the DR opens to a kitchen that we are about to remodel. So I'm thinking of the paint in the DR as somewhat temporary since our kitchen scheme is in the embryonic stage.

Does anyone see green/blue for this ceiling or am I on the right track with gray/purple?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Why not consider Ceiling White for your room? This forum give its selction short shrift, but nothing bounces light into the room better than flat plain ceiling white paint on a ceiling.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would add crown moulding, esp, if you paint the ceiling a color other than white.