Return to the Home Decorating Forum
| Post a Follow-Up
Posted by lisa8192_2007
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 12:25
|I painted my bathroom shenandoah taupe and the cabinets are dark brown and I
just love it!! Now...my bedroom is in dire need of paint and I can't figure out what color would look good with the bathroom scheme. I want something really soothing, calming. I'm in the middle of a divorce, and need to make this bedroom my own. Also, I have a chocolate brown duvet cover and bed skirt that needs to stay. Any great ideas out there? You all helped me so much redoing my
office into a den. This board is wonderful. I will be posting pictures of the den next week. The before and after is just amazing! Thank you!
|My bedroom set is med cherry in color, the bedspread, shams, etc are a light blueish teal color / with taupe. Because the skirt, valences etc are the taupe color I did my walls to match the blue in the bedspread. The bathroom is a choc brown with white cab with a tile of white, tan, choc, and taupish colors. I have towels of the same blue as my bedroom wall with the tan&brown design. When I am finished I will try to post if I can figure it out. Maybe next week finished or not I will try.|
|lisa8192_2007, there are so many choices that work with taupe and chocolate brown- wonderful neutrals. For soothing and calming, a pretty aqua, steel blue, celery green or fresh pinks will work. Why not look around for decorative pillows and throw for your bed. You don't mention what sheets you have for your bed, sometimes a plain white makes for a very fresh and clean looking choice with chocolate. From the decorative pillows you can then pick a color for the wall and co-ordinating towels for the bathroom to pull the two rooms together. |
|Here's what I copied from these boards a year or so ago: |
- Pure white paint
- Dark stained wood
- Purple undertoned natural linens
- Stones that contain grey or blue
- Metals such as silver, chrome and stainless steel
- The companionship of grey or brown
- Dramatic accents of green, purple or red
- Clear glass
- Anything that contains yellow, such as buttery paint
- Golden woods, such as oak
- Yellow-hued linens
- Tan leathers
- Stones that contain beige
- Accessories that hint at yellow, such as dark cream porcelain.
Good luck with taupe (which I love) and also in your new and improved bedroom and your very much improved new life!
|A silvery sage would be calm & soothing. If you change your mind and want to be bold and daring BM's Grappa could work. |
Good luck with everything!
|thanks everyone! I've decided on a spa blue/green. A bit aqua, I guess. It looks beautiful with my brown duvet..I'm also thinking of painting one of the bedroom walls the dark brown. My question is the ceiling...would you leave it white..or paint it the same blue/green as the walls..or at half strength? Thanks!|
|Donna, do you have the rest of that loves/hates list? I really wish I had a copy of the whole shebang! thx!|
|Instead of light and bright, my master bedroom (and master bath) is painted Benjamin Moore Turtle Green. It is a very dark, dark green, and chocolates, taupes, black accents, rust accents, etc., all look wonderful in there. It's peaceful and reminds me of a forest and exactly what I was looking for. |
If you use their personalized color viewer you can play with colors.
Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore personal color viewer
|Amy: the list comes from Kelly Hoppen's book called Style.|
|Thanks bellaflora. Maybe I should look for it at the library. Do you have that book/find it useful?|
Post a Follow-Up
Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.
If you are a member, please log in.
If you aren't yet a member, join now!
Return to the Home Decorating Forum
- You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
- HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
- No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.