Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa8192_2007

What goes with taupe?

lisa8192_2007
16 years ago

I painted my bathroom shenandoah taupe and the cabinets are dark brown and I

just love it!! Now...my bedroom is in dire need of paint and I can't figure out what color would look good with the bathroom scheme. I want something really soothing, calming. I'm in the middle of a divorce, and need to make this bedroom my own. Also, I have a chocolate brown duvet cover and bed skirt that needs to stay. Any great ideas out there? You all helped me so much redoing my

office into a den. This board is wonderful. I will be posting pictures of the den next week. The before and after is just amazing! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

My bedroom set is med cherry in color, the bedspread, shams, etc are a light blueish teal color / with taupe. Because the skirt, valences etc are the taupe color I did my walls to match the blue in the bedspread. The bathroom is a choc brown with white cab with a tile of white, tan, choc, and taupish colors. I have towels of the same blue as my bedroom wall with the tan&brown design. When I am finished I will try to post if I can figure it out. Maybe next week finished or not I will try.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

lisa8192_2007, there are so many choices that work with taupe and chocolate brown- wonderful neutrals. For soothing and calming, a pretty aqua, steel blue, celery green or fresh pinks will work. Why not look around for decorative pillows and throw for your bed. You don't mention what sheets you have for your bed, sometimes a plain white makes for a very fresh and clean looking choice with chocolate. From the decorative pillows you can then pick a color for the wall and co-ordinating towels for the bathroom to pull the two rooms together.

Sky

• magsroses
    16 years ago

A silvery sage would be calm & soothing. If you change your mind and want to be bold and daring BM's Grappa could work.

Good luck with everything!

• lisa8192_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks everyone! I've decided on a spa blue/green. A bit aqua, I guess. It looks beautiful with my brown duvet..I'm also thinking of painting one of the bedroom walls the dark brown. My question is the ceiling...would you leave it white..or paint it the same blue/green as the walls..or at half strength? Thanks!

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Donna, do you have the rest of that loves/hates list? I really wish I had a copy of the whole shebang! thx!

• marciaintexas
    16 years ago

Instead of light and bright, my master bedroom (and master bath) is painted Benjamin Moore Turtle Green. It is a very dark, dark green, and chocolates, taupes, black accents, rust accents, etc., all look wonderful in there. It's peaceful and reminds me of a forest and exactly what I was looking for.

If you use their personalized color viewer you can play with colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore personal color viewer

• bellaflora
    16 years ago

Amy: the list comes from Kelly Hoppen's book called Style.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Thanks bellaflora. Maybe I should look for it at the library. Do you have that book/find it useful?