Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow_house

vintage kitchen - color distribution

bungalow_house
10 years ago

We are doing a small kitchen remodel in a 1930 house. I know I want the kitchen to be green and white, but I can't decide: green cabinets/white walls or white cabinets/green walls?

Here are two examples. I like them both, but I like the green cabinets best and I don't know how much of that is the difference in lighting and other decor.

WWYD?

Also, if I google vintage green kitchen, I see lots of images and most seem to have white or wood countertops. We originally wanted soapstone. If you have suggestions on counter color aesthetics also, I would love to hear those too. The floor is medium brownish oak.

Comments (33)

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

other photo

• teacats
    10 years ago

White cabinets, green walls and the darker soapstone counters ..... plus jadeite accessories and some vintage posters to pull it all together ....

Easier to change the color on the walls -- and the color of the accessories ....

• Fori
    10 years ago

Here's one I like (and I do personally prefer the white cabs/green walls, partly for resale and partly because I just DO):

Here is a link that might be useful: JGarner's kitchen on the FKB

• peony4
    10 years ago

I like teacats' suggestions, and agree that, in the long run, green walls and accessories are much easier to change than green cabinets, should you want a change from green. Soapstone, too, is as neutral as wood or white countertops, so you would be fine with those.

Saying that, though... how often do you like to change your decor? How long have you dreamed of a green and white kitchen? If your vision has been long-standing, and your heart has been set on this for a number of years, then green cabinets with white walls would be just as appropriate in your kitchen.

Your 2 photos are very different in their styles, so perhaps determine the style you want first, and then the materials and color will go from there.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

The first style makes me drool, and I have a thing for black and white (and have had for as many years as I can recall), so I would opt for white cabinets, soapstone countertops and green walls. That said, it's not my house, so you need to do what works for you. I agree with peony4 that the styles of the two kitchens are very different. To me the first one reads very crisp and vintage. The second one reads more rustic, softly colored and a little washed out.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

My parents' house was built in 1923, and my mom painted our kitchen cabinets green. We also had wallpaper and white appliances including a 36" stove.

But I love the look of green, black, and white, however it works out.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Definitely white cabs and green walls/accessories. You may tire of green in a few years....way easier to paint walls than cabinets.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I painted my walls a creamy white and also two unfitted cupboards and the sink base, thinking that eventually I'd paint the cupboards green to match the one in the pantry. So far, I haven't because the small kitchen feels so bright and cheerful to me at this time. Also painting the beadboard walls green I thought would make the room too dark. Now I'm thinking of going back to at least the green cupboards idea after seeing the photos.

My BFF bought an older home and her dream kitchen is like above - green walls and cupboards with some other elements painted yellow. It will be awhile before any of her remodeling gets underway tho.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I love the green with soapstone and had many tear sheets of that combo over the years. We went with white counters instead. Here's a link to our kitchen reveal. This year I'm gonna do the curtains !

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Kitchen Reveal

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should mention that there are only 3 cabinets: a drawer unit, sink base, and dishwasher panel. It might actually be easier to repaint the cabinets if someone wanted to change the green. Due to the wall space-to-cabinet ratio, it seems to me the green cabinets will actually be more subtle...

This post was edited by bungalow_house on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 15:20

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I used to have the exact same BS and counter combination in my 1937 kitchen! With black and white floors, as well and mint green paint in the layers of history on the walls. (BTW, the black and white checkerboard is a nightmare to keep clean. Anything dark shows on the white and anything light shows up on the black. You basically keep a broom and scrub sponge out at all times)

If you really want green cabinets and it is your forever home, go for it. Otherwise, I would go with the white cabs (which I also prefer)

Here's an example of the green:

[Craftsman Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2116) by Seattle General Contractors S2 Builders

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

In gramma's kitchen, the frames were white and the doors apple green...

• sas95
    10 years ago

If you like the green cabinets best, do the green cabinets. I wouldn't necessarily listen to those who say they would do white because you might tire of green, because obviously they are not people who like green cabinets best.

We don't have a vintage kitchen, but did a combination of cream and green cabinets-- mostly green. I know I won't tire of the green, because I like and wanted green cabinets and they go with our style of home and the decor in the rest of the house. I plan on living in our house for a long time, but if we have to sell earlier for some reason I don't think the green cabinets will affect resale because the kitchen goes well with the house. Please don't be afraid to go with your instincts, whatever they are. If you go with what you like, you are less likely to tire of things later.

• ldp777
    10 years ago

In my kitchen I painted the bottom cupboards green and top ones off white. walls pale sage colour.

• ldp777
    10 years ago

Wall colour, and how I gave my stove a vintage feel.

• prairiemom61
    10 years ago

This is a photo of a 1920's house with original kitchen. Our DD and SIL bought it to flip. The amazing woodwork and high ceilings throughout the house were great, but the bright green cabs were a bit much. SIL wanted to tear out the kitchen but we begged him to keep it. They painted them white and put a pretty yellow on the walls. They worked in a dishwasher in a side cabinet. It sold within three weeks, the buyers loved the vintage cabinets, complete with little "lipstick" mirror and flour bins.
    I'll have to post the pics separately, haven't figured out how to post more than one from iPad.

• prairiemom61
    10 years ago

Another view before

• prairiemom61
    10 years ago

After

• prairiemom61
    10 years ago

Another after

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    10 years ago

I can't respond to the point that you might get tired of green cabinets in several years -- mine have only been painted a color (yellow) for about a year. But I do want to weigh in to encourage you to do what your gut is telling you. I don't know you, but I am reading between the lines of your post that you really want to paint them green but are worried about taking the leap. I say, don't be. I am happy every day when I look at my yellow cabinets and white counters. Color makes me happy. Buttercream yellow cabinets in particular make me happy (and in your case, it may be green). I personally would not have been happy with white cabinets. I have seen many beautiful kitchens with white cabinets, and they are just not for me, just as my yellow cabinets would not be for a lot of people. So to echo what some others have said, do what you like.

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments, links, and photos. They are very helpful. I would love to have something other than the now-ubiquitous wood floor/white cabinet/dark counter/white subway tile backsplash kitchen, but right now I am leaning toward that, mostly because there are more walls than cabinets and I wonder if the white walls would be too bland. I don't have the decorating talent to make white walls interesting. Green cabinets AND green walls would probably be too much. Decisions....the bane of my Libra existence.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

I love the kitchen gooster posted. I too love green. I repainted my cabinets which were hunter green a creamy white. While I like my white cabinets, I love the color gooster posted more. It's just warm looking!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

That first picture looks an awful lot like my grandmother's kitchen, the cabinets, the floors and even the red industrial step seat. She had a red ceiling which was near the same color as the red step-seat that I sat on while she cooked the best homemade biscuits and tomato gravy I ever ate.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

bungalow_house: I replied to the other thread as well... but if you really like green, go for it! You can have a lot of help here in getting the rest of the room in balance. White walls do not have to be bland, but rather a respite from the other stars in the kitchen.

You don't have to make your walls white, either. You could go a pale yellow like the example I posted above or even a pale grey-green.

I see you like Guilford Green, which was one of my finalists in my NE/NW facing kitchen. Be sure to paint a large spot on the wall -- it tends to get darker IRL. It would be perfect as a cabinet but you definitely would consider a lighter shade for the walls. For a very light wall (say, with green cabinets), look at BM Spa. It looks like a light grey in the paint bottle but once it is on the wall it turns into a very light green with grey. It is in the Affinity sample pots that they have at your BM dealer.

• sas95
    10 years ago

We did light green walls with our green cabinets and it worked out nicely.

link to my kitchen reveal thread

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I love the first photo too much. Wish my kitchen looked like it. Am a green person, there are so many options for you to find your color. Have fun with this and enjoy the transformation.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Make this kitchen into one that my grandmother, my "big momma" would have, and prepare comfort foods. Paint the ceiling (and your lives) red!!

• gass25
    10 years ago

hi here you can find many vintage and rustic utensils of olive wood

Here is a link that might be useful: olive wood craft

• patricianat
    10 years ago

gass25, you just signed up. Spamming from Tunisia, huh?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

gass25, you just signed up. Spamming from Tunisia, huh?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Prairemom, my mother's cabinets were that color green. Seeing them warms my heart. Like this house, the color worked great.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Somehow I find your second photo much more soothing. Maybe painting the cabs a creamy white and the walls the same color as the cabs in the second photo. Maybe it is just me but I prefer the toned down green of the cabs in the second photo to the jarring green in the first photo. Just my opinion though.

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the input, everyone. I think I am going to stick with the white cabinets, green walls, and soapstone counter -- very much like jgarner53's linked above. Hopefully someday years from now my boys will fondly remember it! :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022