Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlg421

Faux Painting Out Dated?

dlg421
14 years ago

I would like to get opinions from everyone if they consider faux painting to be out of style or not. I am contemplating a project, but don't want to do it if it's not generally accepted any more.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (34)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Well if it is outdated then our kitchen, sunroom and half bath have out dated walls. Personally, I don't care. We like them and they still look great.
    What treatment were you thinking of using?

• sweeby
    14 years ago

In terms of a design trend's lifespan, I would agree that it has already peaked --
    But that said, in some places, it looks fabulous and I'd still do it.
    In others, it was never optimal...

• stu2900
    14 years ago

I think it depends on the treatment. I have a glazing treatment in my living room that I absolutely love and don't see myself tiring of it any time soon. On the other hand I have a rag rolling treatment in the kitchen that I just can't wait to get rid of.

• dlg421
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since I've never done it before, I wanted to start simple with sponging in a bathroom.

• User
    14 years ago

Just like wallpaper never went completely out of style, I dont think faux painting will either.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

I think it depends on the application that you intend to use and the skill with which it is applied. how is that for an evasive answer? Sponging that was so popular is a little trendy now and like all trendy things is becoming out of date. That doesn't mean that all faux painting is or trendy. I've seen pictures of a linen-look done with paint and a glaze that is timeless.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Sponging, unless it is done very subtle (only one color,) can look outdated IMHO.

Here is a photo of Faux stripes in the Master bath from my previous home. Very easy to do. It took me about three days to do the entire bathroom. I think stripes never go out of style.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I can't believe that garish two-toned sponging ever took off as a design trend. I always hated that splotchy look. Now then, faux painting for a subtle aged look, or a watercolor look, or even to achieve an illusion of fabric, can look very nice in a home.

• naptimerocks
    14 years ago

newhomebuilder - I love the stripes in your bathroom! I was considering doing the same thing to our master once the renovation is complete and I think your picture made up my mind! :-) What colors did you use? They are beautiful!

I agree that certain faux finishes will not go out of style. I like to use a faux finish to make my walls look like fabric or "aged" - usually over a stencil made to look like wallpaper.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Subtle sponging of like colors or even flat and eggshell of the same color is a pretty classic faux treatment. I don't think the originators ever intended the terra cotta/black/metallic gold on cream of a nearby pizza place.

Subtlety is key.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Well, I'll got out on a limb and post a faux method I did in bath #2, which is DH's. How many years ago...12? I put a lot of work in it, but it was fun. It's the only room in the house I've not repainted. Felt like changing it once, he didn't want me to, now I'm not in the mood anymore. Why he didn't want me to is beyond me, maybe he likes it that way. Cuz he takes zero interest in anything else I paint around here.

It's done with paint of same color family; medium taupe, taupe + cream, and cream. Applied with a woolie and white 'wisps' were done by flicking a wool duster w/tip dipped in cream paint.

I'm not crazy about those towel bars anymore. But I'm not in the mood to change those either. I think I am in a rut.
    Photos are from old camera, it's brighter than that.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

moonshasow - That's what I was recommending the OP do. Your walls are very subtle and beautiful. I can see why your DH wouldn't want to change. As dilly said, it's the garish multi-colored sponge painting that looks so dated.

naptimerocks - I started out with pure white satin walls, and then painted the stripes in an eggshell khaki color - an old Sherwin Williams color that we loved and used in our adjoining bedroom. The satin paint helped clean up mistakes, and also allowed the painters tape easier to remove.

Khaki Shade

Another pic of bathroom

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I don't think the originators ever intended the terra cotta/black/metallic gold on cream of a nearby pizza place.

ROTFL! Yeah, probably a safe bet that's not what they had in mind. :D

• wolfgang80
    14 years ago

I wouldn't faux a wall for resale, because I think it turns off a lot of people. But if you like it and aren't tired of the look, then go for it.
    Is it outdated? Well, when I come across fauxed walls at open houses and such, they are usually part of an overall outdated room, so the faux looks dated as well.

• lsst
    14 years ago

I really like the faux finish with stencils that look like Damask wall paper.
    Someone here a while back did her dining room and it was gorgeous.
    I remember she did just one wall as it was labor intensive.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Thanks nhb, that's sweet of you. ;)

(Hey, if it's not too much trouble, would you still have that SW khaki color name or formula kicking around? It's a really appealing color. I'm on the prowl for some khakis right now for a different house. Khakis can be so tricky, but that one looks like a very good contender.)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Since Martha Stewart came along and all the numbers/colors changed, SW quit making the color. The last time we used it, they were able to make it up for us using the old formula. For our present home, we found one that was almost an exact match. It is called Traditional Tan by ICI.

• debbimc
    14 years ago

Newhomebuilder? how wide are your stripes? I have wanted to do this bath #2 for ages but I am scared of the work!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Thanks, nhb! I will look for it next time I'm out!
    Sheesh, forgot to say how pretty your br and bath are, always enjoy seeing pics of your home. (Having a lot of mentalpause moments lately. :o )

• scanmike
    14 years ago

NHB,

Every time I see photos of your home I saw "I want that"! Your bedroom and bath and so pretty. ALso, love that color. Too bad they don't have it anymore.

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I have the upper part of one wall (wainscoting on the bottom) in my foyer that has a rag off technique that we love. Everyone likes it and thinks it's wall paper. They always have to touch it for some reason. I don't have a recent picture since we added the wainscoting or I'd post one.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Speaking as a decorative painter from a previous life ;-) it's the execution that will separate the good from the bad and good sponging is not easily done by a beginner. The edges and corners will be your biggest challenge.

My advice is to find a closet that is easily emptied and paint it in your desired finish and colors. That way you have a chance to practice your taping, edging the ceiling line and corners. You can also play with technique and adjust color proportions as you go. If you love it, you now have some experience but if you hate it you can either paint it out easily or just leave it as a reminder of what NOT to do and throw everything back in the closet as is.

• blondepegasus
    14 years ago

I had my family room walls professionally done 2 years ago. I still love it, but realize it's not everybody's taste. We do get raves from visitors over it. It's actually more subtle than it comes across in the photo.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

debbimc - Since we do not live in that house anymore, I cannot measure, but I believe they were around 10' wide. That was a big room, so the bigger, the wider you want your stripes.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

I also did the stripes in a lighter and darker linen in my former bathroom. It came out good, but was a lot of work to tape and then working in a small space, especially around the sink and toilet.

We have a "sandstone" texture paint (Lowe's Valspar) in our hall bath now. But we have a beach theme, and it works. We did put a coat of polyurethane over it. The walls were so irregular from years of paint and wallpaper, but we did not have enough money to gut it, so this is a good alternative.

• kcooke65
    8 years ago

I Painted my masterbathroom OCEAN BLUE with silver swirls like waves to get

a spa feel and it does it for me so do what is good for you.

• Kathy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I painted my dining room in stripes of different sizes. My painter who was helping me put the Painting tape on, couldn't believe the first one was 12 inches and the next one was 8 inches and the third one was 10 inches etc. but he finally got into it. It was a knock out when it was finished. I have never seen one as attractive as it was but we moved and it was probably painted over. It was just slightly different shades of the same color. Beautiful. I'm thinking of doing one wall of my dining room the same way. What do you think?

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

We JUST finished painting our master and

have tone on tone stripes. Glossy/flat. We LOVE IT!! We removed 1980's floral wall paper so possibly flat white would be LOVED also!

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Well, I'm getting kinda immune to the no comment/negative comments around here so what the heck! We live in Texas and our home reflects that. This bold faux painting effect was more popular several to a few years ago. I think it's fading out now but we still love it and aren't concerned with resell. We built this house 34 years ago when we were 21 and 22 and plan to stay here till we die. Our den has a faux finish as well but not this bold. Our dining room has the same texture (Spanish Knife) but no faux finish. This wasn't supposed to be as bold. The painter started behind the toilet area, did a patch and asked me how I liked it. I liked it! When he called me in to look at it, I was a bit shocked. He got a little more heavy handed with the glaze. I didn't say anything as I DO like it, it's just a little heavier than we anticipate. It's rustic and this bathroom (is supposed to have) an elegant-ish rustic look. In 2010 when this post started, this look was still going strong (in Texas).

• Anne
    8 years ago

I think it depends on the faux treatment. I used to paint murals for little country stores, kids bedrooms etc and I will fess up to doing sponge painting for my Mother. I had many murals (Tuscan scenes) in one of my homes. I only stopped because subsequent homes have been older and not open enough for that. I would never sponge paint again but i do have glazing on the walls of my 1780's with additions farmhouse.

• La Adams
    2 years ago

Should I repaint to solid color instead of faux for resale?

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I think your buyers would appreciate a nice neutral color until they decide what color they will paint.