Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Ellen's design challenge

violetwest
9 years ago

You guys watching this? Pretty interesting, except I loathe the competition/elimination format.

I really liked the MCM acrylic cabinet from the first ep the best, although it lost out to a campaign desk.

If they are going to eliminate someone, I hope they eliminate that whiny lady who can't get along with her carpenter soon.

Comments (14)

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Yup. Kind of nice to see a show on furniture design, for a change.

I thought the whiny lady should have been eliminated first. I did approve of the campaign desk being the winner, though, because it was so creative and well executed.

I don't mind the competition format, but I get a little weary of how much focus is placed on (trumped up?) emotional angst; I'd be just fine if they could focus more on the designs and the thought behind them.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I thought both the campaign desk and cabinet were by far the best, but felt the overall brilliance and execution of the cab was fantastic. I think the PIA whiner is only being kept on for the drama interest that she creates. Sadly.

• Delilah66
    9 years ago

Was looking forward to the show, but didn't realize it was furniture design. Tuned in, then turned off.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I was drawn to the show because it was furniture design. However, I agree about not liking the elimination format, especially with so few designers. I would much prefer if they all stayed, then were judged on the body of their work. Having to go online to see the judge evaluations was strange, as that is usually one of the most interesting sections of these types of shows. I might just go online and watch that in the future, and not bother with the rest of the episode.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and you know Ellen "hand picked" the competitors, but you can tell they are picked for diversified "types." I

I think the first round loser partially lost because he presented himself less well on screen, and not for any particular failure of his piece. After all, they let the "international flair" guy stay, even though he was told his piece was a "fail."

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you guys still watching this? Down to three. Judge last night did not like any of the pieces (couches). They said there was no clear winner, but I think Gaspar's couch should have won--it fit in best with the space and I loved the curved arms.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

When the judge said "we're looking at your entire body of work to determine who goes home this week" I told my husband that was how they were going to justify keeping Tim, and that Carley would be the one to get the boot. I was right.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah, but I agree she was the weakest one, although I really liked her couch. It didn't fit in well with the room, though.

• PRO
    4Heidesign
    9 years ago

I loved Carley’s couch and would have preferred it in a different color/pattern, yet was disappointed that the judges didn’t seem to value it. They acknowledged how comfortable it was, and it appealed much more to me than the odd shapes of the young female designer, (can’t remember her name), which has been scoring so highly throughout. Glad to see Ms. Whiney gone, her personality rubbed me wrong, but think they all have great talents. Interesting to see something different for a change, and I’m amazed at how quickly these designers have been able to think up their designs.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

I agree jakabedy! I knew they were trying to keep him even though he had a failure of a sofa. He even kept admitting it throughout the show. I have watched most of the episodes but really like the young female designer because she seems to execute pretty well. Gaspar is ok but lacks a flair and self-confidence. I really liked Carley and she seems to always work well with the fabricators and carpenters. All of them seemed to miss the details of the room in some way or another last night, whether it was the existing scale, colors and style they should work with, or whatever. I did like their ideas but they missed the mark in overall execution. Gaspar came closest in some ways but was overall blah.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tim blew it with the height of the sofa but his other designs were really first class. I even liked the bar the judges panned for being too "man cave." Not every piece of furniture will appeal to everyone or be right for every space.

• redcurlsfl
    9 years ago

I have a big issue in them calling it "ELLEN's" Design Challenge. I like the show okay and like Ellen a lot. I just think it a bit weird that Ellen really only puts in a cameo appearance now and then. Why not just Design Challenge?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

star power = more viewers. plus, it was (ostensibly) her concept in the first place, and she hand picked the contestants and judges. Along with Wayfair, I presume.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

The only episode I have seen is actually the last half or so of the dining table one. I too am very tired of the elimination format. It's the canned formula now, but would it really hurt or cause anyone to lose interest if we got to see more creativity?