Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Outlet in coat closet-what?

violetwest
9 years ago

I noticed today there's an electrical outlet halfway up the wall inside my entryway coat closet. I mean it's cool-- I could put a light in there or something but I cannot suss out the reason for putting it there.

It doesn't seem practical to plug in a vacuum cleaner for instance. When there are plenty of outlets on nearby walls. None of my other closets have them. Why couldn't they have put unexpected, additional outlets in the bedroom where I need them.

Comments (36)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Upon reflection, maybe for a security system?

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

What's the "blank" for? I bet they had something like a security system in there before you unless this is a new home. I also like the idea of a rechargeable vacuum.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I put outlets in all my closets when I renovate, for rechargeable things I don't want sitting out on counters and such.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

I just placed an outlet placed in a hall closet. I have a small shelf and that is where my small camera, large flashlight, and hand vac with chargers live.

I believe what others have surmised about a security system is the original intent.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, it's a brand new home all "pre-wired" for a security system. All the houses in this new subdivision are. Can I go on a rant here about how presumptious that is, and how scammy and hard sell the "security" companies are?

I can see where it might be useful for charging, etc. Except I almost never use my front door closet, so not convenient. I could absolutely use such a thing elsewhere, though, like my utility area which is where I actually do come in, which has no outlets at all. (shakes head)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

"all "pre-wired" for a security system. All the houses in this new subdivision are. Can I go on a rant here about how presumptious that is"

Well, it's relatively cheap and easy to do when the walls are open, and then it's all hidden away, too. Better to have it buried for someone that wants it than to have to add it.

My current house had a security system added at some point. (The neighborhood a bit dangerous, and at least one of the previous owners was not at home for long periods of time). There are weird holes drilled everywhere and thousands of feet of wiring all over the place and stapled around door and window trim and such. Its a mess. I am slowly getting rid of it all.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Okay... yes... but what is that blank electrical cover directly above the outlet? That's the real mystery.

• chijim
    9 years ago

Have to say, I give the builder props for having the forethought to add the hardwiring for a security system.

• chijim
    9 years ago

Okay... yes... but what is that blank electrical cover directly above the outlet? That's the real mystery.

Phone and.or cable lines?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

probably cable for video surveillance.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Palimpsest - no I get it about the prewiring. Just a pet peeve of mine.

How hard is it to add additional outlets where you need them?

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I think that is a strange place for a plug in but in two different houses we have lived in, I had my husband put a plug in about 3 foot up the wall (where a switch would be) in the hall and near my desk. It was so nice not to have to bend over for plugging in my vacuum or desk lamp. I wish we had one in this house....hum....idea???

• Fori
    9 years ago

Never look a gift outlet in the mou...oh sorry...I have old home syndrome. :)

It's a shame they didn't stick them in other places where you'd actually use them!

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Violet - it is often very easy to add an outlet. For example, the home we just bought has an open plan to the kitchen. I have NO idea how they lived without a few floor outlets in the great room. We were able to use basement wiring to get in floor outlets. We also have closets with outlets on the opposite wall - that is super easy to bring plugs thru the wall to the opposite side. Of course, you have to be conscious of the electric load. For us, we took from areas that we don't use.

It is also easy to convert a light switch to a light/outlet combo (please turn the power off before doing anything !!!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1a4e8BbqU4

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

When an electrician makes a mistake, he can't just tie wires together and drywall over it. If the wires are coming down from the ceiling and were too short to get the duplex receptacle at the right height, he would have to set a connection box with a blank cover, then extend the wires to the duplex at the right height.

That's a heckofalot easier than running new wires from the panel.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 16:32

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Our house came with an outlet about 7' up on an 8' wall in my sewing room. At the time it was the one of only two three-prong outlet in the house so we left it there!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You could use it for a rechargeable flashlight.

But I'm wondering about proximity to the TV/family room. Sometimes people want to put the electronic boxes in a closet where they don't have to see them and then use the radio frequency box to control them...perhaps cable is what the blank above is for.

The outlet up on the wall that high is probably to plug in a wall clock...

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

We are going to have one in our coat closet for the wireless router because it's centrally located.

• Em11
    9 years ago

I had outlets put in each of the closets when I built my house, especially if there are shelves in the closets. Two of my closets have four outlets. It's where we charge the power tools, flashlights, and there's a shredder in there as well. They've come in handy in the other closets as well. When my husband converted my basic walk-in closet to a dressing room and vanity for me last year, the outlet came in handy for putting a lighted mirror there.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I really like the suggestions of charging stations & routers in closets. Makes me want outlets in our closets now.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I had one in my old pantry cabinet. Only two words came to mind: wine fridge. I might be stupid enough to put one in the coat closet too! Okay, a rechargeable flashlight and vacuum makes more sense.....

A security guy came to our door recently to give us free equipment. I told home to pound dirt.
    Him: "You mean you don't want free equipment?"
    Me: "Correct. I don't want free equipment. Do you not understand?"
    Him:"But.."
    Me:"Bye"

As someone who works in sales, I have had those days.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Take the blank cover off and see what's behind it.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Maybe to plug in a rechargeable device? My coat closet had a water treatment system when I moved in (since trashed).

My security service is all wireless. Are they still wiring homes for security?

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Last week we added a new outlet in our master br closet, huge walk in. We added a desk and cabinet for dh to use as an office. But it's a big 2 room ish deal.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

I suspect as others that your outlet was for a security system, but has many potential uses. Like someone else said, don't fret over an extra outlet. I'd use it for a rechargeable item, if I didn't need a security system.

Our builder had the foresight to put an outlet outside just under the porch eaves for Christmas lighting--says he does it for all his houses. The switch for it is in the front closet.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Some areas have code requirements for electrical connected fire and CO detectors. Don't know if occupancy written off goes along with this. My guess is someone started something and decided not to finish. But if the covered outlet is for a light, why leave the outlets and not add a light? Or is there already one?

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

We use ours for our router.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I had one put into our former coat closet when we had the kitchen gutted and redone. I was converting that closet into a utility closet for my broom, vacuum, etc. and wanted the convenience to recharge my electric broom, etc.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I'd be happy for an extra outlet regardless of where it was. I too had the thought pampliset suggested. I hate to see everything out on counters, charging out of sight. I like an uncluttered look, and I like for everything I am taking out the door to be in one spot. I'd kill for that outlet. I'm making a mental note for my next home (I'm renting after losing my home during a flood. I may just keep renting). Looks fantastic to me. To each their own :)

How hard is it to get an additional outlet installed? Bwaahhaa! I am laughing my rear off. Electricians are so sought after, it's almost impossible to get them to your home here. If you don't have that where you live, tell your electricians I know where they can boatloads of cash. I only get one when I really need one because my oldest is a master electrician who will help when I've exhausted all other avenues.

• Lars
    9 years ago

That's not nearly as strange as what was in the house where I grew up. My grandfather and great grandfather built the house in 1932 and did the wiring themselves, which was something of a novelty back then in rural central Texas. They had to have their own generator for electricity, as they were not on the grid. Anyway, their wiring was pretty screwy, and they put a light switch in one of the bedroom closets. Therefore, if you got up in the middle of the night and found yourself lost in the closet (which happened to my brother who sleep-walked), you could turn the bedroom light on from inside the closet. That didn't help much if the closet door was closed. That bedroom also had a window to the bathroom, and so my mother put curtains on both sides of it. Later she closed the bedroom side of the window and put shelves on the bathroom side. The bedroom also had a total of five doors (including the closet door) - one to a central hall, two to the other bedrooms, and one to the outside with a large porch. A lot of people would think that it was the main door to the house and knock on that door instead of the front or back door. There was also a switch in the main bedroom that would turn off the outlets to the middle bedroom.

Lars

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

In our 2007 remodel, I had DH put an outlet in the larger of my two bathroom closets. I store an electric broom vac in there and also my radio sits on a shelf in that closet. Also did the outlet behind one of the bathroom vanity cabinets (learned about that here). My hair dryer is plugged in and not on the counter.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

An outlet in the closet - I'd use it for a boot dryer (but not everyone has 6 months of winter).

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

We put one on the coat closet when we remodeled. It's currently used more as a uniform closet for DH and he can use the outlet for his equipment with rechargeable batteries. We also put one in the larger utility/cleaning closet for the rechargeable handheld vacuum, and one in the large linen closet too just in case because that's where we store the ironing board and iron.

My DH likes to put outlets wherever he can :) I was actually just looking at the old coat closet from before the addition, which is now used as a stationary/school closet (i.e., unorganized mess!), and was thinking it would be so nice to have an outlet there so we could use it as a command center with a phone, camera, and IPad charging station. Those are all usually charging on the kitchen counter and I'm tired of the clutter!

• Steve Bingham
    5 years ago

I would use the plug for ironing.

Maybe a narrow shelf above the plug for charging phone.

• Steve Bingham
    5 years ago

I'm on the computer with my husband so the comment about ironing is my comment.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource