Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Neat Brooklyn brownstone

rockybird
9 years ago

I found this cool home while surfing the net. I like the colors, furniture and glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brownstone

Comments (17)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like it a lot.

I have one nit-pick about the front façade. They should have put full double hung windows on the first floor, not a shorter window topped by a fixed panel. That was to save on budget, and think that's the wrong place to do it.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Did they use a triple-hung window?

That's not unusual, it's easier to open than a 4-foot double-hung half, and you can leave the bottom one down to keep the kids and pets in.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am pretty sure the current one is a fixed panel over a double hung. People do that a lot around here and depending upon the neighborhood, they sometimes have to re-replace them with the proper configuration of window.

The house next door to the one in question has a full double hung.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I cringed when I saw what they did with an historical brownstone.
    Not my cup o' tea.

This post was edited by zorroslw on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 16:08

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's really possible that there was very little left of the original fabric that wasn't severely compromised.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Kind of off topic, but I just bought a Peruvian blanket on vacation and it looks a lot like the textiles she used.

I am feeling every hip and "in" right now. : )

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Thank goodness for furnishings that are bright and colorful.

The home's grey/brown colors are awful IMO.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I don't like all of it, but I love the master bedroom colors and love love the family room!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I dislike it yet I admire the use of color.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's interesting to see the different takes on it. My favorite is the kitchen and all the glass. It would be so fun to live in NYC and have the privacy of the yard in the back, but step out the front into the city.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I saw multiple elements where I wanted to lift the ideas for my own home. And some others I wish could be incorporated! But I am viewing it from an interior design perspective, not from a Brooklyn brownstone look-what-they-did. Although I am not a fan of the dining room at all, I made a rare bookmark of the link for future design planning. Thanks for sharing the link rockybird.

• selcier
    9 years ago

I agree about not thinking about it as a brownstone - that just makes me sad to think about everything that is missing.

But the color is refreshing!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I am in love with the use of color. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

For some reason the arrow looking things over the bed and the spiky things hanging down in the stairwell made me uncomfortable, like in a bad Feng Shui kind of way. Not that I really know what that is, but that is what I imagine it to be like. :)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Looks like a fun house. I have been admiring the McCobb chairs for a while now, but never would have the guts to paint them blue.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boopadaboo - I thought the same thing! I dont like those parts of the design.

Oaktown - I agree - I wouldnt have the guts to paint them blue.

• catkin
    9 years ago

Amazing what a little hot pink and orange will do for a room. I put a smallish (12 x 12) hot pink pillow on the bed in my spare room (that has mostly earthy, warm, neutral pillows/colors) and now the entire *greige* room is transformed! I find myself staring in there as I walk by LOL.

I'll now be looking for more brightly colored accents as I shop!

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I like it. I think the use of paint is very interesting (especially in the bedroom, where they used the gray paint to line up with the headboard, over the ceiling, and down the other wall.) It makes the window look like it's built into an alcove in the photo, but it's all one plane, differentiated by paint.

In the family room, that bold angled gray line makes the seating area seem cozy and sheltered (to me.)

I wish I could walk through the rooms in person to see how I like the two tone paint effect, because sometimes photos can be misleading, but it I think I'd like it.

I wouldn't have been able to paint the McCobb chairs either, but I do like how they used color in the house. I've enjoyed looking at this!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm