Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy1963_gw

Flooring help, and other questions....

Sandy1963
10 years ago

We're in the process of replacing the floor in our dining room right now. We had to rip out the 10 year old carpet due to our aging dog ruining it, the poor dog has since passed, so now it's time to do something in here.

The picture shows samples of engineered hardwood, from L to R, the samples are Bamboo, Red Oak, Hickory, and Maple. I'm leaning toward the Maple(of course, it's the most expensive one, lol !).

My question(s) I have are; what would you pick, and why? Also, what would you do with the wooden bead board?

I'm not sure if I want to paint it, or try to refinish it(maybe stain it darker), I'm just not sure what to do in here at this point....it's funny that I have no problem in any other room of this house, but I'm at a loss in here.....help! please?

Comments (7)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The Bamboo because it is a sustainable product and very good for flooring because it wears well, and I would paint the bead board only because it appears to clash with any of the floor samples.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 16:10

• dedtired
    10 years ago

First decide what you are going to do with bead board. I vote (twice) for painting it. Then choose whatever appeals to you for the floor. I like the maple. Once you have a beautiful new wood floor installed that bead board is going to look very shabby.

Refinishing the bead board as a DIY project will be a bear. Either paint it or rip it out.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

What do you have in the adjacent rooms?

• Sandy1963
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the view from the kitchen, and the link brings you to the flooring we'll be putting in the kitchen. Right now I know the walls definitely need to be painted, the front wall continues into the living room, with no breaks, only the front door separating the two rooms, so the wall color is the same in two rooms. Cup of Cocoa by Behr, we'll probably just repaint that the same, as we do like the color.

I guess for now, there will be some sort of transition strip separating the dining room from the living room flooring which is an off-white Berber carpeting. That stays for now until we can afford to replace that too.

I do know that the bead board is very shabby looking, but I don't want to tear it out either at this point. I'm just wondering if I should try a gel stain on it, or paint it, and if so, what color should I go for?

No link....I'll try again later for the kitchen flooring pic!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen floor

This post was edited by Sandy1963 on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 14:43

• Sandy1963
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View from the kitchen

• Sandy1963
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The kitchen floor now is the whitish one, we will be extending the darker one from the hallway into the kitchen. The dining room is to the right in this picture.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

First on the left to close to the breadboard, Second on the left to me doesn't blend. One small sample of the hickory might not be enough to give a fair opinion next to the busy kitchen tile. Maple would be my choice.