Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumncolor5

Guest Bedroom--Please Help Me Design

autumncolor5
9 years ago

I am starting with an empty room except for beige wall to wall carpet and woodwork which is pine but stained a golden oak (early 90's home). Those two thing aren't changing.

The room is 13x13, has an 8' ceiling. One wall has a window which measures 74" W X 62" H. There is a of of wall space.

My style is traditional/transitional.

The room currently is a messy storage room so I'm not posting pictures.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this room but I do want it to be inviting and elegant. It probably will only get used twice year.

My thoughts are: a queen bed, a nightstand on each side of the bed, a bench at the foot of the bed, and a chair or maybe a pair of chairs with a round side table. Other considerations would be a full length mirror or a dresser with a mirror above the dresser or just a mirror on a wall. Either mirror option would cost less. This room has a walk in closet that guests can use. Do not need a desk in here.

What do you think of this duvet cover? I purchased this from Pottery Barn but not sure about it. I would probably keep it folded at the bottom of the bed.
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/mckenna-paisley-duvet-cover-sham-blue/?pkey=call-bedding&;

Am purchasing this round table:

http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=54833&Furniture=Espresso+Round+Accent+Table+PWL-809-350

Style of beds I like:

http://www.kirklands.com/product/Collections-New-Arrivals/Shop-By-Room/Bedroom/Hamilton-Chestnut-Queen-Bed/pc/2384/c/2329/sc/2754/185519.uts

or

http://www.kirklands.com/product/Collections-New-Arrivals/Shop-By-Room/Bedroom/Nora-Queen-Headboard/pc/2384/c/2329/sc/2754/166083.uts

Do nail head beds go with any type of decor? If I use this style of headboard what goes with it for nightstands?

If I keep the duvet cover, what would you purchase for drapes and chairs?

Was thinking about a light color for the walls as long as it goes with the golden oak.

There currently is a dated ceiling fan in the room which I want to change to a fancier ceiling light, possible something with some bling.

I need help knowing what goes with what. I don't want the room to look like a miss mash of things. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

For a guest room I would identify what furniture must haves you need, for me it is the following:
    Queen bed
    Chair/bench for aging guests
    Mirror
    Fan
    Nightstand(s)
    Area for suitcase to layout if you have a walk in closet I might put a dresser in the closet.
    I like to keep it simple since my guests pack their needs.

If you like the bedding work with it, I think it very pretty but masculine enough for male guests.

I like both headboards, they both work, sorry....not much help there.

I think a pretty grey/cool blue or beige for walls.

I'd do a heavy drape with sheers. Some of my guests like to wake up to the sunshine some wanted it pitch black for sleep. I gave them both options.

If you only have guests twice a year take your time and bargain shop you mentioned cost, also always a consideration of mine. I always try to buy my hard goods: dressers, mirrors, tables,....at thrift or 2nd hand shops and opt to buy the rest new. Both beds are reasonably priced. I have the same budget and found some nice options on overstock. 13x13' is a nice size but not huge I'd resist overfilling it.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

You'll get more responses if you post the pics of your choices rather than links people have to cut and paste, I think. Here they are:
    duvet cover
    {{gwi:2137930}}

tables:
    {{gwi:2137931}}

bed choices:

I like the duvet cover a lot. Not sure about the tables, that style looks like it could be top heavy and easy to tip - would a lamp sit well on it? For me, an upholstered headboard would not be as appealing for me as a guest - knowing other peoples' heads would/could be against it and also that they are dust catchers.

• autumncolor5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olychick--Thank you for posting the pictures. I hadn't thought about the points you mentioned with the fabric headboard. Something to consider.

Thanks houseofsticks. The WIC is a small one. A dresser would be too tight in there.

• autumncolor5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone else have any ideas?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like the duvet cover a lot. I think the wooden headboard will look better than the upholstered, even though I like the second headboard a lot. I don't love the round table. Are you planning for it to be a night stand?

• cawaps
    9 years ago

The Nora headboard looks much grayer in the photo Olychick posted than what it looked like when I followed the link. When I followed the link it looked much more beige. With beige wal-to-wall carpeting, I think that a beige fabric headboard is too much beige. You also run the risk of having two beiges that don't match. I've definitely seen that problem many, many times. So for the bed, I'd definitely vote for the wood over the fabric.

I like that duvet. I've looked at it for myself more than once, but it's too traditional for my overall style. But I think it's great, and since the audience for it is not well-defined ("guests"), I wouldn't obsess too much about it.

I'm not great about matching patterns, but my rule-of-thumb has generally been that if I have a busy pattern like your duvet, my next choices would be a solid and a stripe. So I might look at something like this in a drape, with vertical stripes in blue and brown or beige:

{{gwi:2137934}}
    or this:

and pair it with solid (or textured) upholstery. Or I'd go vice-versa, with solid drapes and striped upholstery. Maybe leather for the bench, upholstery for the chairs.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I like the potterybarn duvet cover and both beds. I slightly prefer the wood bed. Don't love the round table. The first drape choice in the antique blue is nice.

I just bought a luggage rack from bed bath and beyond and it's getting good use.

I'm working on our guest room too, except it's going to get used a lot by my parents in the next 2 years.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Autumn, I would suggest that you look at nightanddayfurniture.com. You say this will be a seldom used room you don't want to put a lot of $$$ into. However, you want it to look nice. Furniture made by this company is ready to assemble (rta). I've had their Chameleon bed for about four years, and it still looks like new. At that time cost was about $550 for a double bed. It has a lot of custom options. The headboard panels pop off if you want to cover with your own fabric. The bedrail adjusts to two different heights. Other accessories include roll out under bed drawers and a fold out footboard bench. Matching nightstands, dressers, chests, mirrors, and desks are also available. I purchased less expensive wood rta under bed drawers from another company and stained them to match the bed. Two drawers were $110 and push further under so I'm not hitting my toes when making the bed in the morning. I only use a foam mattress, no box springs, and all guests have commented how well they sleep. They also have a four poster bed, rattan bed, and other styles. Unlike you, my bedroom is tiny. I used an entertainment drawer with a supporting corbel beneath from Kraftmaid on each side of the bed to allow easy access to the under bed drawers. These are in white and the bed is stained cherry. I purchased a rta cherry coffee table from Night & Day and cut up the top so the night stand tops would match the bed. The bottom line is to use your imagination to do what best meets your needs.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I'm not sure it would fit with your style, but I saw some really cool floating bedside tables. They are in my file, if you are interested in something like that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Love the duvet cover. I'd go with the taupe color on the walls and pick up the deeper blue for the drapes.

Not a fan of the end tables only because I'd prefer something with a small drawer. I put bed socks in mine and of course a bible (like any hotel!) for the guests.

If I recall correctly, I got the night stands from overstock. I went to the hotel liquidators and got the benches at a great price. Love having a bench at the foot of the bed for guests to place their luggage.

• autumncolor5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

emmarene--The round table will go by a chair for guests to put a lap top, a book, etc. on. No lamp on it either. I will use a floor lamp by the chair. I will have nightstands.

cawaps--Thank you so much for the photoshop you did and for all the suggestions.

pps7--Thank you. Please post pictures of your guest room when you are done.

Texasgal47--I will check out the furniture site you listed. A lot of unique features.

Steph2000--Thanks for the suggestion. That type of nightstand isn't my style, but nice idea.

Annie--Thank you. I will use actual nightstands on each side of the bed. Like you, I like at least one drawer in a nightstand. The table will be an accent table next to a chair for guests to use as they wish. Very nice bedroom you posted.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas. I really appreciate it. I am going to keep the duvet cover.

Once I get the room going I will post pictures.

• annac54
    9 years ago

I like that duvet cover and almost bought it. I needed something with less beige and a little more yellow/gold though. One thought about the wood bed, not everyone is used to sleeping with a footboard, and if they are tall, could be an issue. I prefer the wood to the upholstered one, so maybe you can find just a wood headboard, or a bed with a footboard that is not higher than the mattress. Looking forward to seeing your room come together.