Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

MBA Tile layout ideas?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Well its time to get back on track with our project.

I need to figure out tile in the MBA.Specifically for the portion of the MBA where the shower and toilet are; see below:

{{!gwi}}

For the wetroom portion of the MBA, I want to use small white unglazed square tile, set in running bond. Like below but ignore the border.

{{!gwi}}

I also want to use some unglazed aqua tiles (historic color).

Two questions -
1. the floor is long and skinny. Would you do any border or pattern?

2. The shower stall is a decent size but has a sloped ceiling. I think I should make it very plain, 6" white square set in running bond. Would you add anything else to it?

3. What would you do on the shower floor?

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the company whose tile I plan to use

Comments (11)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

A border will emphasize the long/skinny aspect--not necessarily a bad thing...just depends on the look you want. You could also do a design in the middle so the eye would be drawn to that as opposed to the long/skinny (unless you plan on using rugs in that spot).

LOVE penny rounds---shower floor, perhaps?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How would you throw in the aqua accent? It looks like the standard ways are below, given that I want a square mosaic floor.

thanks

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 13:07

• jmc01
    10 years ago

Our 1919 bathroom has M1601 but the accent is in burgundy (Restoration Tile's old burgundy). The idiot owners of our house in the 1980s covered it with travertine, whilch I'll be attempting to remove come spring.

Have you considered a greek key border?

• suero
    10 years ago

How about something like this for turquoise inserts?

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

1601, since you want one accent color. You could do a narrow 2-tile border and I don't think that would contribute too much to the long narrow appearance, although a border isn't necessary.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you want to add width to a narrow space, you can do it with diagonal lines. I would do a stack bond rather than running bond and put them all on the diagonal. You can then add the color tiles as a random pattern or as 4 dots together creating a diamond. All of the grout lines will add strong diagonals making it look wider.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

It wouldnt be period, but how about rows of aqua creating a striped floor? They could even be different widths and placed randomly. A modern twist using period material? And kind of beachy/cabana-y.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie, I am actually thinking of doing a big aqua stripe on the center of the wall where the shower head and diverter will be.

Annie, I don't really feel the need to make it look any different than it is, but I am mindful of its narrowness. I am using diamonds in the kitchen, BP and PR so I don't want it here.

Ineffable, I think that is the best choice too. Thanks.

Suero, those colors are great, but I dont want to use hex. I have used white hex in 3 of the full bathrooms here, as well as 4 of the full bathrooms in our old house! With white subway! I am really in a rut. This is me, being wild, using squares instead of hex and rectangles...

JMC, I used Greek key around the niche in the MBA in my old house, so I am kind of not into it anymore. What's a few thousand years of civilization ?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 16:20

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I think a 2 square aqua border would be interesting and then a few random aqua tiles like 1603

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We might do that Lyban. If you look at the original photo, that is not a very wide room either and the border is elaborate...

• suero
    10 years ago

The flower design using offset square tile, one with yellow centers. Please ignore the dark blue. This was a quick and very dirty mockup.