Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neenee

Another Initial Idea

Jeane Gallo
15 years ago

I decided I wanted to put our initial on the front door. To make it, I set the font as big as I could to fit on a standard sheet of paper. Then I drew it out freehand on posterboard using the letter to go by. Next, I cut it out. My BIL scroll sawed it for me using a nice, smooth plywood (I didn't even know that they made smooth plywood). Then I painted it and sealed it. I thought it turned out really cute. I tried hanging it with a green and turquoise ribbon, but I thought the ribbon detracted from it. Maybe a plain one would have been okay.

Comments (11)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Very, very cool!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

That's adorable!

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I love it! The colors/design are wonderful! Wish I had something like that for my house!

• denali2007
    15 years ago

Love it. Love the colors too.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

super cute! That is fabulous. I don't know what I expected, but I gasped when I saw the photo. So unique, and totally amazing. Love it! Good job. :o)

• cathrugg
    15 years ago

I love it too!!! Ask him if he'd like some orders, I am sure plenty of us would purchase lol.

I'd also love to know more about your door please! Are those plantation shutters on your sidelights? I am in the market for a new door and nothing is jumping out at me. But yours looks gorgeous!!!

Thanks for sharing your great idea!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

He did a great job with your great idea. A business partnership? I bet you would get lots of GW customers and others. That would work on the interior as well.

• Jeane Gallo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw shucks! Thank you for all the compliments. Yes, they are plantation shutters. We got them from a local blinds installer. We only put them on the sidelights because the ones installed inside of the window frames would prevent us from tilting the windows out to clean them. (Like I ever clean windows...RIIIIGHT!) The door is just a metal builders door with a Pella storm door on the outside.

If any of you are interested in my BIL making a letter for you, I'm sure he'd be glad to do it. He's out of work right now and has time on his hands. He's been laid off twice this past year. He makes bowls, ornaments and plaques and stuff out of wood and corian.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I need a letter for my door too...you can email me from my page! Yours is wonderful!
    Thanks,
    J

• cathrugg
    15 years ago

Will you please find out how much he'd charge for one? Shipping, etc. Does he have a font he uses or he cuts freehand? I'd like to see how an R would look.

It's the perfect bit of whimsy for my front door. I love it!

• Jeane Gallo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathrugg,
    I printed the font as large as I could on one sheet of paper, and then freehanded it onto a piece of posterboard. Then he cut it out. Go to my members page and email me and I'll send you his name, email and phone number. You can pick whatever font you want, as long it is standard in Word. I used the Curlz MT for mine. Some letters look better in different fonts. I can freehand a letter for you if you know what style of font you want. He hadn't done one before mine, so he doesn't have any prepared patterns.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH