Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcimato

Favorite bedroom colors

denali2007
14 years ago

Just wondering what everyone has painted their bedrooms that you just love. I am going to paint a guest room and it's a blank slate right now so I can go with anything.

Comments (17)

• sherean
    14 years ago

Lately, I am loving dark gray. It's so sexy and sleek and goes well with any other bright color. BlissLivingHome has some fabulous gray bedding with a bright citrine floral print. But you could pair with a hot pink or a navy blue; gray really is a fabulous neutral.

You know what I would do, though? I'd find some bedding or a pillow or a rug with a print that I just love and work the room color around that. Good luck to you!

• User
    14 years ago

We painted our guest bedroom SW Hinting Blue, which is a softer blue gray. We loved how calming the color is so much that we used it in our master bedroom as well. There are so many options available, it all really depends on what kind of feel you're interested in having in there. Sherean's suggestion to buy something with the colors you're drawn to in it is really going to be your best option. You won't have to struggle to match anything and you can pull your colors directly from it.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Our master bedroom and bath is painted RL Suede, green. Will take a picture & post when our room is not such a mess! It has been this color for 12 yrs. and I am not tired of it yet. Very calm, soothing color. You are fortunate you have a blank slate. Do you have your bedding yet? I would suggest picking that out first & go from there.

• hudsonleigh
    14 years ago

Years ago DH and I couldn't decide on a color for the master bdrm (he wanted blue, I think, and I wanted warm chamois or terracotta). We compromised on a medium herb-y green, almost and exact match to BM Urban Nature. 10 years later I still love it (even in the "new" house) and it has transitioned well with the changes in my decorating taste. I used to be a little bit country (heehee) with yellow-gold floral curtains and a patchwork quilt. Now we have a mix of earth-tones in the bedding, with kind of cinnamon colored curtains with a wide bottom trim of chocolate brown.

Anyway, I agree with Lukki about going with how you want the room to feel, and you might also consider if the room needs to serve other functions besides housing guests.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

We have mannered gold & love it! Good luck with your paint selection. Alot of pretty paint colors out there to choose from.

Bonnie

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Laura Ashley's Red Cayenne! We love it! We have mixed it with lots of white linens and white and brown furniture. It's striking and yet quite cozy. White linens are perfect with the paint color to help balance the red so we haven't had to spend a fortune on bed linens to make the room work.

But if you want a patterned bed cover I would choose the linens first. Much easier that way.

Have fun and please post pics when you are done!

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

In our guest bedroom we have RH Graphite on the ceiling and BM White Dove on the walls. Lighting in the picture is a little dull but it will give you the general idea.

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

I used BM Olive Branch. The comforter and curtains are a browned red color called Cinnamon Brandy. The carpet is a medium golden tan color. This is the first time I've been happy with my bedroom in 20 years.

Totally Confused

• ttodd
    14 years ago

SW Requisite Gray was really pretty - just a hair more saturation than I wanted so I am sampling w/ BM Edgecomb Gray soon.

I can't seem to handle 'real' color on my bedroom walls. Gets me too jumpy, depressed, etc. That said I can't handle white walls either (too jumpy, left feeling cold and empty) LOL so I've headed into 'rich neutral' territory and have been very pleased.

• msrose
    14 years ago

lukkiirish - Do you have a picture of your room? That sounds like a beautiful color.

My room isn't painted yet, but I'm planning to paint it BM Sandy Hook gray like in this picture.

Laurie

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Msrose, that's one beautiful bedroom! Love the colors. So warm and cozy.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh, I remember your room Msrose, it turned out lovely! You did a great job.

Here's some pictures of the hinting blue, it comes across more vibrant on screen, in person it's blue but still very calming. I also found an article in HouseBeautiful.com where designer Newell Turner had used the same color in the living room of his own home Here's pics:

{{!gwi}}

Our guest room

{{gwi:1538717}}

• msrose
    14 years ago

Oh no, that's not actually my room that I posted. It's a room that I'm trying to copy though.

Thanks for the pictures of hinting blue. I'm dying to paint something a soft blue.

Laurie

• petchie
    14 years ago

last year someone posted a link to a blog. The writer was speaking of greens that that BM Par Four was a perfect green with no blue undertones. Decided to try it on my Bedroom and LOVE it. The dog ate the digital camera so I cannot take a picture, but it is a gorgeous green.

BR #2 is SW Ancient Marble

BR#3 is a SW purple/grey whose name escapes me.

I am even debating painting my living level Par Four.

• liljenster
    14 years ago

I am new to gardenweb but being a new homeowner, I am now fascinated by paints and this forum. We just did our guest room in BM buxton blue, a historic color. I love it and you can do many different themes with it. I haven't decorated yet, but think I will do cottage/coastal.

• User
    14 years ago

Laurie - Well I can see why you'd want to copy it! Ha! It's beautiful. I never thought I'd like the blue as much as I do. I wish I would have known about the forum when we painted, I've since discovered probably 100 shades of blue I would have loved to use!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

2 others that I like and have used:

Valspar Silverware for our boys room. It's am old color. Pale grey blue more on the blue side.

From the old Sears/ K-Mart line: Marths Stewart Mercury Glass. Warm Grey/ Purple. Used MG in a hallway in the house DH and I rented pre-digital camera days and it was lovely.

From the same MS line Quaking Aspen. Sort of the 'green' answer to Restoration Hardware Silver Sage. I used it in our DR in the same house.

A red that I used once in our MBR at this house was also from Lowes and called Ruby Lips. It was beautiful w/ wood furniture and crisp white lace curtains.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath