Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailsa94

How Did We Decorate in 2000?

ailsa94
9 years ago

Please climb into your Way-Back Machine, and re-visit the home dec trends of the very late 90s, and very early 2000s.

I need inspiration and/or pictures for a living room and kitchen for a very upper middle class, upscale family in Tulsa, OK, in 2001. This is for a stage set for an upcoming production.

Help! Many, many thanks. -- Cass

Comments (20)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Check Pinterest for photos of living rooms by the late interior designer Charles Faudree -- who lived and worked in Tulsa. He wrote six design books that may help you design the stage set .....

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

Teacats beat me to it! Tulsa? Early 2000s? Grab Charles Faudree's first two books. And for some reason, a certain shade of sagey green always makes me think of Tulsa decor.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

Tuscan kitchens were big in the late 90's-2000 and wallpaper borders were still being hung.... but, Tulsa?? don't know!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Also check out Jack Arnold, architect in Tulsa.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Ha! That was the year we did a whole house remodel, and I did a LOT of looking at magazines, shopping, and spending time here. Ahh, memories.

The country/primitive/shabby chic thing was still going strong.

Lots of dark shiny cherry cabinets and green countertops. And light maple shaker style cabinets with contrasting red or green knobs. Every store had the dining sets with wood tops and white, green, or red painted legs.

Sage green was big. Also gold, beige, tan. I looked at many couches that had mixed florals/checks/stripes. Berber carpet was everywhere!

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Except Faudree was mostly french country, which gained popularity in the mid-2000's, and even today, it's not that popular. Although it's my favorite style!

Although Faudree lived there, Tulsa is still behind the times in decorating compared to the east and west coasts.

I'm from Tulsa, wish I knew who you were talking about. :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

You all beat me to it. Charles Faudree all the way.

Lol Oak I love your home!

• selcier
    9 years ago

I must be stuck in the 2000s 'cause I like a lot of this guy's rooms. :)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I would look at the online real estate listings. I'll bet there are many homes built and decorated in the early 2000's that still have the same decor. I looked at a few that are in the 799k to 1mil range...not sure what a upper middle income home would have been priced in 2000 to now.

I think you'll get some good ideas, if you look.

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

We Okies may tend to be behind the times, but I recall country French being big in Tulsa even in the early 90s. I've suspected it was the influence of Charles Faudree and other designers and antiques dealers in the area who gravitated to that look. But it may predate them. It seems to me that Tulsa's older upper-crust neighborhoods had a lot more French-inspired architecture than, say, my Oklahoma City neck of the woods.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Nutherokie, puting my thinking cap on I tend to agree with you. Too bad it's expensive to decorate the way CF did.

I think you and I are in the same neck of the woods!

• roarah
    9 years ago

In my neck of the woods, New England, theFaudree was 90s by 1999-2001 TSGTG look was already very prevalent in upper and upper middle class. Remember, the film was released in 2003 and probably filmed at least a year prior to that. Popular shows in 2000 were Sex in the City, The Sopranos, The Gilmore Girls Dawson's Creek and the West Wing. Might be worth taking a look at movies and tv shows from the early 2000s.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

There was a duplicate post in conversations and I saw it over there first and answered and then it disappeared.

We were building a house in '99 and I well remember it being hard to find some things that were leading edge of the decorating world. Maybe it was a factor of our location. So does the location of this fictitious home matter? Is a sophisticated city home or Florida vacation home?

Anyway, I remember touring lots of new houses for ideas, and I still saw lots of oak cabinets, white and black appliances. Stainless hadn't really hit it big yet, and granite was just starting to appear, so you saw a lot of solid surface.

In decorating I was looking for chrome or brushed nickel and had a hard time finding a good selection. There was still a lot of brass. Also a lot of brass still in door & cabinet hardware and in accessories (candle holders, etc).

Yes, to the sage paint in the late 90's, and the neutrals were beginning to be popular. Lots of beige.

Good luck with your set!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If they are upper middle class and established, unless they had just moved in to a brand new house, I would skew early mid 1990s for most of the decorating with a couple decorative touches that said "2001".

• bbstx
    9 years ago

red, gold, and sage green. Heavy damask bedspreads with a million coordinating pillows and a heavy velvet throw artfully draped over the foot of the bed. Pictures of animals in heavy gold frames. Heavy runners on dining tables with cathedral type candelabras. Swags or balloon shades over windows. Heavily decorated cabinet tops - lots of silk ivy, metal scroll work, etc. (Notice a trend here....HEAVY). Silk palm trees.

This is not my picture, but it seems to embody everything I remember about that period.
    {{gwi:2137781}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote de Texas article Then and Now

• roarah
    9 years ago

Wow is it generational or regional. I remember everybody wanting their home to look like a page out of pottery barn and our houses or, in many cases, apartments had big oversized white sofas like monica's or Lorilei's. Panel linen drapes puddling the floor. Neutral color everything. My peer group was just starting to settle down and most of us were sans kids still. I had stainless steel appliances and a white kitchen put in my first home in 1999. The tuscan thing never really happened for us. The decor was not that far off from what I still see in some blogs today? I can not be the only one who sees this. Am I crazy?

edited to add a link to a movie filmed in the town where my family has had a "camp" since the 40s.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to a 1999 movie that epitomizes how my cohorts were decorating in 2000

This post was edited by roarah on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 21:30

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I have an Osborne and Little wallpaper that Faudree used in almost every house. It is not dated, it is divine!

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Wallpaper for sure. Also -- Shorter drapes. But, I think it is the things that define as well -- CRT televisions,microwaves on the kitchen counter, large desk top computers, telephones - radio and/connected with long cords. VCRs.

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

Oakley, we're not too far from you. I remember your town because I get hungry when I think of it!

Roarah, I definitely think there is something of a regional factor at work. It's my impression that the neutral/linen thing didn't take hold here 'til quite a bit later (and I don't think it ever gained the predominance it seems to have elsewhere).

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Roarah- it absolutely is regional. I'm out in flyover country, and we're generally five years behind the coasts.

I do remember that as we were finishing up our remodel, one of the installers for our blinds told me my house looked like it could be in the PB catalog, and I thought it was the greatest compliment! LOL