Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace my softside water bed with another or get latex?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 11:53

Over the past thirty years or so we've had two softside water beds. Obviously, we've liked them. Now it is time for a new bed (and we are also contemplating moving up to a king from a queen). After tons of research, I decided latex was the way to go. But, we still sleep very comfortably on our top-of-the-line, twenty year old, baffled softside waterbed. We've got the kind with two bladders so each person can adjust his or her own side for different comfort levels. So, now I've started to wonder whether we should switch to some other type of mattress when we like what we have. Plus, we are in our mid sixties so wrestling with a mattress to rotate it, move it etc. will only become more difficult as we age.

Granted, waterbeds are a pain to initially set up, and over the years we have had a couple leaks. And, you are supposed to open them up periodically put in conditioner. But, once set up they are ready to go and don't need to be rotated or flipped. Getting them into place initially is a breeze since they are lightweight until filled with water. Want a different comfort level or more or less firmness? Change the amount of water.

Latex sounds quite nice, but getting exactly the right mattress combination for sleeping comfort can be difficult. They are heavy and difficult to rotate and flip.

Is there anyone here who moved from a softside waterbed to a different type of bed and liked it? What would people suggest as far as a bed type to replicate the feel of a good softside waterbed?

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace my softside water bed with another or get latex?

Mattresses are such a matter of personal taste. It's also a really sleazy industry, so be careful.

I have friends who are in their '60s who got a latex mattress a few years ago and absolutely love it. If I had the money and had to get a new mattress, I'd go with latex (I have Natura natural latex pillows, and LOVE them).

If you like what you have, though, why change it?

As for flipping mattresses, most now are not two-sided (another area where the mattress industry has gone down hill). Not sure about latex mattresses, though.

o

I completely understand what you are saying about the sleazy mattress industry. We did find a good quality latex mattress from the Original Mattress Factory that is two sided and can be flipped.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to hear if other have faced this dilemma and what they've done.

o

Are they still making waterbeds the same as the ones you've liked in the past? If so - why mess with success.

I did a ton of research before getting my latex bed and it did take some experimentation tweaking to get it right (ie I needed to add a wool pad and now its the most comfy thing in the world). Long story short - go with local manufacturers who build the mattress locally so you get a much better quality at lower cost and the option to customize it - rather than nationally distributed brand names (ie youre paying for shipping and advertising and don't have an option to customize or adjust it after purchase.)

o

Years ago we had a waterbed. It was comfortable, but I liked to move the furniture around in the bedroom, and couldn't. DH got tired of the waterbed, so we bought a latex mattress. It was comfortable, but I got too hot. I tried a cotton mattress pad, wool topper, etc. but nothing helped. We now have an air mattress.

I'd keep the waterbed as long as you are happy with it.

o

I went from a no-baffle waterbed (loved it) to baffles (missed the movement) to a soft-sided which for the life of me I cannot remember why I didn't bring with me when I moved esp as it was expensive and wasn't old. ? I ended up with a pillow-top from a local manufacturer with a separate layer of coils in the top. Its about 10 years old now and will need replacing in the next year or so I think. My orig waterbeds lasted longer. I wanted latex when I bought this one, but had bought a latex pillow first, and found I couldn't tolerate the smell of the latex. Ruled out tempurpedic the same way; I woke up with a stuffed nose and headache with the pillow...I'll probably get the same mattress again.

o

Love out Tempurpedic! Will never again have anything else.

o

I'm with Sis2two: I've slept on reg waterbeds, soft sided waterbeds, latex foam & spring coil mattresses, our Tempurpedic is the best sleep I've ever had. Recently, though, we got a new inexpensive latex foam mattress for theguest room and it's pretty good!

We got our Tempurpedic after sleeping on one at a hotel--I don't think I would've had the guts to spend so much money on a mattress otherwise! Do you know anyone with a latex mattress who'll let you try theirs out for a night?

o

Baroo2u--

That is exactly the problem with buying a mattress--you have to buy it first in order to be able to actually sleep on if for a night. And, once you've purchased, it's your for life probably; from what I've been reading, exchanges and/or returns aren't a simple as they are made out to be by the salespeople. I wish I did know someone with a latex mattress so I could try it out.

I know several of you are endorsing tempurpedic, but I've been reading that the problem with many o0f them is that they sleep hot. True?

Anyone else out there with softside waterbed experience? Thanks much.

o

needinfo1-we also are in the market for a new mattress and leaning toward latex. I bought a thick memory foam topper from overstock last year (it wasn't cheap by any means but cheaper than a new mattress) to give it a try and we ended up hating it. Way way too hot for me. I am a mover and I felt 'trapped' in this mattress, like sleeping in sand. I would still move but it was work to do so. Not great sleep.

That said my parents swear by their Tempurpedic and again it's a full mattress not just a topper.

They are so expensive it's a tough tough call to know what you will end up comfortable in. I am hoping to go latex but we are waiting for our build to finish to buy one. Yikes - all new appliances needed and a new mattress all at once. Ouch.

o

One of my sons has princess and the pea syndrome -- know what I mean? We went through a lot to get his current mattress and it is a latex one. He loves it and it seems very comfortable to me. My brother and SIL have slept on it and said they'd take it home with them if it was a king rather than a queen. I would have liked a latex for us but DH wasn't as sold. When we replace this mattress, I will look at latex again.

What we wound up with for ourselves was a hybrid -- an innerspring with layers of latez and memory foam on top. DH wanted the innerspring and this was the one we could agree on. We tried the memory foam, including tempurpedic. We had heard they slept hot but have also been told that was an earlier problem and they have improved. Certain styled may have more of those features, so ask about them. For us the Tempurpedic issue was the movement. I wondered what it would be like to roll over while asleep and I'm pretty sure DH would wake and not sleep well.

Mattress shopping is hard and returns are not as easy as they make them seem (had that issue with my son). Read the fine print before you buy and take your time. Lay on a mattress and stay in the positions you know you sleep most in for several minutes -- until you can feel your body settle into the mattress, Notice whether you are feeling pressure points, whether your hips are elevated or sinking, whether your spine is straight or dipping. I think most people are too embarrassed to lay on a mattress and try to use their hands or a quick stretch out to test the mattress. You need the whole body test, a pillow similar to the type you use and several minute or more on each mattress to know how it will feel. If you do that, your chances of wanting to return a mattress will be greatly reduced -- hopefully limited to getting that occasional lemon.

o

Temperpedic lover here, we have them in our guest rooms and everyone who stays over wants to buy one. Go try one out and see what you think. I deal with constant pain and this mattress handles it the best. You don't have any sensation of leaning and feeling pressure, it's like floating.

o

Latex is sometimes considered a safer/greener mattress choice to avoid certain chemicals and off-gassing concerns. If that's the reason for considering latex, I wouldn't consider temperpedic an alternative. I understand that many people are not concerned about those issues or think they are bunk and I don't want to start a debate on the issue at all. I just wanted to mention that for some purposes some people might consider latex but not temperpedic. I include a link simply to illustrate the concern, not trying to convince anyone or say that you should trust this source or anything.

We have a latex mattress from IKEA and love it. It is about five years old now and still very comfortable for us. We liked it so much we bought another for our guest bed in a previous home and my parents said it was extremely comfortable for them too. Even better it was cheap! We are planning to replace ds' bunk beds with a double in the next few months at his request and we will definitely be buying another IKEA latex mattress.

That said, I probably wouldn't mess with success and would simply try to buy another of the waterbed mattresses you are already happy with

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Jones article on mattress off-gassing

o

I know that no matter how silly I'll feel once we narrow down our choices I will need to spend a good half hour in the store trying the thing out. I just wish I could find a store with both a soft sided waterbed and a latex mattress on display. But, it is not going to happen since they are both fairly unique, rather than mainstream, products.

crl--

Yes, I am aware of the off-gassing issue; it is not a major issue for me but a bit of a concern.

We have actually been to Ikea and looked at their latex mattresses. Do you have the Sultan Edsele, their top-of-the-line that is 85% natural latex and 15% synthetic? They also have another one that is about half the price because it is all synthetic.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here