Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Source for LED candelabra base bulbs

bbstx
10 years ago

I am looking for LED candelabra based light bulbs. The bulbs are for my foyer sconces. Because there are only 2 fixtures in the foyer and no ceiling light, I need as much light as I can get with as little heat as possible to protect the sconce shades..

I have read that I need to look at lumens rather than watts. I found this chart below. The first number is watts and the second is the equivalent lumens.

40 450
60 800
75 >1,100
100 1,600
150 2,600

I would like at least 800 lumens, but I'm having trouble finding a source.

Anyone know of a source for what I'm looking for?

Comments (12)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Do a google search - there are plenty although you'll have to search for the right base, tip and no. of lumens. You should also know what "color temperature" bulbs you want. We tend to like those that are "3000" but others like them either warmer (2700?) or cooler (which tend to look too blue to me - 4000 and up). Is there a Lowe's near you - they have a huge selection of bulbs.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You may not find it. From what I see, they are making the LEDs to replicate what was offered in incandescent. I don't recall ever seeing a candelabra base incandescent bulb over 40 watts.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I should have included in my original message that I have done a Google search but couldn't find the lumens I wanted.

Good to know what color temperature to look for, too. I had no idea which way to turn on that.

gw, I've had incandescent candelabra base bulbs before that were 60w. I was hoping I could find the equivalent in LEDs.

I found a company called Sexy LEDs. They have a 430 lumens candelabra base bulb, but it is sold out. They also have a 400 lumens. Doesn't sound like much difference to me, but I know nothing about lumens. Is 400 lumens substantially less than 430 lumens?

I am a little hesitant to give $60 (price of 2 bulbs) to something called Sexy LEDs. Anyone know anything about the company? Are they legit?

• Gooster
    10 years ago

My local NorCal Costco has a 3 pack of the 40W FEIT dimmable LED bulbs for 19.99. I am swapping my foyer lights out, because they tend to be on the longest. They are 3000K, so they are a bit of a bright white color. Not certain I like them for a foyer -- they are distinctly whiter than the incandescents. In California, some new Title 24 regulations are kicking in, so the choice is widening. I too would consider 60W, but they do seem pricey for the number I need.

I managed to find a number of 60W equivalents via a google search for "+60W LED Candelabra bulb"

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Shopping Search, No Affiliation

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought 2 7watt LED bulbs for the sconces. Each is 500 lumens and 3000 kelvin. The sconces aren't installed yet. Although they will be hardwired, they came with plugs, so I tested the LED bulbs. THEY ARE BRIGHT! I did not notice the light being especially blue. I am pleased. Hope I continue to be pleased when the sconces are installed.

Oh, the brand LED I purchased was FEIT. I got it from Amazon.com.

Thanks for all the help and information! I checked back here several times while I was ordering to make sure I knew what I was getting.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Let us know how the Feit lights turn out. I've had mostly good luck with them, and their LEDs are bargains for those looking for highest brightness for the buck.

Ikea sells several excellent LED candelabra bulbs in 200 and 400 lumen sizes at reasonable prices ($7 to $9), in clear or frosted, plus one that looks like a regular-sized light bulb but has a small candelabra base. These give off excellent color quality light that's all but indisinguishable from incandescent bulbs, not the dull off-colors you get from CFLs or lower-quality LEDs. Only caveat is that none of these are dimmable. Avoid their low-brightness (less than 100 lumen) candelabra bulbs, they don't give off good light.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The FEITs that I purchased are dimmable. However, considering they will be the only light in the area, I don't know that I will ever dim them. (Gotta go check to see if I even had a dimmer put on that switch. hmmmm...)

I had no idea that $20/bulb was a bargain!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

This post prompted me to go look at my candelabra stash and see what I had. Interesting, the "same" bulb comes in two different lumens. I don't know where I got them or how long I've had them or if they are no longer available.

if you zoom in on them one is a "B Type" and one is a "CA type" whatever that means. CA has more lumens. And apparently 2x life is better than double life. Who knew!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I believe Lowes has what you want. We use candelabra bulbs (the curly kind..lol) in our pendents.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendyb, I think I'd go for the 2x since it has greater lumens than the double life bulb. (Y'all ought to be hearing serious sarcasm!)

• Sohm
    10 years ago

I'm reading this post because I noticed someone asked about SEXY LEDs. I purchased several LEDs through the actual SEXY LED company (not through Amazon.com). We paid nearly $300 for some bulbs in early January, 2014. A month later we have yet to receive our bulbs and no one from the company is answering calls or emails. I've just filed a claim with PayPal. I'm not sure how it will all turn out, but I wanted to give people a heads up in case they're thinking about ordering from this company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sexy LEDs

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the warning, Sohm. I just had to be wary of something called "Sexy LEDs"