Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yollies_gw

Help finish family room

Yollies
9 years ago

Hi all. I need help with finishing our family room in our fairly new to us house. It will be used as an informal family room for TV watching and relaxing.
View through to the kitchen.
{{gwi:2137689}}
Fireplace that we never use. Tall windows with blinds only.
{{gwi:2137690}}
Leather couch with scatter cushions to give idea of colors.
{{gwi:2137691}}
View toward stairs.
{{gwi:2137692}}
Huge open wall that goes up to two stories high on one end. The interior of the house is painted the same yellowish color. I have started on repainting the bathrooms and bedrooms. I have no idea how to break up this space. Media towers are new and still empty.
{{gwi:2137693}}

{{gwi:2137694}}

We are planning on getting a love seat to face the TV. Would love ideas on color and style of sofa that would work
{{gwi:2137695}}

As you can see, the space is very empty and could do with improvement. Would love to make it more inviting and not the echoing space that it is at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you are able, I'd get a second sofa and make an L with the two sofas. Either that, or two comfy chairs with a table between them, also forming an "L" with the sofa.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think this might be a better arrangement for your room with your existing furnishings.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I like beverly27's idea, my thought was if you do not use the fireplace why is the room oriented to face it? The other idea I had was a fireplace candelabra. I had one for a few years. Put a large mirror in the back of the firebox and candles in front of that , go without a door or grate across the front. Easy, inexpensive and give off a nice "warm" glow. If you have no other chairs I would have the couch placed across from the TV. It appears you have room for it.

• Yollies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for input. We are planning on buying a sofa or two chairs to add to the room. This house is bigger than our previous house, and we've had to spread our furniture out between the family room and sitting room. The reason I have the couch facing the fireplace is because I like looking out the windows into the backyard. I will give the other layout a try as moving the furniture wouldn't be difficult.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Paging CarolT for a pic of the setup of your FR!

• carolt924
    9 years ago

First off, sorry, still haven't worked on posting more than one picture at a time.
    I think both options presented work in your room, but you need to decide how you want/need the room to function. We wanted to maximize seating and my husband and I love that we can both lay down and watch TV or whatever at the same time, each having our own couch. When we want to sit and talk we each sit on the end of a sofa where they meet with the end table, so it's kinda like having two chairs too. I also like arcy's idea of the fireplace candelabra, as it would highlight your great fireplace.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Another view

• Yollies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, CarolT. The room would be a space to relax in. We have regular family movie nights with our two elementary school aged kids. The two of them basically take up an entire couch's space by themselves. I think another couch set up in an L shape would be more practical than two chairs. We have another room out front that is more of a "sitting"room.

I am going to look for pictures of fireplace candelabra, it does sound quite interesting.

What color couch would people suggest? And would you do any kind of drapery on the windows or just leave as is? The top picture window doesn't have any kind of covering.

I realized that if we move the TV to another wall, that I will not be able to watch anything while busy in the kitchen. I do sometimes like to have the TV on while cooking.

Thanks for everybody's input! Such a lot of knowledge and ideas to tap into!

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Yollies-I have three children one married and two away at college, when everyone is home this is the room we are using. I like that everyone is comfortable in the room and enjoy the space.

Prior to my room re-do, you don't want to see the before pics (haha), I did'nt have any window coverings on my patio door or the windows flanking the fireplace and did not think I would want any, but I like the warmth and softness they bring to the room. I have faux roman blinds on the windows
    and panels on the patio door which are normally open for the view.

Although I can see the TV from my kitchen table, I can't while at the stove or sink wall, plus are we really watching the TV while cooking or just listening or using it as background noise?

Regarding sofas and window coverings, what feel to do want in your room, warm and cozy, cool, light and airy? These decisions will guide your choices regarding colors and fabrics. If your keeping some of the pieces in the room, use those as a starting point to look for upholstery pieces and case goods.

If you go the two couch route, look into a large square coffee table, great for playing games and some special display pieces. I love mine, it is on coasters and has two full size drawers to store blankets, pillows and other misc. items. Plus, I always love a sofa table, see pic!

Enjoy the process and keep us updated along the way!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I 2nd CarolT: When it comes to coffee tables, go BIG.

Free-floating sofas: put a console table behind it/them.

Square table in the joint the two sofas form.