Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justinea_gw

suggestions, ideas, photoshop help for stucco ranch exterior

justinea
9 years ago

We just purchased this rancher in an east coast beach town. The roof is new and a light gray color; it won't be changed. I do need help with painting the exterior of the home. I am looking for a beachy feel- subtle not wild and crazy.

Any ideas you have are most appreciated. I'm not used to a house without shutters and am not sure what if anything can be highlighted. The front door is tucked away in the "portico" type area.

I have another pic of the house but will post in a different message because I don't know how to post more than one pic in a message.

Comments (22)

• justinea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is an updated pic but I do not like the adobe color with the gray roof.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Aquas are always nice, but I'm not sure that new paint will make the house look more beachy or more attractive even. If the current coat of paint is in good condition & the color not objectionable, I'd think about sinking money into landscaping. A prettier walkway, better planting beds, and landscape lighting would do more to make this little gem of a home shine.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I agree with Awm03. It looks like there is a Palm growing too close to the foundation.

• Fori
    9 years ago

It has some interesting details that might be worth accentuating with more than one color paint. It definitely seems to have a top and bottom half.

Was it painted between photos one and two? Or are your gloomy days that dramatic? :)

Both colors you've pictured are okay--it looks fresh enough in the second that I'd try to love with it BUT I still think a complementary color for the details would liven it up.

And yeah, landscaping. You could plant up what's there and do alright, but have a future plan in the back of your mind while you do it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

A coastal home? I'm not even a hint of a "flashy" person and I would have to restrain myself from not painting it nautical blue or flamingo pink. I love ocean homes! Restrained color. Hm. Why not keep the second picture color? It may be the comparison to the sad grey picture, but really, I thought, ah! much better when I saw the 2nd photo.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Not that this is such a super rendition, but at least you can see how pulling landscaping forward relieves some of the flatness of the house's front. Better to landscape than to try to pick out architectural details with different paint colors or shades. Keep the house simple, dress it up with plants and lights.

• justinea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, AWM, that looks great. Landscaping will do a lot for this lil rancher. Thank you.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Plantation shutters on the interior look nice from the outside too.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I love the landscaping that awm posted. I agree. The paint color is neutral. Spend your money on good landscaping.

If you want a little more interest, would Bermuda shutters work?

{{gwi:2137675}}

[Tropical Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2108) by Itasca Window Treatments Roll-a-way Storm and Security Shutters

{{gwi:2137676}}

[Traditional Spaces[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2107) by Longwood Specialty Contractors Sun Barrier Products

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

How about white with pale lavender upper trim and colorful landscaping? Oh, and some really nice exterior lighting.

{{gwi:2137677}}

EDITED: meant to write TRIM not TRIP!

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 21:19

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I agree, some pretty landscaping and shutters really would transform your house. Here it is left the same color:

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of different colors. What colors are you leaning towards?

• justinea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input. The plantation shutters add a lot to those bare glass windows.

Call me crazy but I was thinking of a pale pink to go with the gray roof. I do think the landscaping makes a much bigger impact than I realized.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Here is some coral color. Around here some people do a tiled design of some sort on the exterior wall. Not sure how beachy you want to go. I changed your door location and brought it out a few feet closer to the front. I also took away the masonry slants. Its only money lol!
    {{gwi:2137678}}

Edited to add: I really think the door would look good relocated. Then, I think a coral color house and maybe a white door would look really nice.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 11:39

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

There are some stucco homes in our neighborhood that remind me of yours (but we are very landlocked, coastal/beachy is at least 2 hours away). It is neat to see this style home in another location!

I agree w/the others that changing the landscape will make the biggest impact.

Pink seems like it would be a nice option, or maybe a coral (since your neighbor has an aqua home). But if you are choosing between paint OR landscape, I'd pick landscape. Then, depending on what colors end up in your landscape, you might have an easier time choosing a color for your home :-)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Here you go. I didn't think I would like the pink, but it looks pretty good.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

More coral:

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

What exterior colors are used in your neighborhood/area?

• justinea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, you all are good. The house next to us is blue, the house behind yellow, and the other house close by is white. That's kinda why I wanted to pick a house color that is different from theirs.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

magdalena put together what I really was envisoning when I said flamingo pink. It's not really all that pink, but I, guess coral. Yep, that's it! Really good with the landscaping and shutters. Perfection. I'm glad someone can make it look real.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2137674}}

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2137679}}

• justinea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm leaning to the light pink with lots of great landscaping. Now, just to figure out what will grow in the full sun of Florida.