Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Stone or wood flooring for this powder room?

juddgirl2
16 years ago

I have to decide soon on whether I want to continue the wood flooring from the foyer into the powder room or if I need to select another type of flooring. DH thinks it's easier to continue the wood, but I'm wondering if travertine or porcelain tile might be a better choice - for cleanliness and aesthetics.

I don't have a wall color selected yet, but the wood flooring will be wide plank eastern white pine in a dark stain, and all the items in the room are dark, so wouldn't a lighter floor be better? If so, I don't have much knowledge re travertine or porcelain tiles, so if anyone has any advice as to what color or style would look good in this setting, I would really appreciate any information that would help me decide.

Comments (13)

• nami
    16 years ago

Hi juddgirl2, The sink you have picked out for your powder bath is very pretty so is everything else. To me the items you've picked out read very old world so travertine - in an antique finish(honed surface and tumbled edges)would look very nice.
    We have travertine in our powder bath in a honed finish and we like it. We need to seal it once in 8 - 10 months and cleanup is a breeze on any tile natural or porcelain.
    When you go to pick out travertine make sure you ask the dealer to tell you about the fills.
    Travertine is a cousin to limestone basically, but is found in areas where there are natural hot springs or geysers hence when the water leaves the rock deposit it leaves holes in it. When tile is made these holes are filled and then the tile is polished or if you buy tumbled travertine these holes will not be filled and the edges will have a less defined rustic look.
    Have fun !

Nami

• msrose
    16 years ago

I took these pictures in a couple of houses that were decorated with an old world style. I think they would look great in your bathroom.

or you could do something like this:

Laurie

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

I think the stone would look great. It would provide a nice contrast to the wood. Love your sink plan!

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

With the elements you've selected for the room (very pretty), I think I'd go with the stone.

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Go to the thread for mudroom flooring for examples of travertine and other flooring.
    Jo

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I have both and love both so this is a hard choice. We opted to continue the wood into our powder room and don't have any problem with keeping it clean. It's got several coats of poly on it. In my Master Bath, I have the Antiqued, Chiseled travertine like msrose has shown above. I like that one too. Geez, I'm no help!

Here's our powder room:

• les917
    16 years ago

Tumbled stone of some kind would be nice, as would slate, imo. I am sure the wood would be fine and look nice, but it might be fun to have something different.

When you say everything in the room is dark, are you also talking about the toilet? The color of that item might have an influence on the choice as well.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice and pictures! I will head out to the tile stores and start looking for a nice tumbled travertine. Not sure how DH will feel about unfilled holes, as he has strong preferences for smoother finishes for cleaning purposes, but I think the tumbled stone pictured looks beautiful.

Msrose - the first floor in your first picture was just what I had in mind but the stone in the second picture is so beautiful it makes me consider taking the stone up the wall and behind the vanity.

lindybarts - I love your bathroom, especially your vanity light. Now I wish I had chosen one with upright sconces!

les - I wasn't including the toilet, which will probably be a soft white or bisque finish.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

juddgirl, you can turn your fixture so that it goes either way. However, the disadvantage of it being upright is the lighting isn't as good and it's a bug catcher. I just like it facing up though.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

My brother ruined his floor in his powder room when his toilet had a small leak in the wax seal- it went undetected until the floor buckled, the wood had been absorbing the water, so no visible evidence of water was around the toilet.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Hey juddgirl...I was just playing with your choices this morning. I don't know how dark your stain is going to be but this wood floor is Wide Plank Eastern Pine. Oops, should have moved that mirror up, but you get the idea.

{{!gwi}}

Walnut Travertine in a Versaille pattern
    {{!gwi}}

• athoele
    16 years ago

IMO I would go with a stone. I have had both and it seems like even if a wood is sealed well you always have that worry in the back of your mind about water damage. (At least for me) You have alot of dark pieces going on there already and it would really showcase your vanity with a floor that doesnt blend so much with it. Great choices BTW, I think its going to look beautiful when its done.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - thanks so much for photoshopping both choices for me, lindybarts! I'm such a visual person that seeing both really helps me feel good about using the travertine - and I was even considering a green wall color, so you're really good!